parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda (2004)
by Comme des Garçons

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda information

Year of Launch2004

HouseComme des Garçons
PerfumerNathalie Feisthauer

About parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda

The sixth in CdG's parfums*PARFUMS range is "Synthetic" and comes in 5 scents. The bottles each contain a plastic pouch that deflates gradually as the product is depleted.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda fragrance notes

Reviews of parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda

I was so pleased that Soda was a pleasure to experience. I am keen on weird, unusual scents. Unfortunately most of the other "weird" CdGs were total fails on me. I was not optimistic going into this. But it is lovely on me - happy, uplifting, sunny! And yes, fizzy. I did feel like it smelled a bit like 7Up, but my husband at the time (who did not know its name when I he sniffed it on me) said "I don't know what you're talking about - maybe a bit like gin and tonic with a fresh lemon"

Even though I like some other CdG better than Soda, I found a really good price and ended up getting a bottle of this for use during the day. Plus, I really liked the packaging of this series. On me it is an inoffensive and wearable scent. Despite the booziness, it's work appropriate as there's not much sillage. It's pretty linear after the initial fizz dies down. After a while I sold/swapped the bottle (maybe I was about halfway through) when I was moving and paring down.

---
As a fan of CdG's aesthetics, as well as fragrance enthusiast, I was interested in their perfumes and I tried a lot of their offerings, 2-3 at a time, in 2006-2009 when I lived in London and would go to Dover Street Market frequently. I got samples of some, full bottles of others. This review is from my notes back then so may not be what I think now, or take into account reformulations etc.
05th July, 2017
Genre: Citrus

Comme des Garçons’ Soda demonstrates what I already knew: that soft drink flavorings are often manufactured in the same chemical plants as perfume ingredients. Soda starts out as a perfect facsimile of 7-Up, morphs into ginger ale, and winds up on a clean musk base note. It’s true to its name and concept, but it doesn’t work within my understanding of personal fragrance. If you want to smell like you’ve just spilled your soda pop, this is your ticket.
03rd July, 2014
The topnotes are really the stars of Soda - an effervescent mix of ginger and lemon with a shot of aldehydes for sparkle that actually do smell like some sort of bubbly soda.

That being said, this is CDG and the topnotes are quickly swallowed up in a stew of weirdness. First of all, those aldehydes that smell sparkly at first dry down to a whipped egg white smell that's quite prominent through the day, and there's also a shot of CDG's signature overheating-copier ozone note, as well as a hot rubber smell that ends up being the focus of the scent as the day passes. In fact, for most of the day, Soda actually smells mostly like hot car tires mixed with eggy meringue with a weird sweet syrupy lemon ginger stickiness on top.

If you're looking for the same sort of fresh lemon ginger soda smell without all the artsy fartsy weirdness, check out L'Eau Par Kenzo Pour Homme, but if you're comfortable with some unusual notes, CDG's Soda is much more interesting.
21st May, 2012
Among the countless reasons why I love Comme Des Garcons (both for their fragrances and their clothes), is that they've been able during the years to bring a strong dose of (smart) irony to two of the most "serious" an "pompous" sectors of the fashion industry. Where other brands focused on stereotyped luxury and made-up heritage, CDG has based most of their innovative power on irony and a funny mash-up bewteen the japanese comics culture, avant-garde and slight fetishist aspects (see many of their military-inspired collection of clothes).

If you're fine with their "vision" and, sometimes, you feel like wearing a fragrance just for fun, Soda it's just up your alley. Wha it smells like? Ginger and citruses galore with a remarkable effervescent aspect given by the aldehydes. A true to life rendition of the soda with the usual slight pvc twist of most of the fragrances in their Synthetic Series. Not a wower, nothing particularly weird, revolutionary or groundbreaking...just plain fun.
25th February, 2012
I guess I should've researched this one more. I was expecting a dark soda (cola) type fragrance, instead it's akin to smelling like Ginger Ale. "Soda" has a bright, summery feeling to it -- green and somewhat sparkly, although it dries down fairly quickly and leaves something faintly rose/musk in its wake. There are better effervescent green frags out there, but this one isn't a total disaster either.
23rd May, 2010
The top notes are synthetic citrus and very "fizzy." It then just sort of smells like "chemicals." It's interesting to smell a fragrance that doesn't even try to smell natural - not many companies have the nerve. Thumbs up for being unique, if nothing else. It really smells nice, too. I would wear it if the occasion was right.
19th November, 2009

Add your review of parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda

Shop for parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda products online

Search Amazon for parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda

Member images of parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda

There are no member images of parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda yet. Why not be the first?