Tam Dao (2003)

HouseDiptyque
PerfumerDaniel Moliere
Parent CompanyManzanita

About Tam Dao

Tam Dao is a shared / unisex perfume by Diptyque. The scent was launched in 2003 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Daniel Moliere

Tam Dao fragrance notes

Reviews of Tam Dao

Warning: novice reviewer

This one is a mixture of wood like in a dried sauna, dark furniture wax and Vicks Vaporub (is that the cypres?)

We have a type of oriental Bengay here, called Tiger Balm. It is very reminiscent of this waxy substance. Perhaps a bit too much for me to justify a purchase.

I like it. Would I wear it? Maybe on a cold winter's day.
06th January, 2017
Tam Dao gave me the wheezies, which I suppose is a testament to the quality of its ingredients because only certain natural materials trigger my asthma--cedar and other evergreens of its ilk being at the top of the list. This is just an observation. It is in no way a complaint about this perfume. I am an adult and a sensible person, so I used my inhaler and took an antihistamine and got on with my life.

What does it smell like? If you've ever stepped into an unheated wooden sauna, you might have an idea. All that wood has quite a bit going on--bitter but a little sweet, dry but a little damp, cool but a little warm. In perfume form, it's pleasant in a white noise sort of way. But even if I could wear Tam Dao, I don't think I would. There's not enough here for me. But I can imagine how it might trigger something primal in someone else.
25th August, 2016
An absolutely gorgeous sandalwood scent.everything here is in delicate balance and barely discernible to the nose.creamy sandalwood not too sweet but skirting soft.it is also reminiscent of expensive pressed powder compact makeup.very unisex but a masculine side.if you are partial to woods,spices and soft dryness give this a shot.it is like a warm second skin.Refined,Woody,Creamy,Powdery,Elegant,Smooth, Light but Heavy at the Same Time.

The scent is a textured fusion of creamy sandalwood and exotic eastern spices enhanced with elegant florals of rose and sumptuous woods(cedar and rosewood)in fact it opents with a creamy,almost milky sandalwood and cypress then bold spices and powdery rose give Tam Dao a temporary heavy energy.dry down is very close to the skin becoming smoother and dry with a spirit of modern earthiness.the scent is like laying with your lover after sex somewhere warm and savoring the moment.perfect for a rainy weather.

Sillage?Moderate.

Longevity?Good on my skin.

22nd August, 2016
Absolutely marvelous. It smells refined and elegant. There is indeed a sandalwood shaving smell and not much else. To my nose, the sandalwood is a very tiny bit on the green side and ultra creamy. Fortunately, the creaminess is exactly what I was looking for in my search for a sandalwood fragrance.

At first, I didn't think this lasted too long, but once after spraying before bed I was able to smell the fragrance while in the shower the next morning.

I have the .33oz spray vial of the eau de parfum version and plan on snagging a full bottle if this one runs out.

If you like sandalwood, this is a safe blind buy. There's no question that this deserves a thumbs up.

10/10 in all categories except projection which is on the low side.
04th August, 2016 (last edited: 24th March, 2017)
I can't give this a thumbs up. I do love the wood shavings smell, but this has a creamy sweetness that shows up during the dry down that is almost cloying to my sense of smell. This sweetness made me feel nauseous, after a while, but then the scent thankfully disappeared after about 3 1/2 hours. When I first put it on my wrists, it smelled fabulous. Just like the wood shavings smell that I love in Slumberhouse's Ore. But, unlike Ore, which also has a caramel and liquor smell that is almost rum like to my senses, Tam Dao's dry down brings on a sweetness that, as I said made me feel queasy. Definitely not bottle worthy in my line-up.

Updated Edit:
I tried to wear this again, just to see if I liked it any better on the second wearing, and I'm gonna have to transpose the first two letters of this product and throw in the Dam Tao. There's just something about the sweetness of the dry down that makes me feel nauseous. Ah, well...
10th February, 2016 (last edited: 12th February, 2016)
Diptyqie is the minimalists dream. Sleek, beautifully designed candles, luxurious skincare, and ingenious creations to enjoy scent through other mediums outside of their candle fortress.

Tam Dao is the gem of Diptyque fragrances. Smooth, sexy, intimate and mysterious. The sandalwood accord appears immediately, and Tam Dao draws you into its mysterious world. An enchanted forest perhaps. Many other notes exist to deepen the sandalwood which is creamy perfection. It's very stable and knows it's place while other notes orbit around in a sort of cosmic dance. Tam dao refuses to be categorized as gender specific as the scent itself is for everyone. Tam Dao can be worn intimately, or give oneself a few extra sprays and it will turn into an aura and envelop you.

This is sheer perfection in a beautiful Diptyque bottle. Completely gender neutral and safe for work. This scent may very well become my signature. I've fallen in love.
11th January, 2016

Add your review of Tam Dao

Shop for Tam Dao products online

Shop for Tam Dao at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Tam Dao

Member images of Tam Dao

There are no member images of Tam Dao yet. Why not be the first?