Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka (2004)
    by Hermès

Reviews of Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka

Showing 1 to 6 of 53 reviews.

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

very dry vetiver and tonka to take the dry edge off, a rifened vetiver....Encre Noir rich uncle!

21st March, 2014

Kain's avatar
    Kain
    Iran Iran

A very different type of vetiver based fragrance or actually I prefer calling it a fragrance with vetiver in it!
    If you're looking for a vetiver dominated fragrance go somewhere else because you can't find it here!
    The opening is warm and sweet tonka bean scent with slight dirty and smoky aroma.
    That dirty and smoky smell definitely is not from vetiver. it's from tobacco but it doesn't smell like a strong tobacco note either! it's there to give the scent just a smoky and dirty feeling!
    The sweetness is strong with caramel smell in it.
    In the dry down that dirty smoky smell almost faded away completely and now you can smell vetiver note beside that sweet tonka bean caramely smell.
    The vetiver note does not have that wild and earthy smell.
    It's there and you can smell it but because of the strong tonka and caramel combo it's muted!
    In the base you have the mid smell with slight changes.
    You can smell some soapy aroma too. not too much but it's there and I can feel it.
    Projection is above average but longevity is average to poor on my skin.
    It's very simple and linear and it doesn't worth the price in my opinion.
    I'm happy with my sample because it's something new to my nose but when I'm done with my sample, I will forget it easily.

16 February, 2014

Dane77's avatar
    Dane77
    Denmark Denmark

Juxtaposing spicy-sweet tonka bean, hazelnut and caramel with salty vetiver and traces of dried tobacco, Vétiver Tonka is above everything else a very successful fragrance experiment. Unlike many other Hermès releases by Jean-Claude Ellena, Vétiver Tonka is full-bodied and substantial, representing the most worthwhile example of the overall compositional theme of the Hermèssence range, namely that of “meetings” between otherwise seldomly mixed principal ingredients. This theme shines brighter and more directly in Vétiver Tonka than in most of its Hermèssence peers.
    Gently rounded with syrup, caramel, and notes of hazelnut and almonds, a veritable blast of the vanilla-like sweetness of tonka beans dominates the opening phase. Then, slowly, the spicy-nutty sweetness recedes to form the background for a long and gorgeous vetiver-centered drydown. The vetiver here is one of the most rewarding interpretations of the note I have come across - rooty, sharp, salty, vivacious - and masterfully set off by the civilizing function of the spicy-sweet elements. This fascinating integration of contrasts and oppositions gives Vétiver Tonka real character and intriguing edge. Vétiver Tonka is a truly unique and very enjoyable fragrance.

12 January, 2014

Happyguy's avatar
    Happyguy

Like a vanilla milkshake

I sprayed on and was instantly transported to a nostalgic place.

Not quite a milkshake but something about the vanilla and creamy scents remind me of a milkshake.

The vanilla (or tonka) is present without being too sweet or overwhelming. All in all a nicely balanced scent. Unfortunately it seems to have very brief longevity on my skin.

I would wear this as a change of pace from my more citrus-centric scents.

But in general I probably wouldn't wear it often enough to justify buying a bottle.

Pros: A friendly, almost familiar smell
    Cons: Not really vetiver; Longevity a bit brief"

10th August, 2013

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

A Strange Take On Vetiver

This smells very strange to me in that the vetiver note is coupled with Tonka, tobacco and other sweet notes.

I get a slightly creamy & sweet nutty aroma that projects off my skin mixed in with the vetiver note whilst wearing this scent. There is a slight sour note that I'm picking up and the fragrance smells like nail polish remover to me that has been sweetened.

I'm not really liking this scent the vetiver and Tonka sweet notes just do not seem to go together naturally. Projection and longevity are just average on my skin.

Pros: A Friendly but strange Introduction To Vetiver
    Cons: Vetiver Purists May Not Like The Nutty Sour/ Sweetness

03 June, 2013

Card Board's avatar
    Card Board
    Germany Germany

I am surprised that no one has yet described the opening (really, the first few hours) as soapy. The dirty/clean juxtaposition of the opening is intriguing. The fragrance warms up to a more robust slightly smoky and sweet variation on the same, and in warming up, the presence of the whole notably increases (the first 20 minutes or so were on the quiet side). I also begin to sense the fresh cut grass and hay that others have mentioned, as well as hints of an ungraspable floral. Surely the tonka is doing something in this mix--sweetening, lifting certain elements, grounding others, perhaps--but I can’t say I get much of a tonka or hazelnut note, per se.

I understand this was developed as a tender, warm vetiver. Perhaps it is, compared to something like Encre Noire, Sycomore, or Guerlain Vetiver. Vetiver Tonka is more bright green and round, and less smoky than the aforementioned, but it is a stretch to term it "tender" or "warm" on its own merits. It is, however, a very good vetiver, more cheerful and buoyant than the aforementioned, and more complex than one might think. It is certainly different enough from the aforementioned to make it a worthwhile addition to a vetiver-heavy collection. On another note, as much as I love vetiver, it can sometimes turn my stomach in the first few minutes after application. Thankfully, Vetiver Tonka doesn’t do that to me.

Longevity is better than average; projection and silage, too.

19 March, 2013