Kiehl's Original Musk (1963)
by Kiehl's

Kiehl's Original Musk information

Year of Launch1963

HouseKiehl's
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group

About Kiehl's Original Musk

Kiehl's Original Musk is a shared / unisex perfume by Kiehl's. The scent was launched in 1963

Kiehl's Original Musk fragrance notes

Reviews of Kiehl's Original Musk

Not my favorite musk by an stretch, but an excellent one for those whose ultimate musk scent includes flowers and a only pinch of something animalic in the base. This is a 'dirty' musk at its least offensive and could be worn by anyone, anywhere, and anytime. There is something here that smells a bit synthetic or sharp (that I think others might call 'clean'). This note bothers me no matter how many times I try to wear this, but I'm pretty sure this is a personal problem that won't disturb anyone other than me. I've heard that many famous folks wear this: Julianne Moore, for one, and each of them, in turn, describes this musk as attractive and enticing, and yes, clean.
18th September, 2017
I've been applying about .5ml during my experiment. This goes on lightly and fades quickly. What I can smell is urine. Is that what musk is? Blah.
Wore this half a day. Another reviewer mentioned he could smell it off and on throughout. I had the same impression, It would show up unexpectedly. More interesting than I thought when I first put it on. Girlfriend found it too powdery. I didn’t sense the powderyness much at all.
Longevity spotty (new classification) I smelled it on for almost 24 hours, but it was like an eye floater or a ghost, if you looked directly at it, it wasn’t there.. Projection poor
Ditto
15th July, 2017
Cannot be overrated.

Simply, in proper quantity it's a 2nd-skin type scent, so close to the skin... whether using the edt, oil, or body lotion form. I find the edt to be a bit more floral, hints of lily and rose maybe, so I keep it to just a few sprays. I find the musk favorably similar to what is in MKK or Urban Musk and not that of the 'white' laundry detergent variety.

Since 2011 I've tried to use the SOTD feature to this site as much as possible. Over perhaps an overly zealous journey, at one point having close to 500 bottles in collection, I've worn this one more than any other... by secretariat-like margins. The perfect 2nd skin when I don't particularly want to smell like cologne.
29th May, 2017
This is a great musk fragrance.

Clean, fresh, deep white musk - as it should be. Light years away from the nastiness of countless fragrances (cheap and expensive) with clinical laundry white musk bases.

Initially there's some white florals, and then comes a delightful musk-rose accord. The musk is in the foreground, the rose in the background. There's the faintest sweetness coming through courtesy of the tonka. That's more or less it, with little evolution.

Other musk fragrances it reminds me of are Clair de Musc, Musc Intense (Nicolai), and Villoresi Musk. However, for some reason the Kiehl's has a more effortless 'grab-n-go' appeal.

If you're looking for a tamed down version of Muscs Koublai Khan (one of my favourites) - this is it. There is a only the barest animalic hint - but only if one looks for it after a heavy application.

I have no issues with how it wears - close but good sillage, and excellent duration of at least six hours from a generous application.

Very good throughout the year, and simply delightful in the summers.

Very, very nice.

19th April, 2017
Zowiee Show all reviews
Excellent "comfort scent"! Pretty strong opening of citrusy notes, but dries down to a smooth orange blossom & musk fragrance. It is a nice clean and casual scent that may be too tame for some.
31st March, 2017 (last edited: 22nd May, 2017)
I have to agree with what others have said. Somewhere in the middle of those oh-so-clean laundry musks, and something a little skanky like Muscs Koublaï Khän. Much safer though, with minimal skank. Pleasant enough that it could be a work scent, but could be worn for more intimate encounters. Hard to dislike something like this, but not really very exciting either. A mild thumbs up.
21st March, 2017

Add your review of Kiehl's Original Musk

Shop for Kiehl's Original Musk products online

Search Amazon for Kiehl's Original Musk

Member images of Kiehl's Original Musk

There are no member images of Kiehl's Original Musk yet. Why not be the first?