Véga (1936)
    by Guerlain

Average Rating: 4

Based on 57 ratings

Véga information

Reissued in 2005 for the renovated flagship Guerlain store on the Champs-Elysees. Reorchestrated by Jean Paul Guerlain.

Shop for Véga products online

Reviews of Véga

Showing 1 to 6 of 12 reviews.

kumquat's avatar

Well-made and elegant, this one is just not my style. Possibly the cassia note is the deal-breaker. There is an overall powdery accord (rose and ylang-ylang) that just overwhelms me. This is way too "perfumey" for me. I need something less frilly, more tweedy. Bring back 'Sous les Vent'!

03rd May, 2014

teardrop's avatar

England England

This one opens with sparkling aldehydes, with only a vague hint of the "off" note that l sometimes get from them. They hover over an ethereal, bright & soapy floral accord, mainly ylang-ylang & jasmine, to my nose. There is a fleeting impression of indoles, before it all settles into a soft, creamy, tropical floral with a touch of vanilla. lt puts me in mind of a lighter, more luminous version of Mahora. Where Mahora is loud, proud & (some might say) a little vulgar though, this one is rather more elegant & aloof. As the scent progresses, l get whiffs of something very slightly salty, perhaps ambergris or maybe some moss. l also get something like old-fashioned face cream, & a light musk in the base. Four hours in, it settles very close to the skin, but doesn't fade completely until ten hours have passed.
    This is a very beautiful fragrance, but l have to say, l think Mahora is more my style. ;)

04th April, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

Superlative classic floral oriental -a masterpiece

Vega (1936) is a total surprise to me. I had no idea Guerlain made this type of scent - creamy, warm florals over an oriental base (reminds me of Rapael's Replque and Plaisir and of Schiaparelli's Shocking, but smoother and more balanced than any of these classics).

The 13 ingredients: Bergamot, Aldehydes, Jasmine, Neroli, Ylang Ylang, Carnation, Rose, Orris, Sandalwood, Rosewood, Amber, Musk, Vanilla.

After an initial, almost minty blast of bergamot and neroli, the Ylang Ylang nestles to the forefront of this warm melange of floral scents, supported by the sandalwood/rosewood combo and the perfect balance of the three oriental notes (amber,musk, vanilla). I would take this over the more highly touted Shalimar any day, simply because it has more depth, complexity and warmth.

This would be for me an immediate purchase to add to my collection. The problem is the exorbitant price - a bottle [and it's a gorgeous bottle] costs between $299-$399, since it is a limited edition (reformulated in 1997 and 2005).

Too bad - this is a great scent. I just can't afford it.

Pros: Creamy florals over a warm oriental base
    Cons: Expense only

28th May, 2013

Larimar's avatar

Austria Austria

I fell hard for the re-issued VEGA when I smelled it at La Maison in Paris and bought it on the spot. I for myself don't see the often quoted similarity to Chanel No. 5 or Arpege either. Much more it is Vega's ylang-ylang predominance on my skin that reminds me of Chanel's Cuir de Russie Parfum or Bois des Iles. The aldehydes here are 'warm' vs. the 'cold' variety of so many Chanel's and Guerlain's own Liu (vintage extrait). Vega is certainly soapy (the aldehydes), but even on a skin that brings the soapiness to the foreground, it pulls back after about half an hour. The initial ylang-ylang 'blast' really leaves a leathery impression on my skin (it's been commented by others). Longevity for Vega is average at best. Sometimes I perceive the faint vanilla-ish smell for a long time and at times Vega seems to disappear before the Guerlinade takes over. Vega is fantastic, very classic and fits the 1930s smoky jazz club image just right...

21st June, 2012

drseid's avatar

Even though marketed to women, this scent is actually very unisex to my nose. It opens with a blast of lemon/bergamot mixed with a soapy accord and a mild powder undertone. The bergamot tones down a bit and the powder gains strength throughout Vegas' development. The powdery development is similar to many other Guerlain scents, with the first one immediately coming to mind being L'Instant. I think the powder and soap are a bit too much for me, and really not to my liking. That said, the scent is very wearable, and shows some skill from the nose responsible for it. 2 to 2.5 stars out of 5.

04th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th December, 2012)

mrclmind's avatar

Vega is often compared to Chanel #5 and Arpege, but I for one don't smell the similarities. The aldehydes in Vega are toned down quite a bit. Yes the jasmine, and white flowers are present in Vega, but there is a sweetness, a darkness and a spiciness that the typical aldehydic florals don't possess. Vega opens with bergamot and aldehydes, with jasmine and orange flowers peeking through from its floral heart. The vanilla and orris over tonka and woods in the base not only support the florals, they color them. The depth and subtle sweetness and woody spiciness of the base permeates the entire perfume lending not only warmth, but richness, comfort and welcome. Most Aledyhidic florals seem standoffish and formal to me; but Vega is a star of great luminosity. It has no need to prove anything to anybody. It is almost casual in its pure elegance. Upon my first several testings of this fragrance, I thought that there would be no way I could feel comfortable wearing anything so floral and beautiful. But now I can't imagine my wardrobe without Vega. So far, Vega is the only aldehydic floral that I can ever see myself wearing. Wearing Vega doesn't turn heads because it smells feminine; it turns heads because it smells inviting.

30th November, 2010

Add your review of Véga

Search for on eBay United States

Vega eau de toilette - Guerlain ~ free shipping
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 28 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)
    GUERLAIN VEGA 125 ML 4.2 OZ EDT NIB BEE BOTTLE NEW IN BOX DISCONTINUED
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 2 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)