Burberry for Men (Version #2) (1992)
by Burberry

Burberry for Men (Version #2) information

Year of Launch1992
AvailabilityDiscontinued

HouseBurberry
Parent CompanyBurberry
Parent Company at launchRoyal Brands

About Burberry for Men (Version #2)

Burberry for Men (Version #2) is a masculine fragrance by Burberry. The scent was launched in 1992

Reviews of Burberry for Men (Version #2)

Confusing list here on Basenotes. The BFM dated 1995 should rightly have in parentheses (Version #3), as there is an original from 1981 and this version #2, from 1992, which I am reviewing.

I assume that Turin's two star review ("herbaceous chemical") referred to the original 1981 release, but there is no way to know which of the three he was reviewing.

#2 is a lavender fougere, bright and bracing, with a skanky note (others have referred to possible civet). Lots of notes have been suggested in these reviews in addition to these two notes: amber, juniper, pepper, pine, amber, mint, artemesia, galbanum, carnation, etc. Quite possible - this melange. However, for my nose the lavender and civet are most prominent.

This is a typical men's scent from the powerhouse era (1980-1995), and I can see it as a popular choice for an after shave purchased for pennies from one's local drug store. It is not to my nose extraordinary in any way, just a decent scent for men. The brightness quickly fades, leaving a sharp, somewhat unpleasant dry down. Not entierely bad, but definitely not for me.
10th December, 2016
High-end perfumery, that's for sure: Extremely beautiful, lively, skillfully blended and with a lot of surprise and development while remaining perfectly comfortable: The 'Blue Knight' builds up on a prominent lavender/tonka/moss/musk quartet as a fougère in the classical manner. There's only just a hint of a cool bitter bergamot in the blend. A dose of a slightly fecal material (civet?) which is subdued by a nice dark-ambery vanilla base adds a certain Jicky'ness. Prominent mint and possibly galbanum give an overall green aura to the lavender top. Some heliotropin- or carnation-like notes bring in a floral powdery aspect and a lively spicyness. Despite a somewhat black peppery sandalwood note in the mid and later stages this one isn't really woody. I think I can smell Musk Ketone (- maybe the perfumers among us can verify -) in a significant amount, Burberry is quite musky. I'd classify it as a dark-green fougère-oriental. It has decent projection, a stunning longevity. Pure superb perfume enjoyment in one of the most wonderful hefty glass bottles. A shame that this is a dying genre and a thing of the past.
(As an alternative I'd take Eau Sauvage Parfum - though it's really not the same.)
24th June, 2016 (last edited: 27th June, 2016)
I thought I was sampling the 1981 version, but apparently it was Version #2 from 1992. I am a fan. I think it has some moss that adds a dimension to make it develop into something even better than the initial half hour, and I think I smell amber in the base making it sweet.
22nd June, 2016 (last edited: 23rd June, 2016)
A great fragrance. The best from this house (well almost as I have not tried the first one yet). As Shifty Bat puts it - a cocktail of best of the best masculines. The mint is sublime and brings it all together. Get it while you can. A steal at current prices.

Edit: Now that I have tried their #1 I can say that this is the best from this house.
24th April, 2016 (last edited: 23rd June, 2016)
Version 2 (c.1995)

Inescapably green herbal with mint on the open into the heart. There's a bit of conifer too, all the while, sitting upon an unobtrusive bed of lite resinous amber. There's a dissipating cooling affect due to the mint, which is nice. Every time I wear this, I wonder why I don't do so more often. Good one for the office. I was fortunate enough to have paid <$10/oz. A bargain at 3 times the price. Glad I grabbed one when I did. It's a keeper!
07th April, 2016
Derby had a long lost little brother?
I recently received samples of this and was reading through reviews of the prior (original) Burberrys fragrance for men and someone said that the (then) new Brit was similar to either this or to Guerlain's Derby. The first time I had read somebody comparing Brit to Derby I had no good words to say. After trying this I realize, like the Missing Link, there was simply a step taken out of the path that, once recovered, made the journey from one side to the other less of a leap.
Burberry for Men smells like a sweet, ambery, citronella candle- waxy, with enough juniper and pepper to give it bite and with the same artemisia and mint opening as my beloved Derby. But what stole my heart from right out of my chest is that civet note- so sweet and seductively dirty at the same time. This, from the well-mannered British?
Put one part Derby, two parts Brit, and a dash of Ungaro II (that's the sandalwood and civet part) in a shaker, strain and serve. I will have another, please.

27th March, 2011

Add your review of Burberry for Men (Version #2)

Shop for Burberry for Men (Version #2) products online

Burberry Mr. Burberry Eau de Parfum for Men Sample 2ml/0.06fl.oz. Lot Of 3! New!

End Date: Sunday Feb-17-2019 3:38:56 PST

Burberry London Fabric 3.3 Eau De Toilette Spray Men As In Pic

End Date: Sunday Feb-17-2019 4:57:56 PST
Buy It Now for only: $28.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Burberry for Men (Version #2)

There are no member images of Burberry for Men (Version #2) yet. Why not be the first?