Timbuktu (2004)

PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Timbuktu

Timbuktu is a shared / unisex perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

Timbuktu fragrance notes

Reviews of Timbuktu

This perfume smells mainly like a cross between a wood working shop and slightly sweet-medicinal/Eucalyptus notes. Some of you might think that sounds awful, but it's actually a very nice and pleasant smelling scent!
Initially, when I first sprayed it on (unlike Turin), I actually thought that it seemed far too heavily masculine to be categorized as a "nice scent" for a woman to wear! I could smell it like crazy as well, so my initial reaction wasn't altogether positive!
Not very long after spraying it though, this perfume actually settles down a lot! As Turin says, it actually does remain mostly a skin scent. There isn't a lot of sillage or projection from this one, and all the notes that it does project are quite soft and subtle. I find that there actually is enough sweetness in the notes (that it projects) that I actually do enjoy wearing it as well. However, it isn't so sweet that a guy wouldn't like it. I think that "Timbuktu" actually is a really nice fragrance that both a man and a woman could share. That said, I also think that the women who would enjoy this one the most are probably also the same ones who are fans of "Ormonde Woman" by Ormonde Jayne, or that style of fragrance anyway. This fragrance actually reminds me of "Ormonde Woman" quite a bit actually, although I think I like "Timbuktu" more.
So, yes, this is a very nice, pleasant woody, unisex scent, and if you are a fan of perfumes with wood notes at all, and you haven't tried this one yet, I do highly recommend it! You should be able to try it at your local Sephora, or, you can order a sample. I do highly recommend it, I don't think you'll be disappointed! :)
17th December, 2015
Timbuktu is not a scent for me. I sampled it a day after sampling Dzonkha, and although the fragrances share some similarities, Dzonkha is much more masculine and exotic with it's spice, incense and vetiver. Timbuktu strays to hard to the feminine side with it's mango, berries and floral for my liking. I ended up scrubbing it off at the two hour mark, as I found it decidedly feminine. The mango note and prominent floral notes are just too sickly sweet for my taste, but I can understand where some younger men might like the scent. Not for me and a decided Thumbs Down.
04th December, 2015
Just received L'artisan Timbuktu. Timbuktu's newest version might be different than the previous release (depending on formulation portions) since I get more pepper than the floral many have mentioned. Timbuktu in the beginning has this strong aggressive opening of pepper and spices, but calms to a more soft peppery incense fragrance after the initial spray. As others pointed out mango, I didn't nor am I getting any mango fruitiness in this fragrance and maybe I need to wear this a bit more in order to recognize that. Timbuktu is a wonderful unisex fragrance that if used appropriately will garner pleasant compliments and more. I am really enjoying this fragrance; after a shower, I put a small portion on and today I still get whiffs of this great fragrance. Having used dibs, both sillage and projection seems to be amazing without having sprayed fully. Those who have this and Blackwalnut (BR) may see similarities even Valbonne (MB) has that peppery vibe that is alluring and inviting. Overall, Timbuktu is a knockout....enjoy!
21st November, 2015
It is not wrong to classify Tumbuktu as a fruity (mango?), incensy vetiver but this would not do it justice. Timbuktu at the same time allows the individual notes as well as the magical sum of its parts to shine through.

I agree with Classicfan that there is a matte quality about it which reminds of nostalgic old charming places... But it's not dated and more of a warm cosy scent memory.

Timbuktu shares some facets with Olfactive Studio's Chambre Noir and Dzongkha, but I clearly love Timbuktu more than these 2.
06th July, 2015
This has definitely changed over the years. I think I actually prefer its current formulation though.

Vetiver is now the star of the Timbuktu show. The vinegary quality that was once prominent to my nose has diminished, as has the incense.

Still beautiful, but still not for me.
07th April, 2015
@the_good_life - Maybe you have the newer version? I found the vetiver to be too strong in the new one. The old formula is the bottle with the clove leaf or whatever symbol that is and it smells sublime! Unfortunately my bottle broke because I was so in love with it and all there is now is the newer versions and I can't find the older one anywhere! :'(
02nd March, 2015

Add your review of Timbuktu

Shop for Timbuktu products online

Shop for Timbuktu at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Timbuktu

Member images of Timbuktu

There are no member images of Timbuktu yet. Why not be the first?