Style In Play (2004)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 252 ratings

Style In Play Fragrance Notes

Style In Play information

In 2002, Procter & Gamble launched their first Lacoste fragrance since acquiring the license. Two years on, and a new masculine Lacoste scent is launched - apparently called 'Style in Play', though the bottle just says 'Lacoste'.
    Aimed at a younger market to Lacoste pour Homme, the new scent contains notes of jasmine and musk.

Shop for Style In Play products online

50ml EdT
    125ml EdT
    75ml EdT

Reviews of Style In Play

Showing 1 to 6 of 67 reviews.

Amos Jolthead's avatar

Style in Play is a nice spring/summer fragrance that is dominated by green apple. Initially I notice the apple and musk in the background. The apple note lasts quite awhile actually, more than most top notes do, but eventually I can smell some jasmine, but not much. On the dry down I get a pretty standard patchouli, vetiver mix. All in all Style in Play is a nice, simple fragrance that is inexpensive, lasts a good amount of time and produces a nice range of sillage - not too overpowering or soft. Good for anyone who has decided to begin wearing a fragrance, as it's not overly complicated. I wouldn't likely purchase this for myself, but I would wear it if someone bought it for me. I acquired my bottle in a trade for a fragrance I didn't like. Anyway, not great, but pretty good.

15 May, 2014

Tony T's avatar

A simple fresh scent

A solid beginner's cologne. nice apple up front and not really much else. Aimed at the younger crowd if it was released now it would be a top seller. I like it but hardly wear it..

Pros: good smell
    Cons: synthetic"

22 August, 2013

DryDownTown's avatar

Suddenly got old.

I got through 2 bottles of this, well, 1 and 3/4, before I hated it and threw the remainder in the bin.

First of all I loved it, it has a fruity fragrance, very 'appley' which dries down to a slightly fruity marine fragrance, very typical of most scents aimed at youngsters.

Then it started giving me a bit of a headache and got relegated to the work drawer, used only when I felt like a quick freshen up before leaving for home. Then I couldn't stand it even for that. One of my colleagues described the scent as 'gone-off apple Tango'.

I guess as I matured I no longer enjoyed the very young and fruity scent and hated the fact it lacks any sort of class.

You may like it if you are <20 years old but beware you will grow to hate it. I gave it 2.5 stars purely because I used to love it but anybody in search of a fruity fragrance could go much better even in the Lacoste range.

30th May, 2013

MapOfTheWoods's avatar

Okay... this is a tough one. This fragrance has split personality disorder. This is not a review as much as it is a psychiatric evaluation.

On the very top, the apples are strong and incredibly noticeable. This is the shining moment when all of the other times I tried a fruity scent, they would fail, Lacoste Style In Play simply amazed me. The word "amazed" gets so overused in the colloquial sense, I have to stress that I was truly amazed.

We're talking about real apples... I'll have a bite of such an apple and enjoy it a great deal. I love to smell the rind before I bite it. Each one has its own life to it, and some of the exotic, more expensive varieties don't even match up to the good old fashioned red apple. It's weird. They captured the essence so well, I was hooked.

Drying down, it begins to misunderstand what it was born to do, as this changes into the typical headache I get from woodsy/sporty scents. To put it bluntly, this one just plain sucks after an hour. Not only does the apple go away (almost immediately), but it turns into the ho-hum everyday bland woods-meets-musk junk I smell ALL of the time. This seems to be the general idea from everything Lacoste. I try and try, but it's always the top notes that get me, all the while the nasty NASTY headache lurks beneath.

Definitely a try-before-you-buy thing. Seriously, don't let those top notes fool you! Lacoste are the top notes masters. After the drydown, they all smell the same to me.

18 February, 2013

CASUAL's avatar

Very Very Unique Fragrance. Green apple is listed as the top note but I smell more of a Red apple. To me Lacoste Style In Play smells a lot how apple cider tastes with a hint of cinnamon.

09 January, 2013

OCNBreeze7's avatar

Lacoste (Red) Style in Play... Classy and Distinguished...

For those of you following my reviews know that I am a fan of the aqua, citrus, and fresh scents. Lacoste (Red) Style in Play is from that mold and I am a fan. Of particular interest - I received this as a Christmas present - thanks Mom..!! Obviously, there is some sentimental value in Style in Play...

I have four (4) other Lacoste fragrances, maybe more, and Style in Play is my favorite. It opens with citrus and "fresh" notes and finishes with citrus, musk, and hints of "woodsy" notes. It is definitely masculine and provides that "freshly showered feeling" - you guys know what I am talking about. To reiterate, I like it and it is easy on the nose.

I have worn Style in Play once since Christmas. While I have not received any "formal" (outside of Sweetie) compliments, it has potential. The fragrance is that unique and appealing. For those that like Versace Pour Home and Diesel, Only the Brave, you will enjoy this fragrance. Style in Play has average, or slightly above average, projection/sillage with longevity of 6+ hours - a little longer on clothing (I like to spray a little on my business shirt sleeve around the cuff/wrist area). As far as the occasion goes - I would feel comfortable wearing Style in Play during any season, time of day, or any event - great flexibility and/or versatility.

The packaging and bottle design are fantastic - definitely unique and one gets the impression Lacoste wants to compete with Ralph Lauren, Dior, Chanel, and other high end designers. My only disappointment with the fragrance is the price/value. Current deals has the larger bottle selling for about $50.00, which seems a little high given the fragrance has been around for a while. Lucky Me - Mom hooked me up..!!

Final scoring for Style in Play is 4.4 stars out of 5. If the price/value were better, perhaps my scoring would be higher. Style in Play finishes just outside my Top 10. Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try...

03 January, 2013

• Time Left: 2 days
    STARTING BID
    LACOSTE STYLE IN PLAY RED * Cologne for Men * 4.2 oz * NEW IN BOX
    (Shipping from United States)
    LACOSTE STYLE IN PLAY RED for Men by Lacoste EDT Spray 4.2 oz ~NEW IN TESTER BOX
    • Time Left: 3 days
    LACOSTE STYLE IN PLAY RED * Cologne for Men * 4.2 oz * BRAND NEW TESTER
    LACOSTE RED STYLE IN PLAY COLOGNE MEN 4.2 OZ EDT SPRAY NIB
    • Time Left: 25 days
    Lacoste Red Style In Play by Lacoste EDT Spray 4.2 oz
    • Time Left: 6 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Lacoste Red Style in Play Eau De Toilette 4.2 oz For Men *Tester (sku:11254)
    • Time Left: 17 days