Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 74 ratings

Bois et Fruits information

Bois et Fruits is a unisex fragrance by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido.

Shop for Bois et Fruits products online

Reviews of Bois et Fruits

Showing 1 to 6 of 14 reviews.

jtd's avatar

The truth of Bois et Fruits, and the other spin-offs of Féminité du Bois as well, is hidden in plain sight in their names.  Bois de/et (insert note). Variation, exploration, overdosage. The truth of the matter is, they are flankers.  The upside is that they demonstrate that a flanker isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The first thing a flanker must do is to prove that it's different enough from the original to have a name of its own, and Bois et Fruits does.  The name also implies that the fruit hasn't fallen far from the tree.  If you expect a juicier more flavorful richer perfume than Féminité du Bois, think again.  Bois et Fruit IS fruitier than Féminité du Bois, but it is also darker and dryer. Despite the added plums, Bois et Fruit less overtly flavorful than Féminité du Bois. For want of a better word, Bois et Fruit is dusty. But the dustiness is very appealing. The connection between the fruit and the wood is quite different than you find it in Féminité du Bois. Féminité du Bois is know for its singing quality, its radiance. It sings in the key of Iso E, but it does so beautifully. Bois et Fruit doesn't have its predecessors angelic radiance and is all the better for it. It plays closer to the skin, taking advantage of its relative opacity and matte finish.

This perfume highlights a point I find in Lutens's other perfumes.   Perfumer Christopher Sheldrake seems to make distinctions in tone with the fruit, not the wood.  To look at Féminité du Bois, Bois de Violette and Arabie, the woody tone among the three is quite similar. But in Féminité du Bois the fruit is boozy. In Bois de Violette it is crystalized. In Arabie it is stewed. In Bois et Fruits the fruit is dried and preserved, somehow suggesting a stillness and a poise that the others don’t have. The experience is less taxing, and you’ll find Fruits less likely to wear you than any of the above.

Bois et Fruits is similar to Féminité du Bois and Bois de Violette. (I’ve never smelled Bois et Muscs or Bois Oriental, the other Féminité du Bois spin-offs.)  Still, the differences are worth noting.  The dryness and the darkness make for a less lingering perfume than Féminité du Bois. I could much more easily wear Bois et Fruits every day. After smelling Bois et Fruits, wearing FbB makes me feel like my ears are ringing.   Féminité du Bois's famous radiance often makes it feel like it's creeping up on you every time you turn around. Bois et Fruit is quieter but deeper and ultimately more subtle than Féminité du Bois.

19th June, 2014

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Woody Fruit Spice

Oh sigh... Bois et Fruits. A gorgeous oriental offering of lush and sweet fruits laid on a carved wooden dish plated in gold. Plummy, jammy ,rich , slightly opaque in smell and the distinctive Lutens cedar accord running through it. Yes, much resemblance to Feminite du Bois and Dolce Vita by Dior . FdB is less sweet and of course the Dior is now very much watered down .
    Reminds me of Mitsouko ( peachy plummy fruitiness of the Parfum de Toilette now discontinued ) so I must have some.

Pros: Beautiful
    Cons: Price"

15th August, 2013

Justin Case's avatar

This is fruity incense - the kind you can find easily and cheaply in many traditional markets in the Middle East and Southeast Asia, only here it's packaged with the name Serge Lutens and sold to you for an extravagant amount of money. A little aggravating to me, to be honest.

And if you were looking for a fig perfume, I could not detect any fig here at all.

21st April, 2013

cello's avatar

Bois et Fruits certainly bears resemblance to Mother Bois, Feminite du Bois - mostly in the familiar cedar note blend. But where I find FdB's plum note to be over ripe but juicy, the fruits in Bois et Fruits seem dusty and dry, flat and stale. This is certainly not a knock on this fragrance, but it did not meet my expectations, and I would not enjoy wearing this dry, muddled fruit over a pleasant cedar note on too many days.

13th February, 2012

blackened's avatar

Spain Spain

A gorgeous fruity oriental that oozes seduction and a sort of sweet sumptuousness.
    The fruity accords here don´t err on the naive side but rather it provides a bright and vibrant touch to the composition, varnishing the aroma of a layer of Orientalist luxury.
    On the other hand , emerging from the heart, the aromatic notes of cedar wood provide the counterpoint to the kind sweetness of peach, apricot and plum trio.
    big thumbs up for this delicious combination of Orientalist fruit.

21st December, 2011

Doctor Mod's avatar

I was quite excited a few months ago when I read that many of the Serge Lutens "bell jar" fragrances were going to offered in the US for a limited time in the standard Lutens containers. Unfortunately, the one that I'd most like to purchase, Bois Oriental, isn't one of them. So I tried what I thought would be the next best thing: Bois et Fruits, which has left me feeling quite underwhelmed.

I have now tested it several times, hoping for some breakthrough, perhaps, but the results are always the same: a nice but less than energetic cedar base and some strange substance that doesn't come off as fruity to my nose--unless the fruit is of the wax variety.

Actually, Bois et Fruits reminds me very much of the original Shisedo Feminité du Bois, about which I feel much the same as I do about this fragrance. Beeswax was among the listed notes for the vintage Feminité, and I'm quite sure that was what I found so off-putting about it. It isn't listed for Bois et Fruits, but I smell something waxy that is neither fresh nor (to my mind) attractive. The sillage is decent if less than spectacular while it lasts--and it only lasted for about an hour, perhaps two, in my tests.

I appreciate and respect the reviewers who have drastically different perceptions of this scent, but that isn't how it works on my skin. I really did want to like this one, but Arabie and Ambre Sultan fill this niche much better for me.

12th September, 2010