Champaca (2002)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 69 ratings

Champaca Fragrance Notes

Champaca information

Champaca is a women's fragrance by Ormonde Jayne. The scent was launched in 2002

Reviews of Champaca

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.
    positive 5 Positive Reviewsneutral3 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral

I've worn the odd, sweet/tart, fruity/floral champaca in scents like Ayala Moriel's Rebellius and Mandy Aftel's Tango, where it is backed by strong, smoky leather. Ormonde Jayne serves it simply, without the smoke and the hide, on a bed of sweet amber and woods. The effect is both exotic and refreshing, but also relativelly bright, and I can see wearing this scent if you're looking for something sweet to wear in summer. On the other hand, Champaca doesn't do much to excite me, and if I'm looking for the distinctive tang of its star ingredient, I'm going to turn to more complex and darker scents.

11th June, 2014

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Another creation of great subtlety from Linda Pilkington; no blaring floral here.
    This one suspends the creamy loveliness of the champak blossom on the comforting notes of the lightest of green teas, bamboo and dry basmati rice – a precious flower resting on gossamer layers. One drifts in and out of its spell, with the scent fading into the background and then coming up again in swells during the day. The lightness of touch made me think of it primarily as a warm weather perfume, but it shows its worth equally well in the enclosed spaces of winter.

12 July, 2012

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

A good ,standard ,floral fragrance but I do actually find it a little boring. Neroli and fressia - sweet ,gourmand ,pretty sheer and airy to me. Not very heavy on the champaca - needs more punch if it's going to be called 'Champaca' . Not for me but its beauty is appreciated .

05 July, 2010

cheryl's avatar

What Vibert said. I am wearing this on one wrist, and Chanel Chance on the other. And maybe I'm crazy, but this seems to be what Chance was trying to be. (Official notes not similar....but I feel a structural resemblance.) This is much much nicer. It's bright. It's sweet. It's has a understory of woodiness. It doesn't add up to the oriental poetry the notes suggest..but is a light dance in springtime florals. I wear when I head out into the garden...currently it's May on the West Coast of Canada. Like others have mentioned, it is a simple affair. It's not compelling, but is easy going.

08 May, 2010

angelica's avatar

This is what a gourmand should be - an elegant floral with a hint of something edible, in this case Kheer.

06 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 September, 2012)

jekkah's avatar

This is a wonderfully warm, happy floral that is not in the least heavy or cloying. It does have a bit of a gourmand feel, but is not heavy like many gourmand fragrances can be. It wears well in fall and spring; I think of it as a protective, comforting scent for when it's too warm to pull out the cashmere-woods-vanilla-spices big guns.

23 February, 2009