Timbuktu (2004)

PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Timbuktu

Timbuktu is a shared / unisex perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

Timbuktu fragrance notes

Reviews of Timbuktu

It is not wrong to classify Tumbuktu as a fruity (mango?), incensy vetiver but this would not do it justice. Timbuktu at the same time allows the individual notes as well as the magical sum of its parts to shine through.

I agree with Classicfan that there is a matte quality about it which reminds of nostalgic old charming places... But it's not dated and more of a warm cosy scent memory.

Timbuktu shares some facets with Olfactive Studio's Chambre Noir and Dzongkha, but I clearly love Timbuktu more than these 2.
06th July, 2015
This has definitely changed over the years. I think I actually prefer its current formulation though.

Vetiver is now the star of the Timbuktu show. The vinegary quality that was once prominent to my nose has diminished, as has the incense.

Still beautiful, but still not for me.
07th April, 2015
@the_good_life - Maybe you have the newer version? I found the vetiver to be too strong in the new one. The old formula is the bottle with the clove leaf or whatever symbol that is and it smells sublime! Unfortunately my bottle broke because I was so in love with it and all there is now is the newer versions and I can't find the older one anywhere! :'(
02nd March, 2015
I may just be a paranoid old fart, but I would swear an oath in any court this was a different scent years ago, when I had a sample and loved it. What I just bought myself for X-mas (the new box) reeks of cheap soap laced with white pepper and is clearly chock-full of the laundry detergent aromachems I have everlong detested and always will. I couldn't possibly have liked THIS at any point of my fragrant career.
24th December, 2014
Before I actually tried this, I didn't know what to expect. Read a lot of reviews and was in limbo about getting it. Finally got a bottle and liked it. What took me so long? Starts of green and a little earthy. You definitely get the vetiver in this. That last about 20 minutes then it turns slightly floral. At one point this reminded me of Encre Noire Sport (which I happen to like). The drydown has a slight soapy vibe (may be the berry note). As others have mentioned, it does have a sour moment, but this is a very good fragrance nonetheless. 7.5/10
20th December, 2014
The mango and berries appear upfront and refreshing. Pretty quickly a really nice floral appears mixed with a nice light wood. There's good sillage and longevity like most L'Artisan fragrances. The wood and flower are what makes this exotic and the incense finishes it off well by being a little sweet. This is so intelligently made it's fun. The price isn't bad for something so interesting. If you like Silver Mountain Water you should give this one a try. Also if you like the matte quality of PdN New York I recommend this for the papyrus.
23rd November, 2014 (last edited: 22nd November, 2014)

Add your review of Timbuktu

Shop for Timbuktu products online

Shop for Timbuktu at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Timbuktu

Member images of Timbuktu

There are no member images of Timbuktu yet. Why not be the first?