Kiehl's Original Musk (1963)
by Kiehl's

Kiehl's Original Musk information

Year of Launch1963

HouseKiehl's
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group

About Kiehl's Original Musk

Kiehl's Original Musk is a shared / unisex perfume by Kiehl's. The scent was launched in 1963

Kiehl's Original Musk fragrance notes

Reviews of Kiehl's Original Musk

The natural sweaty-you enhancer.

At first spray and for the first minute and a half, you are an old lady wearing too many cosmetics. Then you are a creamy, flowery little forest creature. Adorable, doe eyed, earthy, pristine. obviously rosy, indolic, powdery, but the musk is more oily than soapy, keeping it nice and animalic.

The heart notes introduce something like caramel, but not syrupy or bright-sweet.

Base notes of sex. Mostly just sex. Yup, smells like sex. The hankerous pankerous, post nookie musty stank of coitus. But also like you just showered. Like showering with your lover, and then carrying them into the bedroom for some close proximity love making before either of you have dried off completely.

Projection is weak, longevity is inconsistent; you might not still be able to smell this in 30 minutes, or you might wake up tomorrow smelling like incense and honey. Very close to the skin, very intimate, but that's the polite way for this scent to conduct itself. If it was any louder it would be the fragrant equivalent to bragging about how good a sex life you have. As it stands, as sexy as it is, it isn't the least bit offensive.

It's never too dark or too bright, expertly crafted, subtle and elegant, but not girly.

Works best when you let it mix with your own natchy stink, so use unscented deodorant and squirt this on your pits and chest and let it dance with your natural chemistry.
18th November, 2016
An old school musk fragrance that smells very nice, but really is extremely tame. I wouldn't place this in the same genre as Musc Ravaguer or Kubla Khan. Kiehl's reminds me of Habit Rouge more than anything, as the lilly and rose stand out.

Nice, unisex, decent performance and a good price. Not much of a animalistic scent though.
30th January, 2016
This is one of my day-to-day scents whether I'm working or it's the weekend. For me it's the perfect musk scent -- dressed up with just the right amount of floral and citrus to keep it interesting. But at it's core, it's a subtly sexy musk scent that sits close to the skin. To me, it says 'come closer' without any loud, obnoxious fanfare. In my opinion, that subtlety bottled as a fragrance is worth a lot. Whenever I want to boost the warm sexiness of it, I layer it with the musk essence oil.
14th November, 2015
This scent is similar to Triple Lanolin Lotion. I am sure that the type of white musk being used- one that is also in many laundry detergents and fabric softeners, is present in both of these products. It's not bad, but check it out.
10th May, 2015
Musc Koblai Khan's shy brother. I have no idea how this smelled when first launched, but now it is a not unpleasant, fairly animalic Musk. Apart from the initial Top note, which smells, to me, strongly of Benzaldehyde, and which I don't like, it settles into an enjoyable, slightly raunchy (can you have slightly raunchy?) fragrance. It is a lot cheaper than MKK, and not nearly as edgy. It can be worn when you can't think of what else to wear.
22nd March, 2015
Honestly I think this cologne is highly overrated. It's pleasant, but after giving it multiple tries it just does't grab me. I don't detect any of the complexity others are mentioning (got it direct from Kiehls). All I get is a general clean spice smell. I can't imagine this getting much attention.

Don't get me wrong; it's great value. It's definetly a safe inoffensive scent that would be great for casual wear. If you're looking for a scent that is just "nice", this is the one. It's very inexpensive so credit where credit is due.
15th March, 2015

Add your review of Kiehl's Original Musk

Shop for Kiehl's Original Musk products online

Search Amazon for Kiehl's Original Musk

Member images of Kiehl's Original Musk

There are no member images of Kiehl's Original Musk yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as Kiehl's Original Musk (1963)