Comme des Garçons 2 Man (2004)
by Comme des Garçons

Comme des Garçons 2 Man information

Year of Launch2004

HouseComme des Garçons
PerfumerMark Buxton
PackagingRei Kawakubo
PackagingMarc Atlan

About Comme des Garçons 2 Man

Comme des Garçons 2 Man is a masculine fragrance by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Mark Buxton. The bottle was designed by Marc Atlan and Rei Kawakubo

Comme des Garçons 2 Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Comme des Garçons 2 Man

Stardate 20161003:

An autumn evening in the Adirondacks. You are tired from the day's hike and decide to pitch your tent near a lake. You start a bonfire and cook your beans and sausage. A glass of wine (or maybe 2) with dinner and you are ready to sleep. You lay under a million stars and the smoke from smoldering fire lulls you to sleep.

If that sounds like fun but too much work just wear CdG 2 Man. Effect is very similar.
03rd October, 2016
This fresh incense doesn't quite work for me. The overall smell of the Comme des Garcons fragrances I've tried is less natural than I was hoping for.
06th September, 2016
Opening is like a firecracker going off. A puff of coumin and smoke, then gone. Next is sweet incense and leather. After 1/2 hr. the Vetiver and saffron come out to stay. Projection is OK, longevity also ok, Not full-bottle worthy to me, but 5-10 mls sample is good to have around.
05th June, 2016
What fun to have a perfume that flirts with several ‘masculine’ clichés and yet creates something so full of life and so deeply satisfying. From the curls of vetiver and incense smoke that mark the opening to the lovely sweet herbals-infused wood accents coming up behind, to delicate sprinkles of nutmeg, this is declaring ‘man stuff’. But wait, there is aldehydic (and – dare I say the dreaded word – almost aquatic) lift, old makeup accents of iris and violet and goodness knows what else creating an incredibly addictive mesh.
It’s a joy to wear – rich (but not overly so), accessible, warm and complex, a honey of a scent. I rushed out and bought it. Shame the projection is somewhat quiet. Into every perfumed life some rain must fall…
15th January, 2016
I have a great deal of respect for Comme Des Garcons, they are one of the better "niche at designer price" houses at the current time. IMO, CDG 2 Man is the best work of Mark Buxton to date, although Sander scent 79 is really good.

CDG 2 Man is the best truly "multidimensional" fragrance in my possession. To my nose Buxton structured this so that waves of varying notes and intensities would waft about concurrently throughout it's evolution. I guess I would say this fragrance charts a "wide olfactory swath".While I suppose many fragrances try to accomplish this, Buxton with CDG 2 Man nailed it so well that it caught me off guard, and when a fragrance does that to me, it is a very good thing!

Initially I dismissed this fragrance as weak and unusual. But I rapidly turned from uninterested to infatuated. The execution of this fragrance is complex and interesting. Do not underestimate the role mint plays in this fragrance. It is brilliant.

CDG 2 Man seems insanely strong initially only to play a bit of hide and seek a few hours later. I would describe the effect of this fragrance as initially confused, like the notes are all looking for a seat and bickering over who gets to set in the first row, slightly herbal and a little bit dirty/sweaty for a few minutes, only to quickly morph into a lovely multi layered incense driven, barely sweet, chilly white smoke, slightly peppered, hot balsamic infused wax, all contained in slightly minty crusted olfactory package. All the while faint "wisps"(I suspect the aldehydes)of perfumes past swirl about in your personal space.

It brings so many things to mind, like my college girlfriend (years ago!) chewing mint gum with Aveda scented hair, new leather luggage, fine furniture, etc. It also has traces of Avignon, Zagorsk and even CDG Black to my nose. Though I think it is better than the aforementioned fragrances with the potential exception of CDG Black which is probably a tie with 2Man.

I sometimes layer 2Man with Loewe 7 and the effect is quite pleasing for me with more than a few inquiries and compliments.

I think easily worn by anyone who enjoys the fragrance, man, woman, It does not matter.

If your properly moisturized skin seems to eat this fragrance, garments and hair seem to hold it quite well.

To my nose the similarities to GPH1 are not that significant and I appreciate CDG 2 Man much more that GPH 1, not to say I don't also love GPH 1, because I do!

You will never smell the same twice wearing this genius scent from Mark Buxton.

14th January, 2016 (last edited: 15th January, 2016)
Have you ever bought something “new” and found when you got it home, you already had one?

Having Basenotes reviews to refer back to has prevented me from buying and/or attempting to review the same scent I had experienced previously. For any of you trying in vain to find CDG’s Bijou, as reviewed in Luca Turin’s Perfume Guide, you need look no longer.

Our moderator, Grant, has discerned that what was Bijou in its initial flagship release at Selfridge’s, became CDG 2 Man upon general release. What is fun is discovering that Mr. Turin reviewed both Bijou and CDG 2 Man as entirely separate scents, not realizing (at least in print) that they were identical.

He did give both four stars, but gave them different two word summary labels, calling Bijou “fresh woody” and CDG 2 Man “candle smoke.” The reviews themselves differ also. For Bijou, he found it to be a “transparent, fresh, woody-smoky” scent with floral elements. For CDG 2 Man, he discerned “a snuffed out candle with citrus undertones,” derived from combining, he intuited, frankincense with carbons 7 and 9.

What is it exactly? An odd amalgam of both impressions. I get a sharp, unpleasant woody (oud, aguac?) with an incense vibe. This type of scent I’ve come across many times. I believe it began with Guerlain’s Heritage, but has been copied hundreds of times in contemporary men’s scents. It’s never nice, has a metallic off-putting shrillness resembling ammonia, and is far more repellent than attractive.

Two strikes, you’re out!
02nd January, 2016 (last edited: 04th July, 2016)

Add your review of Comme des Garçons 2 Man