Great Jones (2003)

HouseBond No. 9
SupplierRobertet
Parent CompanyLaurice & Co

About Great Jones

A range of 16 fragrances for men and women, each representing different districts of New York. More information here.

Great Jones fragrance notes

Reviews of Great Jones

Very nice citrus/floral scent at the beginning. Then turns into a soft musk that I love. This is my second Bond No. 9 and I am very pleased with it. It lasts a very long time on me.
06th March, 2014
Superior citrus scent in my book. Most reminiscent of Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet, but not cloying and harsh as that scent can become.

Great Jones - I wonder what the name signifies? - is a clean, bright orange citrus that I find quite the best in that category that I have ever encountered.

Too bad the Bond line is so expensive. If it were more affordable, I would add a bottle to my collection. As is, I will make do with the memory of the sample - these are readily available and cheaply on Ebay. Treat yourself to one.
16th December, 2013
I hated this when I first put it on, but then realized you have to apply this on the arm or chest only, and then in small amounts...It smells ok in very small doses, but too much like a strong green bar of soap up close. Better than most Bn9s, but I couldn't pull it off...
28th January, 2013
Initial spray is kind of floral. Quickly, it turns woodsy. For confident guys only. Funny thing, the first time I smelled this it reminded me of Alberto VO 5. Didn't know if I wanted to spray it on my skin or my hair. But this one is OK.
12th October, 2012
A basic masculine woody chypre in the 70's/80's style. It's vaguely modernized with the addition of tangy orange to the topnotes (to cut down on that dated bergamot smell), but it's basically a blast from the past - That classic interplay of bergamot with a base of moss, vetiver, and patchouli with woods in the middle. I personally think it's unnecessary to try to compare Great Jones to any particular classic, because just about every men's scent released between the late 60's and the mid 80's had all these same notes doing the same thing.

My only issue with Great Jones is a bit esoteric. There's no tension. Imagine a great classic woody chypre like Yatagan. It has the same basic structure as Great Jones, but it's the weird sweaty pine that makes Yatagan great, that tension between good and gross taking place on top of the complex woody chypre structure. Great Jones gets the complex structure perfectly but lacks the interesting stuff on it. It's technically perfect, but in being so polished, it lacks the roughness that makes great woody chypres interesting. It's up to you if you think this is a problem. For those who dislike many classics because of the ugly oily or dank herbal undertones, Great Jones may be a godsend. But for those who enjoy the excitement of a classic with the funk intact, Great Jones may be a little too comfortable.

All in all, I think it's well done and I wouldn't turn down a free bottle, but for the price, you could get Derby or BDP, the two absolute best examples of this genre, and I'd go with either of them before Great Jones. But I still think Great Jones deserves a thumbs up for a job well done, if not TOO well...
04th July, 2012
Great Jones by Bond No. 9 - One is initially treated to a tangy, citrus wave furnished by a fresh orange and the bittersweet and peppery bergamot. This somewhat invigorating blend percolates a bit before transitioning to the receptive middle. Here, in the heart, a robust cedar, with its dry woodiness and an ever so slightly citronella-like aspect commingles with cardamon, with its fairly spicy and sweetish elements along with a hint of anise. A clean, musky background adds some soapiness to the mix. Segueing to the trite base, vetiver imparts its green and moist dirt facets, while oakmoss infuses its foresty dankness. The fresh and soapy musk takes on a more perfumy air. And, a stock drydown ensues. This masculine composition has average projection and longevity, 6-8 hours, and, albeit possessing high-quality ingredients, it is nonetheless rather shopworn. Despite being a powerhouse wannabe, this fragrance lacks originality.
21st March, 2012

Add your review of Great Jones

Shop for Great Jones products online

Shop for Great Jones at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Great Jones

Member images of Great Jones

There are no member images of Great Jones yet. Why not be the first?