Lipstick Rose (2000)

HouseEditions de Parfums Frederic Malle
PerfumerRalf Schwieger
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Lipstick Rose

Lipstick Rose is a feminine perfume by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2000 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Ralf Schwieger

Lipstick Rose fragrance notes

Reviews of Lipstick Rose

Lipstick Rose makes a great interplay of surfaces – creamed powder tinged with rose and violet and steeped with a bitter woody structure. Besides the vibe I get from the combination of musk, vanilla and violet as in candied violets I can not find LR nostalgic or old-fashioned. Its lipstick idea still matches just as much a contemporary one. Instead I would call LR monstrously cute and carnal ... like a film between bodies as touched and rubbed off makeup, sweat and semen. Not only does it taste waxy, creamy, rich, sweetish, but also bitter, bitter sour and slightly alkaline. The next day the explicit connections recede and the calmer, more comforting rooty aspects of the composition come to the front. Roots as in iris, carrots and vetiver. Lipstick on a warm woody base, eased and grounded. Throughout the entire wear vetiver seems to act discretely in the back as a go-between. Without drawing much attention to itself it manages to connect woodiness, grapefruit's bitterness, iris' roots and violet blue into one drag composition. It's fun to wear.
19th September, 2016
Salutation.

A smell of make up.it's exactly what I expected it to be.a powdery,elegant rosey scent with a musky undertone.the smells exactly like old fashioned face powder or lipstick.it's full of life and light,dancing and singing in celebration of spring and romance.Lipstick Rose is a perfect blend of rose and violet.the scent has a nostalgic feel to it which I love it.Absolutely romantic and a little sexy but very feminine.

It opens up with a elegant powdery violet note,cool and grounded,polite and polished.then the rose starts to blend in and it becomes more lipsticky with a bit of waxiness.the rose and violet remains and perfectly blended with a smooth musky dry down to make a gorgeous feminine scent that scream "I am what I am,love me or leave me".the scent makes you feel a sophisticated princess and go with your Prince for candle light dinner and first kiss on grey,rainy weather.

Sillage?Impressive.

Longevity?Very Good on my skin.

11th January, 2016
A beautiful swirl of jammy violet ionones, rose, and iris whipped up into the classic scent of a high-end waxy lipstick – what’s not to like? It aims for a lighthearted cheerfulness and stays there, not changing or progressing much in its lifetime on the skin, save for a brief flash of sharp, soapy grapefruit that (mercifully) drops back once the topnotes have dissipated.

Powdery and waxy at the same time, Lipstick Rose is a rush of pure nostalgia for any woman who has ever been kissed by a lipstick-wearing mother on her way out to a party. That’s why I forgive Lipstick Rose for its relatively simple prettiness and static presence on my skin – it’s a price I am more than willing to pay to go back in time to when I was a little girl and used to stomp around in my mother’s shoes. Lipstick Rose has that happy, innocent creaminess of surreptitiously-opened lipsticks, cold creams, and lotions, holding if not the scent but the ghostly transfer of the presence of the person whose approval I most desired and craved. When I wear my sample of Lipstick Rose, I look at life through rose-tinted glasses.

Lipstick Rose is undoubtedly the queen of lipstick scents – and more enjoyable to me than Misia – but I doubt it will ever be part of my collection. You see, my lipstick nostalgia basket is already full – occupied by a half bottle of the divine Histoires de Parfums Moulin Rouge, which, although it does not have the delightful, powdered rose of Lipstick Rose, does have a slightly naughty, shady character to it that suits me more.
09th January, 2016
To me, Lipstick Rose walks a tightrope between classy and childish. I suppose the fact that it occasionally veers into silliness, but always rights itself, makes it a bit exciting, though in the end that's the reason for my neutral review instead of a thumbs up.

So what does it smell like? Strawberry candy and bright sweet violets and sugary roses and dusting powder and a pinch of 70's musk. The powder note makes sure this never smells cheap, though the strawberry/violet candy smell shoots past "youthful" and lands on "childish". It's weird - it wants to be both a matronly old-school rose/violet perfume, but it also wants to be something Britney Spears would put out. And it's kind of both, and kind of a neither.

Given time, a great almond note comes in, along with just a microscopic touch of marshmallow, which convert Lipstick Rose into a very good loukhoum scent for the second half of the day.
02nd February, 2015
More lipstick than rose if you ask me, the candied violet offsetting the rose's jam-like nuances. I do not know what chemical is responsible for this but there is indeed a certain waxy feel to it that reinforces the lipstick image. While it does recede eventually into a lightly musky floral that passes muster, I can't imagine why any woman would want to smell as if she'd put on way too much lipstick.
15th October, 2014
Nefret Show all reviews
No surprises, this is a straightforward one

It may have taken me a couple of tries to really warm to this one, but it is one of those scents that perfectly evokes what it is going for. The beginning is this powdery haze over a PINK rose and violet rush, with just that hint of wax to it. The drydown does evolve into a sweet violet with some juicy berries and light vanilla, with the suggestion of rose just barely present. It wears nice and long, as some of these Frederic Malle powerhouses do. Glamorous, feminine, maybe a little unsubtle.

Pros: Sweet rose and violet accord, evocative of a certain kind of lipstick
Cons: None"

21st August, 2013

Add your review of Lipstick Rose

Shop for Lipstick Rose products online

Search Amazon for Lipstick Rose

Member images of Lipstick Rose

There are no member images of Lipstick Rose yet. Why not be the first?