Sous le Buis (2002)

AvailabilityDiscontinued

HouseGobin Daudé
PerfumerVictoire Gobin-Daudé

About Sous le Buis

Sous le Buis is a shared / unisex perfume by Gobin Daudé. The scent was launched in 2002 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Victoire Gobin-Daudé

Reviews of Sous le Buis

rbaker Show all reviews
The opening blast is an entrance to the heavens: an incredibly bright and green explosion of the most beautiful freshness, a mix of galbanum and a light and bright lavender. A uniquely fresh clary sage with nigh-minty characteristics is added too. This opening is of intense beauty, like a flowering spring meadow with a fresh breeze from a river blowing trough the bushes.

It is hard to compare the impression these top notes create - imagine the opening of Creed's Feuille Verte mixed with the opening of Selection Verte, all this mixed with Green Valley's opening and superimposed upon Après l'Ondee. Sensational.

The drydown sees the freshness slightly retreat, and the green herbal-grassy components more in the foreground. At times it reminds me of a superior version of Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green, at times of Escada's Country Weekend, but is it Green Valley that probably comes closest in the drydown. In the later phase a lovely white floral side is revealed, mainly orange blossom with hints of muguet shining through at times, which gradually transition to the next stage.

The base notes change tack again, and a more restrained impression of spring bushes and boxwoods develops - this might be where the name comes from. The base notes might lack the intense vividness of the to notes, but they fit in very well and make a lovely finale of this olfactory symphony, fading out slowly and gracefully.

The performance is very good with moderate
silkage, good projection and six hours of longevity on my skin; the last hour it is close to my skin.

The quality of the ingredients is astoundingly incredible, clearly all natural - I can' my find a hint of synthetic notes in it. Only very, very rarely are such height of mastery - or mistressery - reached in perfumery nowadays; imagine a super-fresh no-frills I'Driu without the theatrics and without the ambition to create a multisensory Gesamtkunstwerk: this is the quality we are talking about in Sous le Buis. The blending is perfect.

With the only minimal reservation being that the base is a little less sensational than the ingenious opening, this is indubitably a grand masterpiece, one of the best perfume creations I have come across in a while. 4.75/5
23rd January, 2016
Here I am wearing an artefact, drops from one of those few forlorn bottles of the shipwrecked fragrance enterprise (un)known by the name Gobin Daudé. It's the first new - to me - fragrance in quite some time that has triggered reflections rather than just a mental shrug of the shoulders. I tried a few By Kilians this afternoon - it might have just as well been any other line - and found them just another permutation spit out randomly by the great niche perfume generator with its basic algorithms of absinth this and incense that plus iso-e and a tad of exotic gourmand. Uh yeah, me self-critically thinks, you're just a jaded fop with too many bottles of Dukes of Shmukes in your cupboard, but then I smell Sous le Buis, a real act, a quantum leap, of creativity, something refusing to conform to standard parameters, a natural perfume that no one could ever push into the aromatherapy corner, because it does those old names proud, those Guerlains, Carons, Chanels and sweeps the floor with all this ennervatingly conformist Vegas variety show playing 365 days a year, the Buxton-Duchaufour-Ellena Can Can. Yeah, you're geniuses, but I'm telling you the act, from where I'm sitting, is wearing pretty thin and who cares whether the manager made you do it. Call me a betamax bumpkin for praising a venture that failed, what's the point of making great perfumes that not enough people want to buy? Hell, ask the starving Schuberts, the impoverished Van Goghs. Victoire Gobin Daudé, wherever you are, you are a goddess, you have the power to breathe life into an assortment of oils, to grow a true French Rococo garden from molecules. You really do what a perfumer is supposed to do, to - apologies for borrowing Star Trek imagery rather than quoting Apollinaire - create a holodeck in a bottle. Here's a perfect rendition of a sculpted boxtree on a wistful, lusty spring day and as if that weren't enough you manage to remind me of the days when Nino Cerruti was a grand green masterpiece and show Jean-Claude what Eau de Campagne really should have smelled like. All this genius, all this beauty lost to a business plan that would not compute. Why? I don't know, don't even care, all I know is, I'm so tired, I'm so sick and tired (ah, my beloved Morrissey) of the mundane being sold as the sublime, at a premium. I've rarely played this game (no full retail for me, there are mouths to feed), but even just watching it is getting too much. But I'm no spoilsport, not that anyone would give a hoot for what I think, so this is for the eyes of hardened veterans, not to crush the enthusiasm of the young-nosed newbie. A salute to the few, who do no bow to the market, and as to the perfume industry per se, well, to quote the Mozzer once more, the world is full of crashing bores.
17th March, 2012
Sous le Buis was my first Gobin Daudé scent, it's a most lovely fresh green scent reminiscent of a dewy garden on a bright summer morning. You can almost feel the grass under your bare feet...
14th May, 2006

Add your review of Sous le Buis

Shop for Sous le Buis products online

Search Amazon for Sous le Buis

Member images of Sous le Buis

There are no member images of Sous le Buis yet. Why not be the first?