Timbuktu (2004)

PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Timbuktu

Timbuktu is a shared / unisex perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

Timbuktu fragrance notes

Reviews of Timbuktu

It starts out sweet, warm spicy. In the middle I get a whiff of something different; perhaps it is the karo karounde. Towards the end I smell the patch, benzoin, and myrhh. "Beyond the basenotes", when it has really dried down, it is a slightly wood, powder-like scent.

For me, it starts out rather ordinary. As it wears on, then it becomes interesting and quite lovely. I can see why it is so popular, now that I have finally tried it.
22nd November, 2017
zar music
In the cultures of the Horn of Africa and adjacent regions of the Middle East .
Wikipedia
26th October, 2017 (last edited: 02nd November, 2017)
Timbuktu gives me a sense of tranquility, much like burning Nag Champa incense does during my meditation.
The top notes (playful and not overwhelming mango included) make for a smooth, sweet entry but it’s the dry down where this beauty shines for me. The papyrus and frankincense play the largest part in said dry down, and the smoky aura is heavenly. It is refined, relaxing, not loud, and lasts a long while on skin and fabric. Romantic and quite addicting is this offering from L’Artisan Parfumeur.
If you are debating buying this blindly, you will not be disappointed with this one.
15th October, 2017
Stardate 20170825:

A contradiction of fragrance world. It is light, ethereal, delicate and at the same time brilliant, powerful beast.
As for notes - Vetiver and incense are the main backbone while citrus and fruits provide the illumination.
I have the wave bottle and do not know much about reformulations.
Recommended
25th August, 2017
Quite easily the number one fragrance in my collection.
The main things i get are vetiver, incense and that green mango. But for me this is not about the individual notes and how they blend together. There are no real stars of this composition. It is at once clean, bracing, juicy, exotic and a little bit mystical.
Opens like you are walking through 100% humidity in a tropical rain forest and then transforms to an earthy, green grassland with the humidity turning to enchanting smoke.
This is voodoo for the nose.
20th August, 2017
I had been eager to try this one, but I can't say I'm blown away. I found a good deal on a 1 oz. I can't see buying the 50ml or 100ml though I need to give it a few more wears to properly assess it.

I get a Sycomore vibe from the pepper and green sharp vetiver combo (and probably cedar). I found it in Bois d'Ombrie recently as well. Fortunately, this is a vibe I really enjoy. Despite being from 2004, Timbuktu has a dated quality, though I can't pinpoint where this is coming from. Perhaps, the opening fruit.

Overall, this is a pleasant fragrance. It's not an overpowering and longlasting fragrance. The drydown which stays close to the skin is really nice. Although not in the notes breakdown, it seems like there is a bit of goaty labdanum in there. Also, I don't get enough of the smokiness/incense that Duchaufour is known for. I would go elsewhere for that (CdG or Jubilation).
17th August, 2017

Add your review of Timbuktu

Shop for Timbuktu products online

Shop for Timbuktu at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Timbuktu

Member images of Timbuktu

There are no member images of Timbuktu yet. Why not be the first?