Safran Troublant (2002)

Based on 231 ratings

Safran Troublant Fragrance notes

Red rose, Saffron Vanilla, Sandalwood

Safran Troublant information

Safran Troublant is a unisex fragrance by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 2002

Shop for Safran Troublant products online

Reviews of Safran Troublant

Showing 1 to 6 of 35 reviews.

jtd's avatar

Olivia Giacobetti has a way of combining disparate elements to make something that while surprising is never shocking.  Unexpected, but perfectly coherent when you think about it.  The sweet and salty hay of Dzing! The smoked-lily soap of Passage d’Enfer.

It’s a delicious way of changing our reality.  The trick is neither fantastical nor over-the-top. She gives us something that doesn't really exist, but easily could since it makes perfect sense. In Safran Troublant, she doesn't give us a talking bear or a winged horse. She gives us a rose/saffron marshmallow. Not only is this imaginable, it starts to convinces me that I might actually have eaten one of these marshmallow at some time or other.  The perfume is so persuasive that I question myself.  Is the perfume a memory or an imagination?  Giacobetti speculates so effectively that I question the experience, but she does it so deftly that ultimately I don't care.  It's as if I'm day-dreaming.  My mind eases a bit and I become more mindful and less perplexed.

Some perfumes call to mind comparisons to the visual arts.  The portraiture of the soliflor. The fruity-floral as a still-life image. The abstract expressionism of Timbuktu.  Giacobetti breaks into the written word with her perfume. Safran Troublant is literary fiction.  It is the perfect short story.  I don’t know of any other perfumer who does this.

from scenthurdle.com

18 June, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

I love the creamy initial blast of saffron and rose, but the rose soon leaves and I am left with a medicinal clove-like after scent of the saffron and a bland vanilla.

Very light and not very long lasting.

A for originality, D for follow-through.

06 March, 2014

voodoodanny's avatar

I could have sworn there was cardamom in this - like Cartier Declaration but better and more gourmand. In any case, it's wonderful and after one sniff I was hooked. I'm very much looking forward to sniff number two.

25 February, 2013 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2013)

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Veritas and Proportion are the guiding deities behind this divine scent. Giacobetti propitiates Veritas by realizing the truest saffron note I have yet encountered in perfumery – this is the real thing, the kind of magical intoxicating fragrance that first made people pick crocus stamens in back-breaking labour. Unadulterated saffron is pretty difficult to source these days and thus many people's perception of this note can be a bit mixed up.
    Proportion (and no doubt craft) is what makes one baker turn out a minor miracle with flour, water, yeast and salt, and another a chewy lump. Here the merest dab of rose gives extra propulsion to the saffron at the start, and then the vanilla smoothes and gently warms the entire composition into creamy voluptuousness. To call this a gourmand is to somewhat miss the point; to my mind this has the erotic charge of being with someone with whom one is completely at ease and to whom surrender will bring only pleasure.
    Sadly, loses strength fast and needs reapplications.

29 June, 2012

Birdboy48's avatar

Duh : This is one of those ones that's distinctive enough that if you're going to love it, you'll really love it, and if you don't, you won't.

Certainly not your Mr. Studly Sextup type of thing, but rather my go-to comfort scent instead.

And the sort of thing that if you like Tea for Two, there's a fair chance that you'll like this too.

Count me among those who love it.

18 April, 2012

Jill Merrell's avatar

I agree with the flavors on the previous posts. Not a sexy scent to me, like Opium, but a comforting scent.

12 October, 2011

Add your review of Safran Troublant

Search for on eBay United States

L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant 3.4oz Eau de Toilette Spray
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left:
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant Eau De Toilette Spray (New Packaging) 100ml
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 23 days
    (* converted from AUD 165.95) Ebay United States
    (Shipping from Hong Kong)
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant EDT Spray 100ml/3.4oz