L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (2004)
by Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme information

Year of Launch2004

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerBéatrice Piquet
Creative DirectorSylvaine Delacourte
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme is a masculine fragrance by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Béatrice Piquet

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme

LIDG, as it’s affectionately abbreviated, is notable for a few reasons. First, it owes a heavy influence to Pierre Cardin’s (for men) clever use of lemony citrus buttressed against a mossy and sweet vanilla base. Secondly, it paved a way for Guerlain’s masculine fragrances, bringing the stodgy brand to the modern man. Grandpa can have his Heritage & Habit Rouge but Junior can have LIDG!

LIDG start out with a soft and bright citrus accord, smelling like a grove of lemon trees. The Star Anise joins the lemons, bringing to it a touch of spice so that the lemon doesn’t get bored. I’m hard pressed to smell any the listed floral notes as the Guerlainade (warm cocoa, vanilla & patchouli) takes over. If there ever was a classic plush accord, then this is it.

LIDG is not only one the best men’s scents from Guerlain, it also stands up as one of the best in the genre.

25th August, 2016
Like, not Love. A well done fragrance from start to finish, but a bit of a letdown. It is a bit powdery for my liking. Overall a quality scent for the cost. I find it to be a unique, rather linear fragrance, however it lacks amplitude. On my skin the sillage and longevity were good but not great. I typically don't like to use more than 2 sprays of any fragrance, one if it is good juice. L'Instant is not even noticeable at the end of my day wearing it; you may need to reapply after a while. Key thoughts: unique, versatile, tame, uninspiring.
02nd July, 2016
Dark choco, patchouli and jasmine. Perfectly done. A keeper.
01st July, 2016
I enjoy some sweet, modern synthetics, and L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (2004) is not a world away from Polo Red (2013), to my nose, although I prefer the Guerlain.
30th May, 2016
When the sun is out, I love having the sweet and herby scent of L'Instant de Guerlain on my skin. It invokes an exotic, slightly atmosphere. Quite magical.

For other occasions, be it rainy or cloudy days or after sunset, it tends to come on too strong for my taste...
28th May, 2016
I bought two bottles of this when it was going for £21 on Amazon, which is just ridiculous value. I had already tried LIDGE which I considered too rich and heavy for my tastes and needs, but figured that a toned-down cocoa and enhanced citrus version might be perfect for me. This is, I am pleased to say, exactly what happened.

LIDG is not edgy or ground-breaking, but comforting, refreshing, inviting, and above all, versatile. For me it opens up with sharp citrus and moves rapidly through the gears to a slightly spicy and still refreshing floral stage. As someone who rarely has "longevity issues", the dry-down is generally of equal parts cocoa, sandalwood, and musk, and lasts the whole day. I find the Guerlain version of scent progression more representative than the usual three-stage note progression in the case of LIDG.

Depending on how much and where I spray, I find I get subtly different performance day-to-day. Sometimes the citrus lasts all day, sometimes patchouli arrives early and dominates. With this scent, it's probably a case of finding what you look for.

I understand that this was controversial in the early days with Guerlain aficionados. Surprising, and a shame, because not only is this generally excellent, but there is little controversial about it in terms of scent alone. Having compared it with the likes of Heritage and Habit Rouge, I do not detect the guerlainade, but no bad thing in my view. LIDG is a distinctly Guerlain fragrance not because of the guerlainade family resemblance, but because it mirrors rather than overlaps with prior Guerlain masculines: the class, development, the hooks and the blend quality are very familiar.

This has become my signature in short order. Perhaps the essence of the "Guerlain moment" is that it reels you in with the freshness, and keeps you close with the comfort and familiarity.

Suitable for any and all purposes. Perhaps I would not wear this in very hot weather; but not particularly an issue in the UK. A favourite and highly recommended.

Oh, a quick shout-out to the flanker, LIDGE - not something I would buy myself but other reviewers have it spot on - clearly related to the EDT in theme but different enough to justify owning both if you like them.
04th March, 2016