Frangipani Absolute (2003)

Year of Launch2003

HouseOrmonde Jayne
PerfumerLinda Pilkington

About Frangipani Absolute

Frangipani Absolute is a feminine perfume by Ormonde Jayne. The scent was launched in 2003 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Linda Pilkington

Frangipani Absolute fragrance notes

Reviews of Frangipani Absolute

To begin with, naming a scent "Absolute" indicates it is soliflore
oil, not a mixture of other scents. Perhaps Jayne wants to indicate "Absolutely," rather than the proper wording "Absolut," without the "e."

This begins for me with an apricot note, then settles down to a generic white floral melange without much character and in which I can not detect any of the notes mentioned. I would think one could not hide tuberose, rose or jasmine, but Frangipani Absolute manages to do just that for my nose.

If you want real frangipanni, note the correct spelling with two "n"s, sample Lili Bermuda's Frangipanni. Although Turin describes the scent as somewhere between peach and jasmine, for me it's closest to our tuberose, but sweeter, less green. The notes for the Lili Bermuda blend follow:

Orange Blossom, Ylang Ylang, Jonquil, Jasmine Sambac, Cassis, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Amber, Vanilla

Samples can be obtained directly from Lili Bermuda if you can't find them elsewhere, and very affordably. This is available in pure parfum strength as well as either an edp or edt, I can't recall which.

Comparing both Jayne's version and Lili Bermuda's will I believe be most instructive for those unfamiliar with this beguilng tropical flower.
26th January, 2016
Intensely floral, sweet but not syrupy, heady and semi-camphoraceus, almost playdoh-y in parts even, with a vein of citrus tying up the bouquet. Better make that a 'tree' for this frangipani smells alive!
05th September, 2015
Frangipani Absolute is a sweet, tropical floral scent abundantly spiked with citrusy aldehydes, and based on a sandalwood and creamy coconut that call to mind Dominique Ropion’s tuberose blockbuster for Frederic Malle. The resemblance becomes more literal as a clear tuberose emerges from Frangipani’s floral accord. Frangipani Absolute remains the brighter, sweeter scent, with a lingering citrus note where Carnal Flower has a dry, edgy green component. The coconut is also more prominent in Frangipani, which has the unfortunate effect of conjuring suntan lotion. There’s plenty of sillage, though not so much as in the Malle, so if you’re looking for something a little more reserved in the exotic tropical flower genre Frangipani Absolute might appeal. Oddly for being a quieter scent, Frangipani Absolute misses the ethereal, otherworldly quality that so distinguishes Carnal Flower. Again I fear it is the slightly out-of-balance coconut, along with the sweet fruit, that keeps Ormonde Jayne’s offering earthbound. Nice, but perhaps unnecessary.
14th June, 2014
From the other reviews, I was expecting this to be very sweet and vanilla-y, but when I tried it, I got a huge hit of citrus as the operner so that was a surprise! This fragrance is another winner from OJ, to me at least. The frangipani note is front and center (not that I am so familiar with the flower) and I love how this fragrance brings in so much feminine floral fun in without seeming the tiniest bit old fashioned or cloying. The fragrance slowly evolves into a warm creamy white pillow.

Edit: The more I wear this, the more enormous I find the frangipani note to be...FA does for frangipani what Une Rose by Malle does for rose, it makes it incredibly huge. I'm tempted to say that if you like the ginormism of Diorissimo, or other white flower soliflores, chances are you will like this.
24th June, 2011 (last edited: 10th February, 2012)
Benj Show all reviews
Ok, I should preface this by saying I have never smelled frangipani.

I like interesting florals, but this is a massive, sweet floral. It starts off tempered by a lovely lime and something peppery and quite exciting but the heart is a huge tuberose, jasmine and, of course, frangipani beast that starts smelling suspiciously like bread and butter pudding and custard around an hour in. The first half hour is very nice, but it just gets too stodgy and too sweet for my taste.
16th January, 2011
Now this is a really good frangipani scent in my humble opinion ! It smells just like frangipani - the living flower.It's got the bit of pollen going on ,a touch of flowery spice of a fresh flower,the delicate yet quite distinctive aroma. Fab. I do love this one. Well done OJ !
05th July, 2010

Add your review of Frangipani Absolute

Shop for Frangipani Absolute products online

Search Amazon for Frangipani Absolute

Member images of Frangipani Absolute

There are no member images of Frangipani Absolute yet. Why not be the first?