B*Men (2004)

PerfumerJacques Huclier
PackagingThierry Mugler
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About B*Men

A new "super-hero" in Mugler's men's range. After A*Men comes B*Men. Basenotes was disappointed that A*Men's partner wasn't called D*Men. It would have been a nice 'play' on good and evil -- A(ngel)*Men Vs D*Men (Demon). Oh well!
The scent was inspired by A*Men, and the bottle is exactly the same, but khaki/red instead of silver/blue. A new classic? We'll have to wait and see.
Basenotes' review copy of B*Men was supplied by Escentual

B*Men fragrance notes

Reviews of B*Men

I was looking for a replacement scent for my bottle of Armani Attitude and this scent was mentioned several times.

I was able to get a gift set from Groupon to test this out. The first time I spayed this I HATED IT!!! All I smelled was a sickly sweet Rhubard smell that I first thought smelled like licorice.

I tried it again on my skin after a shower and the Licorice dissipated quicker and dried down to a lovely and spicy fragrance that I have since fallen in love with. This is my GO to cologne for nights out.

My wife asked "What are you wearing" I asked her if she liked it... SHE LOVED IT. I had a neighbor bury her head into my chest and tell her husband he needed to buy some!

This is a "MANS" cologne and a nice break from all the fruity and powdery colognes that have invaded the market for the metro crowd.
01st December, 2015
Thumb way up and folks, that is not licorice but rhubarb.

Great fragrance that is UNIQUE, even if you do not like it you have to admit it is different.

WARM, Gourmand and made for cooler and evening wear.

Embracing notes that give you that Home-made dish favorite aroma.
16th November, 2015
Salutation.

Another Star in THIERRY MUGLER Sky. It has a Special Warmth like A*Men Furthermore it is More Romantic and Modern than it However i Still Prefer A*Men. This one is Full of Style with a Sensuous Scent. Masculine,Powerful, Warm,Sophisticated,Seductive and Sweet but not sticky sweet.

Leather,Vanilla and Spice mingle with Violet&Musk Leaves and Makes a Composition that is Unmistakable virile. The leather note in B*MEN is not Overpowering or Harsh but is more of a supple Leather that works alongside the Vanilla to create a very impressive fragrance.

This Alluring Oriental is Appropriate for a Romantic Evening like a Romantic Dinner with Your Wife.quite Suitable for a Passionate Character in Winter. If you are Looking makes a Beautiful Impression in HOT moments B*MEN is Your Pal!

Sillage?Nice.

Longevity?Not Superb Like A*Men but it is Good on my skin.

7.5/10
18th April, 2015
The community seems split (decant pun?) over the quality of the fragrance, with the consensus being that it's a lesser sibling of the other A*Men fragrances but not terrible, and on this point, I have to agree. It's most similar to Angel Men, the patchouli undertone (the characteristic A*Men "DNA") being highlighted by the rhubarb, fruit, and spice notes on top. In some respects, then, it's gourmand-ish like A*Men Taste of Fragrance, but not as distinctive.

Projection and longevity are both disappointing, specifically with respect to the other entries in the Mugler line. I get about 3 hours on my skin until it starts to disappear, and less than a foot projection, so it's less than half of the others in both respects.

Has it been discontinued? I had trouble finding it on many of the main sites. Regardless, it's not one I'll be tracking down beyond a Google search. While slightly less cloying than A*Men or A*Men Taste of Fragrance, it lacks the quality of Pure Malt, Pure Havane, or even Pure Coffee, so while interesting to smell, it doesn't embody any special qualities of its own.

6 out of 10
17th February, 2015 (last edited: 21st February, 2015)
Genre: Woody Oriental

So what does B*Men have in common with A*Men? The sweet intensity? Mostly. The patchouli? Certainly. The tremendous sillage and projection? Still there. The chocolate? Hey! Where’s the chocolate!!?? For that matter, where’s the mint?

Yup, B*Men smells a bit like A*Men without the more outlandish gourmand elements. What’s left is a very sweet, spicy, patchouli-dominated woody oriental scent. Which is to say, nothing special. The drydown, which sets in after an hour or two, and persists forever, is a dense, sweet accord of powdery vanilla, patchouli, cedar, and a raspy woody amber. It is at once very loud, heavy, and shapeless, and leaves me with the impression of being smothered under heaps of fallen velvet drapery.

As a scent B*Men is neither here nor there. It lacks its predecessor’s outrageous elements, its eccentricities, and hence much of its originality, yet retains the crude bulk that makes A*Men feel so oppressive to some noses. (Mine included.) I’m not surprised it’s gone.

(Mugler could have ventured onward with “C*Men,” but I guess Etat Libre d’Orange beat him to the punch on that one with the hideous Sécrétions Magnifiques.)
09th June, 2014
Wow, talk about Gourmand...

Only 15 minutes into B*men. And I felt like I've eaten an entire bag of Licorice Allsorts !!! Especially those with mostly black in it. You either love those, or you hate'em. Fair warning. I love'em. But even then...

Thankfully, B*men does eventually cease shoving Allsorts through my nose, and mellow out into something vaguely like a gourmand version of YSL Body Kouros: Resinous woods, with heavy spice, and rich anise(y) sweetness (I'm not saying they smell the same tho). Where Body Kouros' sweetness is restrained by the eucalyptus which cools it; B*men's not into kinky restraints, at ALL. Nope. In fact, he'd rather put on some dapper duds and treat you to a 5* gourmet dinner at an elegant restaurant ; )

O, and don't forget to bring along the Allsorts.
06th January, 2014 (last edited: 29th March, 2014)

Add your review of B*Men

Shop for B*Men products online

Shop for B*Men at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for B*Men