Bois d'Argent (2004)

PerfumerFrançois Demachy
PackagingHedi Slimane
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Bois d'Argent

Originally part of a collection of three scents in the Dior Homme Cologne range [Eau Noire, Cologne Blanche and Bois D'Argent], designed by Hedi Slimane. Now part of Dior's Collection Privée.

Bois d'Argent fragrance notes

Reviews of Bois d'Argent

Sweet and powdery. Reminds me of Midnight in Paris, maybe more natural, not as loud, so if you like that one, try this. I agree that a confident man can pull this off but it's almost feminine, do sample before buying! Smells really good, I'm enjoying this and it seems to project pretty well off me. Could be very sexy and alluring to a certain nose, hopefully I'm right.
02nd August, 2016
Aptly named, Bois d’Argent is a creamy, smoky woods scent with a streak of silvery iris running through it. The iris is here only to cut through the heaviness of the other notes – a piece of levain mixed into a heavy bread dough – so most of its lovely grey rootiness or butter tones are lost in the fray. However, without the soulful lift of the iris note, I think this composition would be a heavy, sodden mess – a dense genoise rather than angel food.

Bois d’Argent is primarily a sticky myrrh scent to my nose. Myrrh is a tricky material to work with in a perfume. Myrrh oil can be very bitter, mushroomy, and “black” in its favor profile, although I suspect that the perfumers went more for the myrrh resin smell here, which is smokier, woodier, and sweeter.

Here, as in other similar fragrances such as Bois d’Iris (The Different Company) and Myrrhe Ardente (Annick Goutal), the myrrh is paired with a sweet honey and vanilla to tone down the bitterness of the oil, and a smoky, resinous woods base to play up the resinous, smoky notes of the resin itself. There is also a faintly licorice-like note here, a note that is frequently matched to the anisic qualities of myrrh oil.

There is a sticky, “crunchy” texture to this fragrance that I also note in Myrrhe Ardente, like crunching on honey candies, the small ones you sometimes get with coffee in Italian bars – they look and taste sweetly creamy, but shatter into shards when you crush them in your teeth. And as with the candies in question, there is a tendency to cloy.

For this reason, I find Bois d’Argent striking but eventually exhausting to wear. The silvery iris and woods opening is beautiful, but the sweet vanilla in the base is far too syrupy, and the myrrh just continues droning on in its monologue for hours and hours. I can say practically the same thing for Bois d’Iris and Myrrhe Ardente. There are times when these fragrances work on me, but something in them eventually cloys and wears down not only my nose but my spirits too.
18th April, 2016
I originally sniffed this fragrance in 2013 but was not impressed at all!! There was no way that I was going to shell out $210 for Johnsons baby powder!

Fast forward: it is now 2016 and I decided to revisit this scent due to all the positive feedback on various blogs. I am so glad I did! This is a nice scent that garners tons of compliments. its only powdery in the opening and changes to a soft honey mix during the dry down. I really like it and this will be in my rotation this spring and summer!
27th March, 2016
Finally got around to formally trying Bois d'Argent and it's an interesting experience, like most of the Christian Dior Prive line. It's mainly a woody/powdery mix, though I get a vetiver, which I simply might mistaking in place of the cypress or other listed woody notes. In that respect, I liken it to a powdery cousin of Chanel Sycomore, but less woody.

Some have discussed the sweetness, but I don't specifically get honey or any other sweet vibes. I do get the resins and leather somewhat, to add some depth to the powdery iris and woody mix that dominates the fragrances. Some regard this as unique, but the elements of this still ring oddly familiar.

Not impressive on projection or longevity, this doesn't perform as well as some of the other Prive line fragrances that I've casually tried on skin, but usage-wise, Bois d'Argent strikes me as a year-round day fragrance that's relatively pleasant and unoffensive, so it not being a projection monster isn't a significant fault. Overall, a nice fragrance but one I'd say you'd need to love to buy as there are certainly relatively comparable woody fragrances out there.

7 out of 10
20th February, 2016
revtil Show all reviews
Bois D’Argent is a very strange and unique fragrance, but difficult for me to describe. In the initial blast I get a green floral that seems almost compressed on the skin. These top notes don’t last long and at first your nose may not pick up any scent at all. Give it a few minutes though and a very warm amber starts to come out, jump starting the middle and base notes. This is when Bois D’Argent starts to really shine. The scent starts to open up with a complex blend of honey, leather, Myrhh, and delicate vanilla. It’s unlike anything I have smelled before and has such a comforting feel to it, almost ethereal and cloud-like. My best description is homemade ice-cream, mixed in with hay and wood shavings, drizzled with honey and burnt sugar. I get a lot of compliments on this one, and many of the people can’t describe what they smell. I see a lot of comments mentioning BDA not lasting long, but I disagree – It floats around like a cloud for hours on my skin, giving me sudden whiffs and morphing throughout the day. Amazing.
01st December, 2015
Forget about performance, the smell of this is just not to my liking. Based on the notes and the house, I would expect to like it more. The earthy aspect of this one doesn't work for me.
16th May, 2015

Add your review of Bois d'Argent

Shop for Bois d'Argent products online

Search Amazon for Bois d'Argent

Member images of Bois d'Argent

There are no member images of Bois d'Argent yet. Why not be the first?