Daim Blond (2004)

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Daim Blond

Daim Blond is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Daim Blond fragrance notes

Reviews of Daim Blond

I enjoy Hawthorn as a note. Here with cardamom, it has a slight but fleeting gasoline-mist accord. I find that fascinating and beautiful. Iris and suede, I smell next. There's a slight fruity, almost creamy feel. Musk begins to pervade.

I find Daim Blond to be soothing and delicate. It has a different take on iris and leather, that I've not experienced before. It is evocative for me. Inspiring. The suede-leather lasts and lasts.
03rd April, 2019
Ostensibly, this is a mix of ionones (violets over suede) and iris, but there's so much else happening here that it feels unfair to lump it in with the rest of that genre.

Sniffed up close on skin, the smell is puzzling but captivating, a mix of fresh laundry, kheer (the Indian rice pudding flavored with cardamom), and vague fruity tea. There's something in there that combines all of these disparate elements and makes them all smell like some sort of alcoholic beverage, perhaps a yeasty French champagne or the fermenting rice smell of a sake factory. I know this all sounds strange, but it all has the smooth texture of musky suede, so it works.

But then there's the sillage, a gorgeous cloud of violets, plum, and sandalwood that's kind of like Feminite du Bois reimagined as an aperitif, which hovers nicely but that doesn't register when smelled up close (I think this may be why so many people write this off as "weak").

The drydown is the suede and iris you'd expect from something like this, but deepened with that greasepaint makeup smell you get from the drydown of peach aldehydes, as well as a pinch of Serge's signature honeyed base.

This is quite good, and I'll echo the other reviewers who suggest picking this up while it's cheap and plentiful. It may be a bit weird for a blind buy, but if you're a confident fan of iris/suede perfumes, this is definitely one of the more interesting ones.
24th January, 2019
Portrait of Lunia Czechowska by Amedeo Modigliani 1919
16th October, 2017
A beautiful fragrance that is very wearable. So light, but with enough body to transport your positive emotions on it's soft, sweet, suede wafts of powder. I'm not a lover of powdery scents, but Daim Blonde isn't just a powdery scent, it has it's own understated but desirable quality that speaks for itself. I've only worn it once, but I already love it. Another bottle worthy Lutens to be sure.
23rd April, 2017
Lutens is responsible for the best iris suede on the market, his Iris Silver Mist. Daim Blond (Golden Suede) is a much quieter take on this suede note. More center stage is the dried apricot/peach vibe with the suede quietly in the back ground.

It is one of the lightest of the Lutens scents (at this point I have reviewed exactly half of the 62 listed on Basenotes), almost undetectable on my skin despite many applications. I find it to be too subtle for my enjoyment. Had the oils been denser, I might have enjoyed this more.

As it is, it is a pleasant light peach/apricot suede, neither bad nor outstanding.
12th May, 2016
This delicate little number is kind of a strange one, from a house that has produced so many enchanted woods and flying carpets. But magic comes in many forms. Here we have an ethereal blend featuring iris and (I think) osmanthus, given weight in its concentration--the formula Lutens produced for this has more oil than a typical EdP, which adds an extra sense of luxury to the blend. It feels great on your skin, somehow as rich and soft as the scent it produces.

The pencil shavings and dust other reviewers mention are lost on me, as is the musk--guess I'm anosmic to this one. I get sweet iris here, and apricot, especially on my pulse points. This one wears very close to the skin, so it's a private pleasure at best, something I indulge in when I need a reminder that I really only wear perfume for myself.

Edit: As I wear this, I detect the musk mostly my sense of this perfume's texture. It seems to stay moist long after it dries. The iris also seems sweeter than it usually would--possibly amplified by the musk.

Second Edit: Years later, I'm still learning things about this seemingly obvious little number. I don't find powder here in the usual sense of billowing talcum mirages; rather, it's the gradual soft-focus diffusion of fruit and suede and just a hint of melancholy heliotrope--in other words, a spell cast by orris butter, which gives you the sensation of smelling an exquisite dust made from all the perfume's elements as it dries down on your skin.

I also find myself thinking, again, that if you long to smell the thousand-dollar unicorn that is now Iris Gris (clearly not made for the sad likes of me) but probably can't/won't/etc., isn't Daim Blond more than an adequate consolation? It may not have lept out of the Lutens lineup back in the day, especially next to Iris Silver Mist; but, now that ISM has seens reformulation, and especially now that 2943430437439420 other niche houses have tried and mostly failed at doing an iris scent that comes anywhere close to Daim Blond, I think it's time the Daim Blond got its due. This stuff is magnificent, fine for anyone of any gender (Aventus is sweeter than Daim Blond, if you're worried about something as silly as that); and--trust me--you will miss it when it's gone. Someday, DB is gonna be what Iris Gris is now--a Grail if there ever was one. Snap it up while it's still half the price of most mainstream designer nonsense. I'll take yours if (for some reason) you still don't like it.
17th April, 2016 (last edited: 30th June, 2018)

Add your review of Daim Blond