New Haarlem (2003)

HouseBond No. 9
PerfumerMaurice Roucel
Parent CompanyLaurice & Co

About New Haarlem

From the Bond No. 9 press release: "What more fitting locale than Harlem, legendary for its on-the-edge verve, to riff on our lush, lingering, intoxicating brew of bergamot, cedarwood, coffee, vanilla, patchouli, and lavender? If George Gershwin had been a perfumer, these are the notes he'd have used for this burnished perfume rhapsody. A stunning about-face after the light splash-scents of the past decade, New Haarlem captures the out-on-the-town elegance and the proud, bold independence of one of the great neighborhoods of New York–--and the world. It's also our entre nous way of thanking the rap musicians and rock artists who've come downtown to buy Bond No. 9's original fragrances. With New Haarlem, Bond No. 9 returns the favor. "

New Haarlem fragrance notes

Reviews of New Haarlem

I don't gel well usually with Bond No 9 scents, but one has to give credit where it's due. New Haarlem, by Maurice Roucel, is a high quality gourmand evocative of coffee and coffeeshops. It is not abstract, but more realistic. However, unlike most other artsy coffee fragrances, New Haarlem eschews anything to do with roasted coffee beans, and goes straight for lattes and cappuccinos - the pleasant, sweet aroma that draws in the crowds. Tonka and vanilla contribute to the sweetness, while there is also a slight edgy, bitter aroma, perhaps a sense of astringency. I imagine this is referencing the bitterness of coffee and coffee beans; I find this aspect to be of paramount importance, as it keeps things interesting and sustains my interest, and at the same time distinguishes New Haarlem from the hordes of unremarkable simple saccharine perfumes.

New Haarlem has a significant presence. It lasts several hours on my skin with good projection and offers a very nice sillage. It's hard to imagine New Haarlem being wearable when it is not cold. However, in the winter it blooms beautifully and is rather pleasurable. It can even be a mood lifter on cold mornings. New Haarlem isn't complex or complicated, but is a simple straightforward gourmand done right. It's not as sophisticated as Dries van Noten par Malle, as abstract as Eau Noire or as extreme as Jeux de Peau, but it has a spontaneous beauty and mass appeal. Easy to wear and easier to like.

3.5/5
06th May, 2018
ad_scott Show all reviews
Gorgeous fragrance. Kind of smoky meets musky. Burnt coffee is the prominent note which blends with the vanilla, tonka and amber. Not for everyone but I especially find it unique and beautiful. I could wear New Haarlem everyday.
17th April, 2018
Finally reviewing this on a day off following the Eagles Super Bowl victory, Bond No. 9 New Haarlem, for me, epitomizes the sweet brunch vibe, with heavy notes of coffee, amber, and vanilla comprising much of my experience of it.

Certainly the wildcard note, if it can be called that, is lavender, which mixes peculiarly with the coffee to give the fragrance a rather mysterious yet sophisticated edge, as in Armani Attitude, wherein both notes are even more front-and-center without the gourmand influence of vanilla.

Cedar further rounds on the mix, with tonka providing its creamy yet slightly powdery nuances. Overall, the experience of the fragrance is nearly a full gourmand, the lavender providing the sole vestige of something outside simply eating coffee and pancakes, and New Haarlem is all the more brilliant a composition for involving the lavender, which really is the keystone of the whole fragrance.

Next to Andy Warhol, New Haarlem is the most powerful Bond No. 9 fragrance I've tried to date, with excellent projection and longevity, just as loud as I want it to be for how much I love it.

The only downside is its peculiarity, that someone averse to coffee or sweet scents will likely not be attracted to it, but as I love both, I'm smitten with it, and I wear it occasionally for a nice breakfast or brunch occasion.

9 out of 10
05th February, 2018
My first review on Basenotes. Bond isn't one of my faves but I have to say, I really like New Haarlem (despite the misspelling). I get all sorts of hungry after spraying this on. Smells like the back room of an iHOP, but in a good way. All in all I like it. Not good for a date but great for a night home alone in front of the tv.
14th June, 2017 (last edited: 19th September, 2017)
Being number 12 in a series of 16 reviews on critically acclaimed and noteworthy scents.

The top notes of New Haarlem consisted of a combination of coffee and lavender spliced together in such a clumsy fashion that I feared the worst. As I have had cause to say before, the end result smelled very much like the medicinal odour of calomine lotion. Being used to the seamless connection of lavender and coffee in Yohji Homme, this by comparison seemed like - what's the saying? - attaching an axle to an orange.

However, as time moved on, things turned out for the better. Those that have pointed out a similarity with Dior's Eau Noire are spot on, for while New Haarlem omits the curry leaf note and includes a much stronger, more aggressively roasted coffee aroma, the two are very close indeed. They share many common ingredients, and so the similarities in accords, and in performance for that matter, should perhaps not come as a surprise.

So, once we get to the dry down, exposed skin gives off a straight coffee accord that is between a narrower version of Eau Noire and an amplified version of Yohji, while sprays to the chest bring out the roasted aspect of coffee along with something like the "pancakes and syrup" effect that this scent is famed for. There is also something of a green note here, again, extremely redolent of Eau Noire.

While I would buy Eau Noire in a straight fight between the two, if money were no object, that appears to have been discontinued. Given that the medical astringency of New Haarlem soon wears off, but retains what the pleasing aspects of a good gourmand are for me at least, I can unhesitatingly award New Haarlem a positive review and leave it on the wish list until such time as the idea of an unashamed gourmand in my collection becomes irresistible.
27th November, 2016
New Haarlem is probably one of Bond No. 9’s most iconic fragrances, along with Chinatown (on the female side). It’s a grotesque, “extreme” gourmand that pushes the envelope with a set of roasted, burned, and syrupy notes that walk the line between cloying/intense and appetizing/comforting.

I like extreme gourmands a lot – they are impolite and they don’t pussyfoot around with the idea of food as fragrance. They don’t make any apologies. Done right, they are both satisfying and cartoonishly awful in equal measure. In this category, I place Jeux de Peau, Cadavre Exquise, A*Men, and yep – New Haarlem.

To my nose, New Haarlem smells like roasted black coffee beans over a soapy, aromatic lavender cologne. The lavender here has the same sun-roasted, “garrigue” effect I notice in Eau Noire, that intensely woody, aromatic aroma of crushed lavender buds which is what creates the roasted coffee impression.

It is certainly a very dark and woody coffee smell - very attractive and distinctive. I can’t think of anything else that smells as close to real coffee as this does. I pick up on a creamy vanilla sweetness later on, but I can’t say that I perceive any syrupy notes at all. And I certainly don’t pick up the famous pancake accord.

To my nose, this is all coffee, intensely black and roasted at first, then smoothing out into sweet, milky coffee in the drydown, draped over a soapy, aromatic barbershop fougere. It strikes me as incredibly masculine. I like it very much, but find it too butch for me to pull off comfortably.

My husband, on the other hand, had a completely different experience. That is to say, it smelled the same on his skin as it did on mine, but his understanding of New Haarlem jives far more closely with the majority opinion of the scent on Basenotes and elsewhere. Without telling him what the fragrance notes were, I sprayed it on him and asked him to tell me what it smelled like. This is what he said:

“Nuts, specifically pecans, and that Danish pastry you like with the pecans. There is a lot of syrup here. Yes, it smells exactly like the bakery where I get the croissants and pecan Danish for you guys at the weekend. It is like wearing a pastry. This is far too sweet. I could maybe like this if I were feeling hungry and wanted to smell something a little sweet. But I wouldn’t wear this, really. It’s way too sweet.”

26th September, 2016

Add your review of New Haarlem

Shop for New Haarlem products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of New Haarlem