Tam Dao (2003)

HouseDiptyque
PerfumerDaniel Moliere
Parent CompanyManzanita

About Tam Dao

Tam Dao is a shared / unisex perfume by Diptyque. The scent was launched in 2003 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Daniel Moliere

Tam Dao fragrance notes

Reviews of Tam Dao

Tam Dao gave me the wheezies, which I suppose is a testament to the quality of its ingredients because only certain natural materials trigger my asthma--cedar and other evergreens of its ilk being at the top of the list. This is just an observation. It is in no way a complaint about this perfume. I am an adult and a sensible person, so I used my inhaler and took an antihistamine and got on with my life.

What does it smell like? If you've ever stepped into an unheated wooden sauna, you might have an idea. All that wood has quite a bit going on--bitter but a little sweet, dry but a little damp, cool but a little warm. In perfume form, it's pleasant in a white noise sort of way. But even if I could wear Tam Dao, I don't think I would. There's not enough here for me. But I can imagine how it might trigger something primal in someone else.
25th August, 2016
An absolutely gorgeous sandalwood scent.everything here is in delicate balance and barely discernible to the nose.creamy sandalwood not too sweet but skirting soft.it is also reminiscent of expensive pressed powder compact makeup.very unisex but a masculine side.if you are partial to woods,spices and soft dryness give this a shot.it is like a warm second skin.Refined,Woody,Creamy,Powdery,Elegant,Smooth, Light but Heavy at the Same Time.

The scent is a textured fusion of creamy sandalwood and exotic eastern spices enhanced with elegant florals of rose and sumptuous woods(cedar and rosewood)in fact it opents with a creamy,almost milky sandalwood and cypress then bold spices and powdery rose give Tam Dao a temporary heavy energy.dry down is very close to the skin becoming smoother and dry with a spirit of modern earthiness.the scent is like laying with your lover after sex somewhere warm and savoring the moment.perfect for a rainy weather.

Sillage?Moderate.

Longevity?Good on my skin.

22nd August, 2016
I can't give this a thumbs up. I do love the wood shavings smell, but this has a creamy sweetness that shows up during the dry down that is almost cloying to my sense of smell. This sweetness made me feel nauseous, after a while, but then the scent thankfully disappeared after about 3 1/2 hours. When I first put it on my wrists, it smelled fabulous. Just like the wood shavings smell that I love in Slumberhouse's Ore. But, unlike Ore, which also has a caramel and liquor smell that is almost rum like to my senses, Tam Dao's dry down brings on a sweetness that, as I said made me feel queasy. Definitely not bottle worthy in my line-up.

Updated Edit:
I tried to wear this again, just to see if I liked it any better on the second wearing, and I'm gonna have to transpose the first two letters of this product and throw in the Dam Tao. There's just something about the sweetness of the dry down that makes me feel nauseous. Ah, well...
10th February, 2016 (last edited: 12th February, 2016)
Diptyqie is the minimalists dream. Sleek, beautifully designed candles, luxurious skincare, and ingenious creations to enjoy scent through other mediums outside of their candle fortress.

Tam Dao is the gem of Diptyque fragrances. Smooth, sexy, intimate and mysterious. The sandalwood accord appears immediately, and Tam Dao draws you into its mysterious world. An enchanted forest perhaps. Many other notes exist to deepen the sandalwood which is creamy perfection. It's very stable and knows it's place while other notes orbit around in a sort of cosmic dance. Tam dao refuses to be categorized as gender specific as the scent itself is for everyone. Tam Dao can be worn intimately, or give oneself a few extra sprays and it will turn into an aura and envelop you.

This is sheer perfection in a beautiful Diptyque bottle. Completely gender neutral and safe for work. This scent may very well become my signature. I've fallen in love.
11th January, 2016
It is INTOXICATING GORGEOUS creamy SANDALWOOD.
I LOVE it!!!
Excellent performances (for the EDP)
I feel like it has a little feminine edge.
I don’t get the cedar or the Cypress, the Sandalwood is overwhelming (in the best way possible).
I have some bottles of pure sandalwood from India
One of them smells IDENTICAL to Tam Dao.
This is why I consider Tam Dao to be THE MOST REPRESENTATIVE of SANDALWOOD!!!

Shame that it is so expensive. I got the exact same scent with better performance from a 15$ pure sandalwood oil from India. At my next visit in India, I'll buy the exact same brand of oil.
P.s
EACH SANDALWOOD OIL THAT I HAVE TRIED SMELLS DIFFERENT (and I have tried more then 15).
I think that THIS IS WHY YOU GET SO MANY CONTRADICTING OPINIONS ABOUT THE PRESENCE OF SANDALWOOD INSIDE (People have different references to compare)

11th November, 2015 (last edited: 22nd November, 2015)
Nice fragrance. Last longs (Diptyques generally do). Would get thumbs up if the price was better. At this price I would just get some pure sandalwood oil (though mysore can get expensive assuming you can source it).
06th November, 2015 (last edited: 13th August, 2016)

Add your review of Tam Dao

Shop for Tam Dao products online

Shop for Tam Dao at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Tam Dao

Member images of Tam Dao

There are no member images of Tam Dao yet. Why not be the first?