Tam Dao (2003)

HouseDiptyque
PerfumerDaniel Moliere
Parent CompanyManzanita

About Tam Dao

Tam Dao is a shared / unisex perfume by Diptyque. The scent was launched in 2003 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Daniel Moliere

Tam Dao fragrance notes

Reviews of Tam Dao

I can't give this a thumbs up. I do love the wood shavings smell, but this has a creamy sweetness that shows up during the dry down that is almost cloying to my sense of smell. This sweetness made me feel nauseous, after a while, but then the scent thankfully disappeared after about 3 1/2 hours. When I first put it on my wrists, it smelled fabulous. Just like the wood shavings smell that I love in Slumberhouse's Ore. But, unlike Ore, which also has a caramel and liquor smell that is almost rum like to my senses, Tam Dao's dry down brings on a sweetness that, as I said made me feel queasy. Definitely not bottle worthy in my line-up.

Updated Edit:
I tried to wear this again, just to see if I liked it any better on the second wearing, and I'm gonna have to transpose the first two letters of this product and throw in the Dam Tao. There's just something about the sweetness of the dry down that makes me feel nauseous. Ah, well...
10th February, 2016 (last edited: 12th February, 2016)
Diptyqie is the minimalists dream. Sleek, beautifully designed candles, luxurious skincare, and ingenious creations to enjoy scent through other mediums outside of their candle fortress.

Tam Dao is the gem of Diptyque fragrances. Smooth, sexy, intimate and mysterious. The sandalwood accord appears immediately, and Tam Dao draws you into its mysterious world. An enchanted forest perhaps. Many other notes exist to deepen the sandalwood which is creamy perfection. It's very stable and knows it's place while other notes orbit around in a sort of cosmic dance. Tam dao refuses to be categorized as gender specific as the scent itself is for everyone. Tam Dao can be worn intimately, or give oneself a few extra sprays and it will turn into an aura and envelop you.

This is sheer perfection in a beautiful Diptyque bottle. Completely gender neutral and safe for work. This scent may very well become my signature. I've fallen in love.
11th January, 2016
It is INTOXICATING GORGEOUS creamy SANDALWOOD.
I LOVE it!!!
Excellent performances (for the EDP)
I feel like it has a little feminine edge.
I don’t get the cedar or the Cypress, the Sandalwood is overwhelming (in the best way possible).
I have some bottles of pure sandalwood from India
One of them smells IDENTICAL to Tam Dao.
This is why I consider Tam Dao to be THE MOST REPRESENTATIVE of SANDALWOOD!!!

Shame that it is so expensive. I got the exact same scent with better performance from a 15$ pure sandalwood oil from India. At my next visit in India, I'll buy the exact same brand of oil.
P.s
EACH SANDALWOOD OIL THAT I HAVE TRIED SMELLS DIFFERENT (and I have tried more then 15).
I think that THIS IS WHY YOU GET SO MANY CONTRADICTING OPINIONS ABOUT THE PRESENCE OF SANDALWOOD INSIDE (People have different references to compare)

11th November, 2015 (last edited: 22nd November, 2015)
Nice sandal fragrance. Last longs (Diptyques generally do). Would get thumbs up if the price was better. At this price I would just get some pure sandalwood oil (though mysore can get expensive assuming you can source it).
06th November, 2015
When launched this was a beautiful sandalwood, warm and ethereal.At some point, perhaps when it became impossible to get good sandalwood,it was reconfigued into the boring, generic non-entity of the current iteration. If you ever find an old bottle, check out the difference. It was such an exceptional scent, now lost forever sadly.
07th September, 2015
This is one of the only fragrances I've ever bought without having first tried. I did this because I'm always on a search for the holy grail of sandalwood, and Tam Dao has received a lot of positive reviews.

I do like this fragrance a lot, and the sandalwood note is certainly there, so it works for me. I have a couple of issues with it, though. First, it has incredibly low sillage after about five minutes. I only wear one to two sprays of perfume usually, and I can use around five of Tam Dao and still not detect the scent sometimes. I have the EDT, so I would recommend the EDP if you are worried about this. Second, while the sandalwood-cedar-cypress combination is pleasant and works well, both the cypress and cedar give the overall texture of the smell a certain edge that a person who loves the creamy, buttery quality of good sandalwood might not love. There is also a feel here that reminds me of the smell of a lit cigar and lingering smoke, but I mainly notice this when I get some on my clothes (where it has incredible longevity compared to skin). I don't detect the ambergris here at all.

That said, I definitely like Tam Dao and wear it regularly. It's one of the few I could fall asleep with and it not bother my nose at night. However, I can't call it the holy grail of sandalwood because the cypress and cedar notes have equal presence and modify the overall effect of the sandalwood due to the rough contrast they provide. If you like subtle, natural-smelling woody fragrances with a good dose of sandalwood, cedar, and cypress, you'll probably like this one.
13th August, 2015

Add your review of Tam Dao

Shop for Tam Dao products online

Shop for Tam Dao at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Tam Dao

Member images of Tam Dao

There are no member images of Tam Dao yet. Why not be the first?