Timbuktu (2004)

PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Timbuktu

Timbuktu is a shared / unisex perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

Timbuktu fragrance notes

Reviews of Timbuktu

Soapy, smoky, woody, sweet, and vegetal...all at the same time. Best worn casually (i.e., hemp, linen, denim, etc...), during one's leisure time, as I'm not convinced Timbuktu is a great choice for office wear (unless you work abroad as a Swahili professor, or for the womens' liberation foundation..whatever...).
Not just sexy, Timbuktu smells OF sex.
This is about as unisex/gender-nonspecific as they come.
Classic.
09th September, 2016
This has an incredible soaring quality and is the prettiest vetiver I have found (although totally unisex), as it uses the floral and fruity notes to take the edge off the raw coldness that vetiver often has. It remains a cool, collected scent, and it makes me feel all-conquering, so should possibly be worn with care.

I don't think to wear it a lot but I am always glad when I have it on, plus it practically makes my husband salivate - which shows that men aren't all Pavlovian creatures programmed to go wild at the scent of synthetic vanilla...

Anyway, it is a beautiful fragrance - both shimmering and brooding, soft and austere. The sillage and longevity are both excellent.
17th August, 2016
It's possible that my bottle is a recent reformulation (or that it has gone off), because I don't recognize many of the woody, spicy, incense and berry notes for which this fragrance is known. I mainly get citrus that lasts throughout the dry-down, and its overall development seems linear and - while pretty - not particularly interesting. I don't detect the sweetness that many reviewers mention, though I do appreciate Timbuktu's transparency and shimmering quality. It's just not a go-to fragrance for me.
03rd April, 2016
This perfume smells mainly like a cross between a wood working shop and slightly sweet-medicinal/Eucalyptus notes. Some of you might think that sounds awful, but it's actually a very nice and pleasant smelling scent!
Initially, when I first sprayed it on (unlike Turin), I actually thought that it seemed far too heavily masculine to be categorized as a "nice scent" for a woman to wear! I could smell it like crazy as well, so my initial reaction wasn't altogether positive!
Not very long after spraying it though, this perfume actually settles down a lot! As Turin says, it actually does remain mostly a skin scent. There isn't a lot of sillage or projection from this one, and all the notes that it does project are quite soft and subtle. I find that there actually is enough sweetness in the notes (that it projects) that I actually do enjoy wearing it as well. However, it isn't so sweet that a guy wouldn't like it. I think that "Timbuktu" actually is a really nice fragrance that both a man and a woman could share. That said, I also think that the women who would enjoy this one the most are probably also the same ones who are fans of "Ormonde Woman" by Ormonde Jayne, or that style of fragrance anyway. This fragrance actually reminds me of "Ormonde Woman" quite a bit actually, although I think I like "Timbuktu" more.
So, yes, this is a very nice, pleasant woody, unisex scent, and if you are a fan of perfumes with wood notes at all, and you haven't tried this one yet, I do highly recommend it! You should be able to try it at your local Sephora, or, you can order a sample. I do highly recommend it, I don't think you'll be disappointed! :)
17th December, 2015
Timbuktu is not a scent for me. I sampled it a day after sampling Dzonkha, and although the fragrances share some similarities, Dzonkha is much more masculine and exotic with it's spice, incense and vetiver. Timbuktu strays to hard to the feminine side with it's mango, berries and floral for my liking. I ended up scrubbing it off at the two hour mark, as I found it decidedly feminine. The mango note and prominent floral notes are just too sickly sweet for my taste, but I can understand where some younger men might like the scent. Not for me and a decided Thumbs Down.
04th December, 2015
Just received L'artisan Timbuktu. Timbuktu's newest version might be different than the previous release (depending on formulation portions) since I get more pepper than the floral many have mentioned. Timbuktu in the beginning has this strong aggressive opening of pepper and spices, but calms to a more soft peppery incense fragrance after the initial spray. As others pointed out mango, I didn't nor am I getting any mango fruitiness in this fragrance and maybe I need to wear this a bit more in order to recognize that. Timbuktu is a wonderful unisex fragrance that if used appropriately will garner pleasant compliments and more. I am really enjoying this fragrance; after a shower, I put a small portion on and today I still get whiffs of this great fragrance. Having used dibs, both sillage and projection seems to be amazing without having sprayed fully. Those who have this and Blackwalnut (BR) may see similarities even Valbonne (MB) has that peppery vibe that is alluring and inviting. Overall, Timbuktu is a knockout....enjoy!
21st November, 2015

Add your review of Timbuktu

Shop for Timbuktu products online

Shop for Timbuktu at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Timbuktu

Member images of Timbuktu

There are no member images of Timbuktu yet. Why not be the first?