Chinatown (2005)

HouseBond No. 9
PerfumerAurélien Guichard
Parent CompanyLaurice & Co

About Chinatown

Chinatown is a shared / unisex perfume by Bond No. 9. The scent was launched in 2005 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Aurélien Guichard

Chinatown fragrance notes

Reviews of Chinatown

I'm not sure what can be said that hasn't already. This thing is sweet, sweet, sweet, and lasts forever. It goes quite floral on clothes the second day. It can be "screechy" and a bit too much--heaven help you if you wear this in hot weather, it would be too overpowering. But in winter/spring/fall it can be fun. I happily finished my sample, and would use another sample if it came my way, but would not buy a full bottle.
18th November, 2017
A sweet floral fragrance, this is mostly gardinia and peony mixed with the sweetness of cardamom and vanilla. Peach blossoms and orange blossoms have very subtle odor in nature, and I'm not sure I smell them in this perfume. I smell a trace of fake artificial peach fragrance which smells absolutely foul, but thankfully not enough to ruin this fragrance.
14th September, 2017
Here's a thought: what about Chinatown as a New World or a junk food twist on Guerlain's landmark Mitsuoko? Fruit-note-with-chypre (check), Asian influenced name (check), strange warm radiance . . . .

I may be way behind the curve with this idea, but I keep smelling that unmistakeable peach/powder/herb Mitsuoko at the heart of Chinatown, with Mitsuoso's warm glow replaced by bright twinkles of aldehydic tuberose and gardenia, and hints of candied strawberry and a slightly chemical lavender, like Fabuloso cleaner. The result teeters on the edge of trashy, depending on how heavy you are with the trigger.

Longevity is amazing, and the rich patchouli bottom on the drydown never veers into head shop territory. My husband followed me around all night while I wore this, grabbing my wrist.

Edit: 1 month later, after another wearing or two, I still enjoy the joke, but I know the punchline already. I'm glad I had a sample before I committed.

Another edit: over a year later, I've given in to Chinatown's garish charms. Spring came, and I just needed it.
28th January, 2016 (last edited: 07th April, 2017)
Salutation.

Such a strange,lovely scent.CHINATOWN makes you feel pampered yet luxurious.it has a perfect blend of the exotic sensual and the fresh smell that makes you appear sexy and innocent at the same time.alluring and sophisticated with a touch of sweetness.the perfume is is very rich and elegant and it's very expensive but it is all worth it.unisex but quite feminine as just makes you wanna hold your wife or girlfriend close and enjoy her sense with this lovely floral scent. Unique,Elegant,Floral, Modern,Exciting, Spicy,Graceful and Special and all this in a Gorgeous bottle,too!

At first it is a little aggressive but as minutes go by,it becomes better and better.The middle notes is all flowers with spicy cardamom,it ends with something warm and woody with patchouli and a subtle touch of vanilla that is simply bewitching and sensual. in fact this mixture is both crisply energetic and warmly sensual.the dry down is excitingly strange.The description for this fragrance is very'true to scent'!I strongly recommend this fragrance for those that want a scent of mystery and long lasting and very pleasing to the senses in Special and Intimate occasion.

Sillage?Nice.

Longevity?Above Average on my skin.

7.25/10
01st June, 2015
Chinatown in Venice or Vienna may be (do those cities have a Chinatown too??). Nothing new under the sun but a real "harmonious" surprise considering that this one is a Bond No.9's issue. This scent is based on a satisfactory harmony between fruity, floral, woody and musky-balmy notes. Chinatown is indeed a graceful and fragile spicy-floral chypre in which the (initially playing) "aqueous" floral elements (peony, may be lotus), gardenia and tuberose (as joined with a musky plain cardamom presence, light woods, patchouli and a touch of vanilla) play a central role in the subtle (really balanced) amalgam. Gradually an ylang-ylang/tuberose/cinnamon/fruits accord jumps on the stage so musky, soapy, ambery and peachy. Probably a minimal hint of plums and violets darkens the wake. The dry down is subtle, balmy (vaguely coconutty but absolutely not gourmand of course) and slightly fruity till the end (scents a la Giulietta Capuleti Soul Drops and -with all the proportions and in a lighter way- Ysatis, Femme or Absolu Rochas jump vaguely on mind). Unoriginal (I don't see the uniqueness some talk about around on the forums) but "gracefully" appointed. Appalling bottle.
28th March, 2015
Chinatown by Bond No. 9 is not really a fruity chypre; in fact, I am pretty sure it’s classified as a floral oriental. But I can only wear Chinatown without it turning my stomach if I think of it as a (very) distant relation of Mitsouko and other fruity chypres. I see it as being connected, tangentially, to Mitsouko via the peach-jasmine heart accord, highly spiced resins and balsams, and the smell of floor wax. Technically, Chinatown contains all the notes I most hate in perfumery – specifically, a very coconut-y tuberose, gardenia, peony, and a very pulpy, almost ‘canned fruit’ type of peach note. I find white florals difficult anyway, and Chinatown just pours lush white flowers on top of yet more white flowers, and then adds a can of Delmonte peach segments in their syrup, and it’s all so much that I almost have to look away before I gag.

But somewhere underneath this tidal wave of sickening sweetness, a nebulous backbone of chypre-ish elements begin to take place – a snuffed candle note, floor wax, and woody resins. Chinatown never feels like a chypre, though. It doesn’t have the requisite salinity of moss, the bergamot at the start stands absolutely no chance of stemming the tide of sickly white flowers, and the patchouli in the base is not present enough for it to register even as a poor man’s stand in for moss.

But, oddly enough, when I wear Chinatown (from a sample), I always wear a dab of Mitsouko on my other wrist, and the quiet but forceful presence of Mitsouko always helps me to pick out the slight connections in Chinatown. When I wear Chinatown like this, I experience more of the floor wax, incense, and spiced fruit in the fragrance, and this helps me to combat the nausea I have in dealing with the sickeningly sweet white floral aspects. In conclusion, Chinatown is not a chypre, but it is a fragrance that I can somewhat force to behave a bit like one by placing it in close proximity to Mitsouko. And this is how I make Chinatown work for me.
17th December, 2014

Add your review of Chinatown

Shop for Chinatown products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Chinatown

There are no member images of Chinatown yet. Why not be the first?