Timbuktu (2004)

PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Timbuktu

Timbuktu is a shared / unisex perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

Timbuktu fragrance notes

Reviews of Timbuktu

I had high hopes for this one. Reading others' reviews and the note breakdown, it sounded like an inventive, challenging unisex that I would bathe in. I was disappointed even after three wears.
More than one spritz of this would act like human repellant- and, due to the high sweetness, fly attractant.
Aside from some pink pepper and a sort of generic fruity accord, all I get is an overbearing, old fashioned, sweet incense that somehow reminds me of old lady bingo parlor perfume.
I suppose my nose isn't yet refined enough to pick apart the notes in something so heavy. I'm going to keep the sample around and check in with it occasionally in the hopes that I am one day able to enjoy it.
05th March, 2017
There is some citrus in the beginning but after that, it's all incense, creating a dated, mature smell that I'm not ready for yet. Very good projection. Seems more formal than casual.
27th January, 2017
Soapy, smoky, woody, sweet, and vegetal...all at the same time. Best worn casually (i.e., hemp, linen, denim, etc...), during one's leisure time, as I'm not convinced Timbuktu is a great choice for office wear (unless you work abroad as a Swahili professor, or for the womens' liberation foundation..whatever...).
Not just sexy, Timbuktu smells OF sex.
This is about as unisex/gender-nonspecific as they come.
Classic.
09th September, 2016
This has an incredible soaring quality and is the prettiest vetiver I have found (although totally unisex), as it uses the floral and fruity notes to take the edge off the raw coldness that vetiver often has. It remains a cool, collected scent, and it makes me feel all-conquering, so should possibly be worn with care.

I don't think to wear it a lot but I am always glad when I have it on, plus it practically makes my husband salivate - which shows that men aren't all Pavlovian creatures programmed to go wild at the scent of synthetic vanilla...

Anyway, it is a beautiful fragrance - both shimmering and brooding, soft and austere. The sillage and longevity are both excellent.
17th August, 2016
It's possible that my bottle is a recent reformulation (or that it has gone off), because I don't recognize many of the woody, spicy, incense and berry notes for which this fragrance is known. I mainly get citrus that lasts throughout the dry-down, and its overall development seems linear and - while pretty - not particularly interesting. I don't detect the sweetness that many reviewers mention, though I do appreciate Timbuktu's transparency and shimmering quality. It's just not a go-to fragrance for me.
03rd April, 2016
This perfume smells mainly like a cross between a wood working shop and slightly sweet-medicinal/Eucalyptus notes. Some of you might think that sounds awful, but it's actually a very nice and pleasant smelling scent!
Initially, when I first sprayed it on (unlike Turin), I actually thought that it seemed far too heavily masculine to be categorized as a "nice scent" for a woman to wear! I could smell it like crazy as well, so my initial reaction wasn't altogether positive!
Not very long after spraying it though, this perfume actually settles down a lot! As Turin says, it actually does remain mostly a skin scent. There isn't a lot of sillage or projection from this one, and all the notes that it does project are quite soft and subtle. I find that there actually is enough sweetness in the notes (that it projects) that I actually do enjoy wearing it as well. However, it isn't so sweet that a guy wouldn't like it. I think that "Timbuktu" actually is a really nice fragrance that both a man and a woman could share. That said, I also think that the women who would enjoy this one the most are probably also the same ones who are fans of "Ormonde Woman" by Ormonde Jayne, or that style of fragrance anyway. This fragrance actually reminds me of "Ormonde Woman" quite a bit actually, although I think I like "Timbuktu" more.
So, yes, this is a very nice, pleasant woody, unisex scent, and if you are a fan of perfumes with wood notes at all, and you haven't tried this one yet, I do highly recommend it! You should be able to try it at your local Sephora, or, you can order a sample. I do highly recommend it, I don't think you'll be disappointed! :)
17th December, 2015

Add your review of Timbuktu

Shop for Timbuktu products online

Shop for Timbuktu at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Timbuktu

Member images of Timbuktu

There are no member images of Timbuktu yet. Why not be the first?