Average Rating: 4

Based on 464 ratings

Daim Blond Fragrance Notes

Daim Blond information

Daim Blond is a unisex fragrance by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido. The scent was launched in 2004

Shop for Daim Blond products online

$138.84*
    50ml EdP
    (*converted from GBP 83.00)

Reviews of Daim Blond

Showing 1 to 6 of 71 reviews.

maxall's avatar

A humble bag of dried apricots, after many years on the top shelf in the back corner of your local Mediterranean grocery, decides that it's had enough, and leaps head-first, toward the cold concrete floor below. The ground's surface, dust and cat hair, for the most part, lifts, shifts and quickly sits down, making sufficient space for the fruit. A 33 year-old woman enters the grocery, cackling loudly into her flip-mobile. Her eyes have fallen victim to a crust of cheap mascara. Shards of black fall down onto the yellow grease that so valiantly tries to conceal the blue-jay colored cocoons on which it has been spread. The young boy at the register opens his mouth to greet this beast as she stomps by. Each foot, like a jarred ham-hock swathed in a cheap, hairy synthetic suede shoe, hits the ground with such reckless force that its sensible, yet weary heels bow outward, sliding across the dusty floor. Cursing into her telephone, she struggles to stand back up. The black pleather that covers her behind is now smothered in the remains of the apricots that were once on the top shelf. The young boy at the register laughs as she rushes out of the store. Daim Blond.

04 October, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

Like every other Serge Lutens scent that I've tried on, Daim Blond is rich, luxurious and brilliantly conceived. Unlike some of the others it is also relatively understated and soft-spoken. It’s central feature is a gentle suede and osmanthus accord that suggests both a fine lady’s glove and a bowl of dried apricots. Its structure places Daim Blond beside such fruity leathers as Armani’s Cuir Améthyste and Parfum d’Empire’s Cuir Ottoman, among which it is the smoothest and most delicately balanced. My only real complaint is that, like many others in the Lutens line, it ends off with a drydown sweet enough to be oppressive. A little less syrup and I’d have liked it that much better.

12 June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Perfumes do have a really powerful and strong "madeleine" function. I smelled this 7 or 8 years ago for the first time, loved it, wrote the name down to buy it one day. Never bought it and never smelled it again for years. Now I received a sample today, sprayed it on my wrist, and I felt instantly thrown in the perfume shop I used to visit to try scents back then. I even recall the shape, the feeling, the logo of the mouillette I took home with me. A great, cozy, elegant scent I love so bad: fruity, soft, musky, powdery and flowery leather at its best. Short projection and light sillage (as most of Lutens scents on my skin).

13 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 30th April, 2014)

rbaker's avatar

Very light leather floral.

The hawthorn, apricot and iris make a nice opening, whilst the base develops a very light musk. The leather is very light and bright on my skin, sort of a leather for people who don't like a stronger version. Pleasant, not unoriginal, two hours longevity.

02 July, 2013

voodoodanny's avatar

Lutens + Sheldrake... a pairing that I would have assumed could do no wrong, and I suppose there's nothing 'wrong' with this scent: indeed, I can tell it's well crafted using highest quality ingredients. It boasts complexity and elegance and really showcases the suede note fantastically. So well, in fact, that it was this fragrance that finally caused me to realise that I don't like leather notes as much as I thought I did.

As great as I somehow know this fragrance is, it's just not for me. Sidethumb.

26 February, 2013

jtd's avatar

Daim blond

I love leather perfumes, but apparently don't understand the leather note. The 'leather' note in perfumery doesn't have any relationship to leather for me. Not in Bandit. Not in Rien. Not in Knize Ten. I understand the components, the aromachemicals used in leather perfumes. I even understand the taxonomy and historical role of leather scents in perfumery. It's just that 'leather'doesn't smell like leather to me. Do you think 'leather'at the start of the 20th century was just the 'aquatic' of the end of the century? Was it just marketing to the aromachemicals that that were coming into play at the time?

Given this blind spot in my nose, the perfume that differentiates suede from leather should leave me confused. But I love Daim Blond. It is distinguished and identifiable, but swings through my mind triggering all sorts of associations. A less jammy Robert Piguet Visa (contemporary version.) Sharp and cold like Chanel 19. Powdery-fine like PG Cuir d'Iris. It also fits perfectly into the Lutens line. What Bois de Violette does to its predecessor Feminite du Bois, Daim Blond does to Arabie. Less dense, more crystalline, higher-pitched.

So I forget leather and remember the chilled, sweet cardamom dessert broth my boyfriend and I used to love at a favorite restaurant 20 years ago. Daim Blond's cold, precise spiciness keeps the fruitiness on a short leash. It balances sharpness and powdery sweetness through drydown.

25 January, 2013