Timbuktu (2004)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 539 ratings

Timbuktu Fragrance Notes

Timbuktu information

Timbuktu is a unisex fragrance by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 2004

Shop for Timbuktu products online

Reviews of Timbuktu

Showing 1 to 6 of 91 reviews.

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

This is the fragrance I use when I want to reset my nose or clear my head. There is something about it that induces calmness and stillness. It is a seemingly simple composition - dry woods, incense, vetiver, and a fruit note - but it has an ability to haunt me like no other. I really like the way that Duchaufour kept all the elements in balance so that the smokiness of the incense is moistened by the mango and the dryness of the woods balanced by the damp green rootiness of the vetiver. So, your nose perceives it as simultaneously dry and juicy, smokey-bitter and sweet, dusty and earthy. It's a marvel, really, and one that draws my nose to my skin in fascination time and time again.

Timbuktu has a cold, shadowy, dark sort of presence that sets it in direct opposition to another vetiver-based incense composition, Shaal Nur, which is sunny and extroverted. It is, like the name suggests, as mysterious and as exotic as the African continent. One of my brothers used to live in Chad (don't ask - he now lives in Syria - Syria for crying out loud!) and before the birth of my first child, he trekked out to a nearby village and after shopping around, bought a beautiful tablecloth that had been hand-embroidered by a cooperative of women from that village. When his thoughtful present got to me in Montenegro, all the way from Chad, I unfolded it and out of the corners of the folds fell this red dust. This dust smelled kind of like Timbuktu, and so wearing it is always a spiritual type of experience for me.

13 August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

What do you do when you detest one of the most revered and critically acclaimed fragrances in recent memory? If youíre me, you keep trying it, in the hope of someday figuring out what all the love is about. In this spirit Iíve once again sampled Timbuktu, a scent where Iíve conspicuously parted company with most who write about fragrance. The result? I still dislike it vehemently, but Iíve at least come to understand more fully why.

Original review:
    Iíve been trying Timbuktu on and off for years, and while Iíve come to understand what Bertrand Duchaufour is trying to get at here, I still donít like it. Thereís a piercing note at Timbuktuís center that drills its way in right between my eyes and rasps away at my sinuses. For a variation on this theme thatís not merely pain-free, but outright pleasant, Iíll take Duchaufourís later Dzongkha.

05 July, 2014

Shifty Bat's avatar

I honestly thought I had reviewed Timbuktu years ago - this is just one of the many reasons I revisit all of my samples.

Timbuktu is a beautifully airy and incredibly dry fragrance that leaves not so much sillage but a brief olfactory afterimage of the moving wearer. It is bone-dry, among the most arid scents I've sampled, but the composition leaves a good deal of space, allowing the different facets more room to move about. As for the smell itself, it is the ghost of fruit haunting scorched sand and wood, as though mango fruit juice had been left to dry out for days in the sun after seeping into a length of some charred wood like a cross between red cedar and guaiac. It is the scent equivalent of blending postcards of a Hawaiian beach, an Arizonan desert, and a Nepalese temple: a sort of tropical Gucci Pour Homme. A pleasure to wear.

28 May, 2014

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Just like Diptyque Oyedo and Guerlain PH Boisee, I just don't like that gloomy mood it sets me on. A sad fragrance for a funeral or sad reminiscence of the past times gladly remembered, but long lost. Timbuktu is a refined fragrance and does have it's merits, I'll grant it that much of credit. In first instance I thought I might actually like it, but as dry-down came it just went downhills for me. Not because it smells bad but because it influences me negatively in emotional way. Although I find it conceptually intriguing, something like entering an old attic, drenched by the sun and cooled by cold nights, my mindset doesn't allow me to actually like and enjoy this type of fragrance.

12 May, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A really solid vetiver based fragrance that isn't something new or very different at all, but it's a good one.
    The opening is a little alchoholic! it's because of using a boozy note or just because of bad quality .... I don't know!!!
    I can smell a dirty/earthy vetiver note mixed with some incense that give the scent a little smoky aroma and just a hint of sweetness and fruity notes in the background.
    The whole idea of the scent remind me of "Terre D'Hermes" but something is crystal clear here. this one released two years earlier so this is the father!
    As time goes by I can smell a little more sweetness and more fruity note beside that earthy vetiver and incense combo.
    The scent is not that strong and potent. this can be someones signature scent and he can use it all year round. I said he because it's more masculine than feminine!
    Projection isn't that great. mostly close to the skin and longevity is around 6-8 hours on my skin.
    As I said a solid and classic vetiver based fragrance that personally I prefer "Terre D'Hermes EDT version" over this.

01st February, 2014

Jack Hunter's avatar

A Very Nice Bright Soft Spicy Fragrance

On the opening I get a bright uplifting incense note mixed in with a soft spicy pink pepper. Within this mix is a very subtle vetiver note just underpinning the soft almost cream like spice. This scent is complex in a very subtle and intricate way. The notes are weaved together so tightly that you only notice them when you go looking for them.

To sum up a very nice bright soft spicy fragrance that offers more than whats on the surface.

26 October, 2013

Add your review of Timbuktu

Search for on eBay United States

L'artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu Men's Eau De Toilette 3.4 oz / 100 ml NIB
    • Time Left: 4 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu 2ml Deluxe Sample ...Firewood, Woody, Tropical, EDP
    • Time Left: 25 days
    • Time Left: 5 days
    Timbuktu by L'artisan Parfumeur Eau De Toilette 3.3 oz Spray
    • Time Left: 6 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    L'ARTISAN PARFUMEUR *** 2 PC SET *** TIMBUKTU / 0.5 OZ. AMBRE EXTREME ** DAMAGED
    • Time Left: