Comme des Garçons 2 Man (2004)
by Comme des Garçons

Comme des Garçons 2 Man information

Year of Launch2004

HouseComme des Garçons
PerfumerMark Buxton
PackagingRei Kawakubo
PackagingMarc Atlan

About Comme des Garçons 2 Man

Comme des Garçons 2 Man is a masculine fragrance by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Mark Buxton. The bottle was designed by Marc Atlan and Rei Kawakubo

Comme des Garçons 2 Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Comme des Garçons 2 Man

What fun to have a perfume that flirts with several ‘masculine’ clichés and yet creates something so full of life and so deeply satisfying. From the curls of vetiver and incense smoke that mark the opening to the lovely sweet herbals-infused wood accents coming up behind, to delicate sprinkles of nutmeg, this is declaring ‘man stuff’. But wait, there is aldehydic (and – dare I say the dreaded word – almost aquatic) lift, old makeup accents of iris and violet and goodness knows what else creating an incredibly addictive mesh.
It’s a joy to wear – rich (but not overly so), accessible, warm and complex, a honey of a scent. I rushed out and bought it. Shame the projection is somewhat quiet. Into every perfumed life some rain must fall…
15th January, 2016
I have a great deal of respect for Comme Des Garcons, they are one of the better "niche at designer price" houses at the current time. IMO, CDG 2 Man is the best work of Mark Buxton to date, although Sander scent 79 is really good.

CDG 2 Man is the best truly "multidimensional" fragrance in my possession. To my nose Buxton structured this so that waves of varying notes and intensities would waft about concurrently throughout it's evolution. I guess I would say this fragrance charts a "wide olfactory swath".While I suppose many fragrances try to accomplish this, Buxton with CDG 2 Man nailed it so well that it caught me off guard, and when a fragrance does that to me, it is a very good thing!

Initially I dismissed this fragrance as weak and unusual. But I rapidly turned from uninterested to infatuated. The execution of this fragrance is complex and interesting. Do not underestimate the role mint plays in this fragrance. It is brilliant.

CDG 2 Man seems insanely strong initially only to play a bit of hide and seek a few hours later. I would describe the effect of this fragrance as initially confused, like the notes are all looking for a seat and bickering over who gets to set in the first row, slightly herbal and a little bit dirty/sweaty for a few minutes, only to quickly morph into a lovely multi layered incense driven, barely sweet, chilly white smoke, slightly peppered, hot balsamic infused wax, all contained in slightly minty crusted olfactory package. All the while faint "wisps"(I suspect the aldehydes)of perfumes past swirl about in your personal space.

It brings so many things to mind, like my college girlfriend (years ago!) chewing mint gum with Aveda scented hair, new leather luggage, fine furniture, etc. It also has traces of Avignon, Zagorsk and even CDG Black to my nose. Though I think it is better than the aforementioned fragrances with the potential exception of CDG Black which is probably a tie with 2Man.

I sometimes layer 2Man with Loewe 7 and the effect is quite pleasing for me with more than a few inquiries and compliments.

I think easily worn by anyone who enjoys the fragrance, man, woman, It does not matter.

If your properly moisturized skin seems to eat this fragrance, garments and hair seem to hold it quite well.

To my nose the similarities to GPH1 are not that significant and I appreciate CDG 2 Man much more that GPH 1, not to say I don't also love GPH 1, because I do!

You will never smell the same twice wearing this genius scent from Mark Buxton.

14th January, 2016 (last edited: 15th January, 2016)
Salutation.

COMME DES GARCONS 2 is "all about the power of transformation.the power of every individual to turn anything into something positive".It is one of the best fragrances i have smelled in the COMME DES GARCONS collection.the men wearing this is so sophisticated,yet still a thoroughbred male who roar if he likes.This EDT may not be for everyone if you like incense and leather than you may want to give this a try. Sophistiacated, Woody,Clssy,Smoky,Warm, Gorgeous,Absolutely masculine and Modern but in a Classic way.

Although the top notes might seem loud that one thinks he has oversprayed oneself,the dry down is great for tight spaces with someone you might want to spend some more time with a.in fact it has a smoky scent from the begin until the end but it is not too heavy at all.i find it to be a so classy smell and recommend it to the distinguished gentleman.It is suitable for OFFICE and FORMAL wear. perfect for COLD wether.In conclusion if you are self-confident,go for it.

Sillage?Good.

Longevity?+6 hours on my skin.

7.25/10
02nd June, 2015
Pleasant wood-leather mix.

On the first spray, I instantly thought: "This smells exactly line one of the AXE/Lynx body spray I used a few years ago." Must have been AXE Africa, Phoenix or Unlimited. 1:1 copy.
27th June, 2014
Genre: Leather

First I get a dry, astringent, aromatic opening that smells strongly of rosemary and dried lavender. Incense and tarry notes soon follow, along with a sweet artificial fruit note. The overall impression is relatively stark and gray. The only color comes from the air freshener fruit note, and that color is glossy hot pink.

The sweetness doesn't last long, but it somehow manages to leave a ghost of its synthetic edge, so that the remaining accord is spare, harsh, and oddly "mechanical." Powdery elements in the base contribute a dry, musty component to CdG 2 Man, and I'm suddenly reminded of the dusty, metallic interior of a well-used CPU with its cover removed for repair.

The incense note becomes more and more tenuous over time, and as it fades it uncovers a dry, smoky leather in the background. This is not the cowboy boots and barbecue smoke of Lonestar Memories, or the velvety leather of Eau d'Hermès. Instead it is the harsh, bitter smoke of an electrical fire. After an hour or two what remains on my skin is mostly mineralic dust dust and smoke, as if someone had recently burned an electronic device on a concrete floor. CdG 2 Man's sillage and projection are both minimal, and the scent is not among the most tenacious that I've worn.

When I look back at what I've just written, I realize that CdG 2 Man is far less intriguing and provocative than my description makes it sound. Yes, it's odd, but I don't find it as challenging as many Comme des Garcons scent can be. It's bleak monotony is ultimately dull, and wearing CdG 2 Man only reminds me how much better this house has done in the past. In the end CdG 2 Man is nothing more than a protracted yawn.
11th June, 2014
5 stars. Thank you comme des garcons for making this. If only it lasted longer than an hour. This, along with GPH1 (2003) are the best wood scents I've ever come across. Many people compare the two, and I can see that. CDG2 Man is much lighter to me, whereas the amazing GPH1 is dark and rich. A beautiful scent, a real work of art.
09th April, 2014