Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003)
by Yves Saint Laurent

Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute
Parent Company at launchPinault-Printemps-Redoute > Gucci Group > YSL Beaute

About Rive Gauche pour Homme

Over thirty years since the launch of the original female Rive Gauche fragrance, comes this woody-fougere masculine partner, courtesy of Tom Ford.

Created by Firmenich's Jacques Cavallier (Issey Homme, Opium Homme, Ultaviolet Man). The scent was previously available in a refillable "intense" version, which has a stronger patchouli note.

Rive Gauche pour Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Rive Gauche pour Homme

There is little to add to the perfect review by Colin Maillard, which covers the historic context of Rive Gauche being a brave and unabashed, "retro" nod to the 70's aromatic fougere, Azarro Pour Homme.

Tremendously masculine.

What's unique about Rive Gauche however is, once past the remarkably similar (and powerful) anise and lavender top notes, and the barbershop heart, what eventually emerges is a wonderfully unique tobacco ash / patchouli accord that lasts for hours (even days if not scrubbed). While this may not seem a positive association -- this is distinctly not a cheap cigarette tobacco -- it's specifically the subtle aroma of a fine robust cigar partially smoked, blending with a warm and sensual patchouli.

In fact, if you're a cigar aficionado, this would be an excellent choice for an evening at your local cigar lounge.
28th August, 2015
It didn't take me long to fall in love with this. It's very masculine and so fresh and clean, yet at the same time creamy. This one is staying in my collection for a long time. Truly a superb scent.
09th April, 2015
I saw this at a fragrance kiosk and gave it a test. I wasn't blown away but not completely turned off either. The fragrance smelled very common place and nothing I didn't already have similar in my collection.

What bothers me most is the aluminum spray can. It felt very light and I was concerned I'd be purchasing a half empty bottle. You couldn't tell what the volume of scent was. For the price I decided I would pass.
13th February, 2015
ad_scott Show all reviews
I like this scent.. truly fresh, creamy and barbershop! On wearing Rive Gauche I find that I can't really smell it on myself but other people can smell it on me... then the following day I can clearly smell it on my shirt collar! It's as if the scent comes in waves. I don't know why this is? Maybe because Rive Gauche is so clean and fresh?? But when I do smell Rive Gauche full on it is wonderful - like a barbershop shaving cream with a mellow herbal touch akin to sandalwood - maybe a tad minty too? The bottle design is well done; looks like a can of shaving cream, a perfect design to match the scent. I'd say Rive Gauche is fairly versatile: office, date, social occasions... but bottom line is: It's clean, fresh and creamy like the aura of a well groomed gentleman at Savile Row.
26th January, 2015
The lavender and star anise are excellent and the sillage with just a couple of swipes of the applicator is flooding the room. It gives it a nice herbal floral scent that has a "overcast day at the riverside" impression about it. I can see why people are trying to buy this up before it disappears. I'm liking this more than Patou Pour Homme Prive, but maybe it's because Prive is too old to compare to fresh juice. The vetiver and wood give it depth. It stays in this character almost all the time. Very unique smelling.
25th December, 2014
70s barbershop-smell in a neat can, reminiscent of the shaving cream tins back in the day. Rive Gauche is a modern classic, very mad-men. Clean, fresh, dark, subtle, versatile, very soapy and very old-fashioned. There is no fruit, no chocolate, no synthetic sweetness - just straightforward masculinity, something that I miss in 90% of today's fragrances.

Since L'Oreal and its reformulation, it comes in a new flakon and is much lighter, I guess to make it appealing to younger generations. It doesn't seem very popular these days though, it's been discontinued in lots of stores in my area. So try to get your hands on it asap (possible on the 2003 version) as it won't be around for much longer I reckon.

Extraordinary elegant fragrance!

15th October, 2014 (last edited: 28th October, 2014)

Add your review of Rive Gauche pour Homme

Shop for Rive Gauche pour Homme products online

Shop for Rive Gauche pour Homme at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Rive Gauche pour Homme

Member images of Rive Gauche pour Homme

There are no member images of Rive Gauche pour Homme yet. Why not be the first?