Eau des Merveilles (2004)
by Hermès

Eau des Merveilles information

Year of Launch2004

HouseHermès
PerfumerRalf Schwieger
PerfumerNathalie Feisthauer
PackagingSerge Mansau

About Eau des Merveilles

Probably would work as a unisex scent. Eau des Merveilles contains no floral note and its notes are upside down.  All the woody-musky notes are on top, rather than at the base of the fragrance.

From surprise to magic and from magic to enchantment, Eau des Merveilles leads us by the nose on a dream cloud. A multi-faceted novel built on a woody amber accord that resonates right through to the top notes, this fragrance was created in 2004 by Ralph Schwieger and Nathalie Feisthauer. It successfully takes on the challenge of being a sparkling women’s perfume with not a flower in sight.

Eau des Merveilles fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau des Merveilles

Salty orange

Not a sweet orange nor a bitter orange, but a metallic yet salty orange overtone - a bit ozonic as well as the citric scent settles down. Strange oceanic ambiance as it settles down and the wood tones come out to play. The best part is when a slight breeze happens while wearing Eau de Merveilles wafting the salty orange notes around you.

As time goes on there is a slight scent of honeysuckle mixed in. Strangely addicting scent that morphs and changes pending body heat, outside temperature and body chemistry but manages to retain a hint of orange, sea, and woods - each one ebbs and flow in strength as it wears on. Shame it doesn't last very long - I had to do a second application around the 4 hour mark.
01st July, 2018
Le bonheur de vivre BY Henri Matisse
01st February, 2018
It’s reverse. It’s dry with lots of amber. It’s unisex.
This makes it unique enough for this review to be positive. But I feel it’s way too weak, both in projection and in sillage.
19th January, 2018
An interesting green chypre smell encased in soap. It's got everything you'd want from a green chypre - that sour fusion of bergamot and moss, heavy on the galbanum and verdant patchouli, with a pinch of vetiver later on. There's even a subtle aldehydic sparkle on top for a while.

But the real focus is always on the soap. Instead of smelling like perfume, Merveilles always smells to me more like soap perfumed with an unexpectedly complex green scent.

In all, I enjoy Eau de Merveilles, but not enough to go through a bottle, as soapy-clean perfumes, no matter how interesting, are rarely anything I'd reach for. But still a thumbs up for quality and novelty.
27th March, 2017
Eau des Merveilles is SO UNIQUE!!! I seem to ALWAYS get compliments when I wear this! I do detect the orange, but not that sweet of an orange, more like clementine. I first purchased this in the summer and wore it to a 4th of July picnic, where it received many compliments. I will be wearing it this winter, which will most likely make a beautiful fragrance to wear during the holidays! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Eau des Merveilles by Hermes!!!
08th November, 2016
My bottle of this fragrance was given to me by a rather profligate friend who had blind-bought it under the misapprehension that the "amber" of Eau des Merveilles was that sweet, warm, almost edible-smelling accord made from labdanum and vanilla and benzoin and other sticky resinous things. This is not that kind of amber. The 'amber' here is an attempt to replicate the smell of "grey amber," ambergris, which is salty and animalic and excreted by sperm whales. It's a rather important distinction, so let my friend's error serve as a cautionary tale: if you're looking for a sweet vanillic 'amber,' this isn't what you want. There's nothing very sweet in here at all. Even the orange is bitter and pithy and dry, dry, dry. Bone dry.

Dryness, in fact, is pretty much what this fragrance is all about. I've seen beach imagery used to describe this scent, and I find that apt enough so long as one understands that the aspects of "beach" being invoked here are mainly the salty, parched, and even somewhat uncomfortable aspects: the hot hot sand, the sharp-edged dune grasses, salt-encrusted skin feeling increasingly taut and stretched as it begins to sunburn. An orange peel left out in the merciless sun long enough for it to dry to the texture of a tough curl of pebble-grained leather. The bleached white, twisted forms that when seen from a distance could be either driftwood or bones.

But there's life here, too, beside this strange sea. I've never smelled real ambergris, but many who have claim that the ambergris note in this fragrance is remarkably realistic. And I believe it, because there is a strange undercurrent here that feels positively primeval, just as one would expect of ancient, sea-aged whale excreta. It is a warm and animalic smell, one that is immensely welcoming, yet which also suggests saliva-licked skin, or the milky spit-up of a still-unweaned infant. It's a weirdly intimate smell, simultaneously oceanic and mammalian, and whether it registers as appealing or as disgusting to me seems to depend entirely on my mood. The overall effect, however, is to add the sea to this otherwise dry beach -- and yet also to suggest it as a somewhat strange and alien sea, perhaps an ancient one, perhaps even one of those shallow warm primeval seas that predate our existence as a species altogether.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this fragrance. While I find it both fascinating and immensely sophisticated, I also--as already mentioned--sometimes find its animalic ambergris note more icky than inviting. Then there are also some days when I find this stuff to be an instant migraine, and others when it clogs my sinuses. Don't wear this one around people with allergies or people who are in any way environmentally sensitive! There's something extremely allergenic about it -- it's not the oakmoss, I don't think, but one or more other things that combine with the throat-tickling oakmoss to form a kind of perfect storm of immune response triggering.

Many people seem to like this as a summer fragrance, but for me, high heat and humidity make it far more likely that I'll find myself not enjoying its more animalic facets. I prefer this fragrance for the transitional periods bracketing high summer: late spring to early summer, and late summer to early fall.
26th November, 2015

Add your review of Eau des Merveilles

Shop for Eau des Merveilles products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Eau des Merveilles

There are no member images of Eau des Merveilles yet. Why not be the first?