Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé (2004)
by Hermès

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé information

Year of Launch2004

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena

About Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé

Jean-Claude Ellena:

Amber, the Western expression of Eastern fragrances, has a warm, sensual, enveloping, almost carnal smell. I wanted to imbue this idea of amber with the memory of the East I love by recreating the ambiance of those lively places where tobacco – blended with the smells of fruit, honey and spices – is smoked in narguilés, or water pipes, and where swirls of smoke diffuse a sweet sense of intoxication.

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé fragrance notes

Reviews of Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé

Ambre Narguilé is by far the most talked about perfume from Hermes' higher-end line and is frequently described as an “apple pie in a bottle”. I personally don't fully agree with that popular description. While I can easily get where that comparison comes from, it'd be much more like a raisin (and maybe prunes too) pie to my nose. A warm, almost burnt/lightly smoky one that was taken out of the oven just in time. One with a lot of spices, like an overdose of cinnamon and with honey and a touch of rum.

But at the same time its name “Narguilé”, or “Hookah” in English which is a pipe of eastern origin to smoke tobacco (And some other "stuff"), is aptly chosen as it does have an aura around the spicy dessert of dry but a little damp and even slightly medicinal tobacco. It plays a big factor in the sense that it counterbalances very well the dense amber-y, bakery like part and prevents the scent from being too sweet to me. I'd say it also gives it a classier and more grown-up aspect.

The result is a fragrance that is right at the crossroad between being a gourmand and a spicy oriental. And being from Hermes, it's made with great ingredients as usual.

It's easy to me to recognize its appeal and wearable originality. At first I liked it, now it's a strong love. In conclusion, it's totally deserving of the love it gets.
11th November, 2017
Spicy, burnt-sugary sweet amber. Thought I was getting some boozy aspects as well, but I think that's the tobacco now.

I kept thinking cinnamon while wearing but that must just be the spices and maybe the honey by association.

Projection is good and longevity is excellent, lasts all day and seems to be quite linear from start to finish.
07th September, 2017
Very nice apple pie scent. it is great for fall and the colder months. It is inspired by hookah smoke, and when you get the mindset to smell the hookah then you really can appreciate the artistic touch behind this scent. JCE is a living legend and some will only realize this years from now. I was between this and buying Poivre in Paris. The ladies at Hermes kept telling me how "sexy" it smells on a man so I decided to get it, to be the ultimate reminder of my trip to Paris!
25th April, 2017
I decided to buy a full bottle just after spraying it once.

The opening is fruity and spicy. The amber and honey arrive very fast, followed by tobacco, cinnamon and apple. Every note is distinguishable, and mix up together beautifully. An addictive favorite. Try it.
13th April, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening serves the amber striaght up fromtnon my skin, a warm amber, laced with flavoured tobacco. This tobacco is soft and fruity, as if indeed stemming from the vapour of a water pipe. For a change, here the name describes the fragrance accurately.

Soon the drydown grows more complex: fruity tones, mainly gently spiced fried apple, mix with a honeyed almond, and cinnamon is added in too. The tobacco grows weaker with time.

Towards the base the fruity components grow weaker, as does the amber, and what remains is the almond-cinnamon gourmand side, still rich and lovely, and gradually waning.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and a great longevity of twelve hours.

This autumnal delight starts off emphasising the title notes, but with time morphs into a delicious gourmand too. Nothing extraordinary, but not without original twists, performing very well and based on good workmanship. 3.5/5.
09th January, 2017
a sweet, transparent, spicy gourmand.

ambre narguile is an amazing fragrance. i get honey, cinnamon, booze, gentle smokiness, tobacco and vanilla. it does remind me of warm apple pies. the smell is warm and transparent. never too thick or harsh even though it has honey. one of my all time favorites. gets compliments and performs very well.

9.0/10