Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum information

HousePinaud
Parent CompanyAmerican International Beauty Group

About Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum is a masculine fragrance by Pinaud.

Reviews of Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

I really like the clove-y-ness of this one and so does my wife.

I can see how it might be too much for some, but I like my bay rum clove-y.

Two negatives, though:
Longevity is mediocre at a solid 4-6 hours.

Also my last bottle got really wonky toward the end with a stronger musk-y scent than it originally had. Maybe I was imagining it.
06th September, 2015
Pinaud have bottled Sucking on a fireball gobstopper dressed as captain jack sparrow while carving Christmas ham...I usually prefer aquatic and citrus scents but really wanted a warm spicy concoction for my collection ..having read the reviews of most bayrums I blind bought this one and am more than happy because it's everything described but not over powering and totally dominated by clove. I get an hour of fun from this splash then everything fades and I'm no longer a pirate :( arrrrr I also wrote this after reading every other review so incorporated all the best reviews into one
30th May, 2015
It's like the Ghost of Christmas Present in Dickens' story. Rotund, jolly, and with a lesson to teach. And like that ghost, it's not one to be written-off lightly. A whiff from the bottle is a glorious train wreck. But it's much better on the dry-down as the cinnamon and cloves are balanced a bit more by the bay leaf scent. I love it as a splash, and the great thing is that the sillage isn't that long-lasting, so you can douse yourself amply and love it. It's a barbershop stroll down memory lane in a great, wholesome way. Get yourself some, catch an island breeze, and enjoy.
23rd March, 2014
Just the bottle and label alone evoke fond memories of being a young boy sitting cross-legged on the bathroom counter and intently watching my grandfather's every move as he methodically went through the machinations of his daily early morning wet-shave ritual.

Every time when he was done carefully shaving and then cleaning the straight razor, along with the lathering cup and brush, he would look at himself in the mirror while stroking his cheeks to check for any missed spots while reaching for the clear glass bottle of Edouard Pinaud's CLUBMAN VIRGIN ISLAND BAY RUM Aftershave Splash and proceed to douse his face, neck and chest with a couple of healthy handfuls of the stuff.

With his hands still dripping of this beautifully spicy and exotic, bay tree filled far-away-tropical-paradise smelling after shave, he would then rub my cheeks, the top of my ears and head with the excess and I would smell just like grandpa's aftershave all day long...and I absolutely loved it. I reveled in it then and deeply cherish the memory today.

So imagine my shear delight when I recently came across this classic product...I purchased the larger 12oz size bottle, which looks almost exactly like the bottle from almost 50 years ago except it's now a shatter-proof plastic instead of the thicker glass bottle it used to be packaged in. Ok, I can live with that, being more safety-conscious in today's world.

But the real test was what was inside that bottle...did it look the same with that lighter yet rich looking brown color?

YES...the color and overall look is exactly the same as I remember it from almost 50 years ago. So far, so good.

Did it feel the same with its silky smooth texture along with its unique soothing, cooling and refreshing tingle?

ALMOST...it seems to be lighter-bodied now with hardly any cooling sensation, though it is still quite soothing and refreshing.

And most importantly, did it smell the same with it's heady exotically spicy base along with its subtle yet very punchy combination essences of bay tree, clove and a hint of pepper and cinnamon?

Sadly, NO...it did NOT. It is now a shadow of its former self sidelined by a complete lack of balanced pungency or striking character...its now WAY too clove-heavy with very little essence of bay tree (which is similar to clove but exhibits much different sillage on dry down) and virtually zero cinnamon oil or Peruvian black pepper emanating from today's formulation.

It's a perfectly acceptable and wearable "old school" type of scent that's perfect for running weekend errands or a casual mid-afternoon lunch with a current or former lover, but do NOT expect to get the same product formulation as 50 years ago...it's now seemingly a MUCH different, almost unrecognizable after shave than that of the original.
22nd November, 2013
Barbershop to the core

This is one of the best Bay Rums in the value/price ratio score, some bay rums are way too expensive for what you get (Royall, Caribbean Imported, Saint John's, Dominica Imported, West Indies, etc) while Pinaud gives you a great value for a very inexpensive price.

Take note that a said "one of the best" because for me, Ogallala offers a better product than Pinaud.

Regardless, this is an excellent Bay Rum and deserves respect.

4.5 stars only because the 5 stars belongs to Ogallala.

Pros: Price
Cons: Too much cloves and too loud.

19th May, 2013
rbaker Show all reviews
Rum, spice, cinnamon, a bit of rum. Classic and with a bit of a Christmas feel. Agreeable and excellent value. Good projection.
02nd May, 2012

Add your review of Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Shop for Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum products online

Search Amazon for Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Member images of Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

There are no member images of Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum yet. Why not be the first?