parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Tar (2004)
    by Comme des Garçons

• Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Average Rating: 4

Based on 71 ratings

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Tar Fragrance notes

Town gas, Vapours of Bitumen, Bergamot, Earth Notes, Opopanax, Styrax, Grilled Cigarettes, Pryogenic Notes

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Tar information

The sixth in CdG's parfums*PARFUMS range is "Synthetic" and comes in 5 scents. The bottles each contain a plastic pouch that deflates gradually as the product is depleted.

Reviews of parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Tar

Showing 1 to 6 of 15 reviews.
    positive 11 Positive Reviewsneutral5 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

odysseusm's avatar

An interesting experiment

This is a very interesting and complex scent. It has three stages.

First, there is a clean, industrial, plastic-y bright stage. Like a plastic doll, left in the sun. Definitely some tar notes, but not the warm smell of freshly-poured road asphalt, more like well-aged or well-tempered old tar. An old industrial site... whiff of a metal ashtray... yet attractive, interesting and wearable. Not my style but I am intrigued. Then a great pyrogenic/flinty note develops. The reviewer who mentioned "old concrete basement" really captured this. Old, but clean -- not musty or moldy. Thus, this stage is high-concept and well done.

The second phase stalls. It gets a bit sweet and tiresome. I wonder if the scent is losing its edgy nerve. It gets dense, like plasticine.

Then, a third stage appears! A woody incense! Quite a surprise, given what has gone before. Though, in thinking of the CdG line, that really is their signature or house style. This is very nice and has good longevity.

Overall, a very interesting scent. Try it, don't be put off by the synthetic aspect. :coolold:

Pros: The synthetic notes work well
    Cons: Stalls but recovers"

29 September, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

I like avant garde fragrances, and this doesn't smell bad. Imagine the challenge of making tar wearable. But I don't know where I would wear it. It is linear tar and plastic, not as bad as it sounds. Just not for me.

26 January, 2013

alfarom's avatar

Tar is actually much less scary than it may sounds. Yes, it smells of pure asphalt and it is somewhat weird but, as usual with Comme Des Garcons, it results wearable, absolutely unique and very distinctive (assuming you're fine with the typical avant-garde aspect of most of the house's deliveries).

Upon application, Tar delivers an industrial accord of black asphalt juxtaposed to a slightly strident note of bergamot. The overall effect is remarkably modern, sort of urban-industrial in a very artistic way, unconventional yet very compelling. In this phase Tar brings to mind of large clean basements, modern art exhibitions at the Hamburger Banhoff, minimal techno parties taking place in ex-warehouses now turned into alternative clubs, brand new modern buildings, high speed trains, cabs, temporary Guerrilla stores, rainy days, wet asphalt. Tokyo, Berlin, New York...

The fragrance evolves into an amazing styrax driven drydown that while being slightly more approachable than the opening, it's still far from resulting conventional. Insensey, woody with just a hint of sweetness and with the typical synthetic facet that's the house's hallmark. Probably not a fragrance to anyone's taste but, if you're up for something really avant-garde, there's nothing like it.

Once again, when it comes to the binomial "weird and wearable", there's nothing like Comme Des Garcons.

Love it!

03 May, 2012

Scentational's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Since the very first time I heard about this series and especially this one, Tar, it was something I HAD TO try, just because I like eccentric concepts and I do really like some synthetic smells, especially the "new plastic" type of.

It's actually hard to find so I didn't have the chance to try before buy, but it couldn't be a better blind buy, it's exactly what I wanted in a synthetic fragrance.
    To my nose, it doesn't really smell like tar, even if I detect this note somewhere, it's more something like freshly made plastic, gas with a touch of "electronic dust" added. The smell itself doesn't evolve so much, but it becomes a bit softer as the time passes, though.
    Extreme, unusual, 100% non-natural, I imagine Motoko Kusanagi (from the "Ghost in the Shell" anime movie) wearing this fragrance.

Not sure it's well appreciated by the crowd, but I'm sure it was made for me, I love it !

11th February, 2012

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Very very nice, and quite similar to Dzing! Also family to Bulgari Black. As I own those two, I guess I don't need Tar. If you like those kinds of scents, though, try Tar - it's cheaper to boot.

21st June, 2010

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

I pretty much like the description of this scent as "a modulation of vetiver into another key". Especially talking about "dry" and "earthy", except that here we're talking about oil, petroleum, coal, asphalt, rubber, almost pungent, very heavy and not aided by any "pleasant" note in whatever sense you may put into this word.For the first one or two hours I almost got headache wearing this. It's like you've put on a brand new cheap plastic/rubber/whatever synthetic raincoat or - to be literal - you're in the center of a renovated street with the asphalt still melting. I don't mind making strange impression or a strong statement to the world around me wearing this, if it wasn't that I myself would get dizzy wearing it. Still, I should add that I'm actually not a big fan of 'earthy' scents in general, if that makes little more sense.
    Anyway, after this pungent phase some surprisingly wearable synthetic notes come to light, more vynil than tar. They don't have any depth but still, after the initial torture it was a nice surprise to have them. This 'base' is quite resistant on clothes, I would say. Makes your cotton t-shirts smell like rubber boots. It just depends whether you want this effect or not.
    Speaking of complexity, smells to me like a single note which you cannot divide. I guess that's the concept.
    It might be a good idea to mix this scent with some floral/fruity/green or whatever more or less "naturally" smelling perfume comes to mind, just to add a bit of alien groove to it. But then, it's pretty much possible that you'll end up with something similar to Bulgari Black. Which leads me to the following description:
    Remove everything sweet, smokey, vegetal, flowery, profound and complex from Bulgari Black and you'd pretty much have CdG Tar.

05 September, 2009