Eau Noire Cologne (2004)

SupplierQuest International
PackagingHedi Slimane
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Eau Noire Cologne

Part of an exclusive collection of three scents [Eau Noire, Cologne Blanche and Bois D'Argent], designed by Hedi Slimane which are exclusive to Dior Homme outlets.

Eau Noire Cologne fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau Noire Cologne

Fantastic gourmand. I think it smells like gram crackers with some herbs. Price is the only thing keeping me from owning a bottle.
28th June, 2016
The first time I met Eau Noire (2004) I immediately and almost only smelt the Licorice and thought it was strange in an Eau de Cologne... it left me an impression of something very dark.

Actually when I use it on me - I bought it a few months ago - I smell the Lavender a lot +++. I don't really like Lavender, because you often smell bad quality of it, or synthetic - this latter even is a trigger for asthma attack to me!! - and it reminds me of an old man who just left the barber, or an old woman folding laundry.
In Eau Noire, the Lavender is really strong - like in an old man's Eau de Cologne - but excellent, like the one you can smell in Provence when the sun is burning your nose. It is combined with Sage, Thyme and also Curry herb. So the opening is like a French dish... so it IS very French (Iread the opposite somewhere).

Then you can smell the Vanilla and the Licorice - I don't smell very much the Cedar - and that's what stays on your skin for a few hours. It is not too sweet.
The overall scent is very masculine, quite classical and elegant. It can also remind you of pencil shavings!

The projection and the sillage are not that loud - less that what you could expect after the opening - and the scent remains on your skin for a few hours.

Despite all the components, Eau Noire is really comfortable to wear and is a good friend.
18th June, 2016 (last edited: 26th June, 2016)
One of the more lauded (and now discontinued) fragrances in the Christian Dior Privee line, Eau Noire is a dark, spicy entry that reminds me mainly of spiced gingerbread cookies. It strikes me as a distinctly cold weather scent, as I imagine this could be off-putting in the summer.

The licorice factors in strongly for me, which is why although unique, Eau Noire is a little off-putting. Despite the licorice, a pleasant combination of sage, cedar, and coffee compromise the rest of the experience for me. All in, a very nice winter fragrance that reminds me of the holidays. Also, the juice is strong, with robust projection and good longevity for a higher-end EDP.

Unlike Mitzah, I highly doubt it is worth the discontinued costs, but I'd be curious to sample it some more.

7 out of 10
05th April, 2016
In my review for Goutal's Sables (1985), I made note of the fenugreek scent of immortelle, which is copied here, as a unique addition to the world of gourmand scents. I gave it a thumbs up, despite not wanting to smell like I had just emerged from creating a curry in my kitchen.

In Dior's Eau Noire created 19 years later, we get the same immortelle center, this time layered with lavender, vanilla and cedar. This time it is sweeter than Sables' use, with a decided maple syrup and celery seed combo. Now one can smell like either a curry or French toast. The choice is ours.

I love both gourmand scents, but I still don't care to smell like them. A neutral rating due to lack of originality. It's decent if you love Indian spices. Of the two I prefer the original Sables.

09th December, 2015
Gourmand (first thought that came to mind was New Haarlem), coffee and a nice lavender note mixed with some vanilla and cedar. Get a nice hit of licorice in there also. More suited for cooler weather. Own a nice sized decant which should hold me down for quite a while. 7.5/10
13th March, 2015 (last edited: 24th December, 2015)
A very interesting scent, and also a very, very sweet scent. The immortelle-anis combo has potential, but the sweet facets of the immortelle combine with the vanilla for a Maple Syrup Pancake Breakfast impression.

Points for uniqueness, but I can't wear it.
15th September, 2014

Add your review of Eau Noire Cologne

Shop for Eau Noire Cologne products online

Search Amazon for Eau Noire Cologne

Member images of Eau Noire Cologne

There are no member images of Eau Noire Cologne yet. Why not be the first?