Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 318 ratings

Un Bois Vanille information

Un Bois Vanille is a women's fragrance by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido. The scent was launched in 2003

Shop for Un Bois Vanille products online

$115.42*
    50ml EdP
    (*converted from GBP 69.00)

Reviews of Un Bois Vanille

Showing 1 to 6 of 41 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

More bois than vanille to my nose, and unlike some other reviewers, I find this a tad less syrupy sweet than some of the other Sheldrake/Lutens concoctions. Vanilla dominates in the top notes but soon integrates into a mélange of very rich, heavy woods, spiced with a bit of anise. I’m reminded of Feminite du Bois, but Un Bois Vanille is chunkier and less lithe than its older sister, even though it’s also less complex. Not entirely unpalatable, but not all that exciting either.

06 July, 2014

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

This sounds right up my alley, but as it turns out, it doesn't quite float my boat. There is something quite synthetic about it, especially in the burned wood notes at the top. The vanilla is thick, doughy, and quite flat in the style of melted ice cream, which is perfectly nice if that's your type of thing. But I had hoped that the licorice notes would provide some kind of salty, bitter counterpart to the vanilla cream, and I was disappointed - the licorice here is of the popular candy in the UK called Licorice Allsorts, which is in and of itself too sweet to provide much bas relief. The dry down is more comfortable and less sweet than the start, but I didn't enjoy the ride on the way there. I guess I like my vanillas smoky and complicated like as in Shalimar. Here, in a straight up gourmand, I find it too much of a good thing. I give it a neutral rating, though, because it is a high quality composition.

30th June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

I recall Turin's review about this fragrance, and being a fan of traditional coffee making, I must disagree with the "coffee roasting" note he smells here. I don't get it. I get coffee, but not that much and surely not "roasty". All I smell is a bold, kind of soothing and powdery scent of tanning cream, just less creamy and more flowery, but definitely a seaside madeleine (not in the "iodine" sense; more "lying on the beach"). The main structure here is fairly complex and interesting, as I get both a flower and aerial accord blended with a more dense, edible accord of liquorice, coffee, and vanilla. Beautiful, delicate, elegant sandy drydown.

04 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2014)

Zut's avatar

I think Un bois vanille is just too much of a good thing. The vanilla overpowers the sandalwood and everything else. Don't get me wrong. Vanilla has always been a favourite of mine. It is an important part of my personal olfactory palette as well. However, it does not have to be that sweet. I wonder what Un bois vanille would smell like if the vanilla/sandalwood ratio were a little more balanced...

23 March, 2014

tdwctdwc's avatar

Coconut and vanilla heaven.

The licorice plays a brilliant role in toning down the sweetness and adding a slightly bitter aura around the scent. Sandalwood joins forces to balance things even more.

2-3 sprays on the chest is all you need and it will last all day. Spray too much and it will suffocate you.

One of my favorite gourmands and arguably my favorite Serge Lutens.

06 January, 2014

sjg3839's avatar

Reminds me of a cup coffee with a touch of milk. True gourmand fragrance. I get about 7 hours from this one. 8/10

06 December, 2013