Timbuktu (2004)

PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Timbuktu

Timbuktu is a shared / unisex perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

Timbuktu fragrance notes

Reviews of Timbuktu

Stardate 20170825:

A contradiction of fragrance world. It is light, ethereal, delicate and at the same time brilliant, powerful beast.
As for notes - Vetiver and incense are the main backbone while citrus and fruits provide the illumination.
I have the wave bottle and do not know much about reformulations.
Recommended
25th August, 2017
Quite easily the number one fragrance in my collection.
The main things i get are vetiver, incense and that green mango. But for me this is not about the individual notes and how they blend together. There are no real stars of this composition. It is at once clean, bracing, juicy, exotic and a little bit mystical.
Opens like you are walking through 100% humidity in a tropical rain forest and then transforms to an earthy, green grassland with the humidity turning to enchanting smoke.
This is voodoo for the nose.
20th August, 2017
I had been eager to try this one, but I can't say I'm blown away. I found a good deal on a 1 oz. I can't see buying the 50ml or 100ml though I need to give it a few more wears to properly assess it.

I get a Sycomore vibe from the pepper and green sharp vetiver combo (and probably cedar). I found it in Bois d'Ombrie recently as well. Fortunately, this is a vibe I really enjoy. Despite being from 2004, Timbuktu has a dated quality, though I can't pinpoint where this is coming from. Perhaps, the opening fruit.

Overall, this is a pleasant fragrance. It's not an overpowering and longlasting fragrance. The drydown which stays close to the skin is really nice. Although not in the notes breakdown, it seems like there is a bit of goaty labdanum in there. Also, I don't get enough of the smokiness/incense that Duchaufour is known for. I would go elsewhere for that (CdG or Jubilation).
17th August, 2017
Green spicy barbershop fragrance. The pink pepper, Frankincense, and vetiver combine to make a great sharp fragrance. This rises above the generic 70's barbershop fragrance with the frankincense and the pink pepper. A great fragrance.
14th July, 2017
It's chock full of spice and incense and smells like a Hollywood movie about the mysterious desert, but it's also light and airy. I get a sweet 'curry' type smell which makes me wonder if it's more something I'd like to eat than to wear. It's a little too sweet for me - once I smell incense I want something dry and ethereal. But it's not bad at all. After the initial few minutes, it does start to get more airy and mind clearing. I would dearly like to smell the older version as, from my reading, it seems to be closer to what I would love this to be.
14th May, 2017
I had high hopes for this one. Reading others' reviews and the note breakdown, it sounded like an inventive, challenging unisex that I would bathe in. I was disappointed even after three wears.
More than one spritz of this would act like human repellant- and, due to the high sweetness, fly attractant.
Aside from some pink pepper and a sort of generic fruity accord, all I get is an overbearing, old fashioned, sweet incense that somehow reminds me of old lady bingo parlor perfume.
I suppose my nose isn't yet refined enough to pick apart the notes in something so heavy. I'm going to keep the sample around and check in with it occasionally in the hopes that I am one day able to enjoy it.
05th March, 2017

Add your review of Timbuktu

Shop for Timbuktu products online

Shop for Timbuktu at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Timbuktu

Member images of Timbuktu

There are no member images of Timbuktu yet. Why not be the first?