Comme des Garçons 2 Man (2004)
    by Comme des Garçons

Comme des Garçons 2 Man Fragrance notes

White Smoke, Nutmeg, Cumin, Mahogony, Saffron, Iris, Nutmeg, Leather, Vetiver, Incense

Shop for Comme des Garçons 2 Man products online

50ml EdP
    50ml EdT
    $89.66*
    100ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 53.60)

Reviews of Comme des Garçons 2 Man

Showing 1 to 6 of 86 reviews.

Kain's avatar
    Kain
    Iran Iran

It's really interesting for me that some people keep comparing this to "Gucci Pour Homme 2003" and even some of them say this is better version of it, but for me these two have completely different scents.
    At the opening I can smell a semi sweet saffron note with lots of woods and spice and a little bit of aldehydes.
    The heavy woods and spicy part may remind you of "Gucci Pour Homme" but there is lots of saffron and aldehydes here that make this fragrance quite different.
    As time goes by the saffron note goes to the background and now aldehydes become much stronger.
    The aldehydes give the scent a strong soapy vibe and a little green feeling and beside that still you can smell woods and spices but behind aldehydes.
    It's soapy and a little green, but bitter woody and spicy at the same time with some floral notes.
    In the base I can smell a inky musky vetiver note with some aldehydes and woods in the background.
    The base of the fragrance remind me of the dry down of "Lalique Encre Noir". not exactly the same but close enough.
    Projection is really good and longevity is around 5-7 hours on my skin.
    A good and pleasant soapy,woody and spicy fragrance and I like it.

01st February, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

This smells mechanical to me. And - don't ask me why - military. A military facility in the desert. To be honest I do not smell much smoke or woods or incense, I do not smell anything natural at all, just a grey, harsh cloud of metallic scent. Not sure if this is genius or I'm just making up my imagination on a smell of burnt tires. Can't really decide how to judge this. Usually I do not really like all-synthetic scents as this one appears to be, but still CdG is the only house who can always manage to make it a bit more plausible.

?/10

30th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 16 April, 2014)

Redbeard's avatar
    Redbeard

To me, this starts out very similar to Gucci Pour Homme, as everyone suggests, but much quieter. It's not as strong, but the top notes are smoother, with less cumin and sweat, probably because it has less cedar and more of a variety of exotic woods. It's also less sweet, so altogether more realistic so far. It starts to get more resinous and piney, not to mention stronger, and I agree that it's smoky without going overboard as some do (I haven't even gotten to their Incense series yet!). Later on, though, I start to find a funky acridness...maybe a bit too much of the campfire smoke is finally getting into the tent? Still, the base provides some smooth, sweet wood of the type I usually like. Regarding the question that people ask (whether to buy Gucci PH or CdG 2 Man), I think it's about a toss-up. Both are a tepid thumbs-up, though I'll give this one the edge for being more natural.

Overall, reviewing this scent for me is more an overture to understanding CdG than an analysis of one product. Since CdG seems to be the self-proclaimed master of this smoke/wood genre, I'm going to check out Palisander and Sequoia, revisit the Incense series, and then try some of their more recent similar scents, and really learn what aspects of smoky wood I like or don't like. I'm excited, but I already know that some of their scents are just too harsh and acrid for me.

04 April, 2013

Marais's avatar
    Marais

This starts with a burst of lemon freshness which, as usual, doesn't last terribly long. After that it is all about the dry, smoky vetiver (which is more smoke than vetiver). One of the more wearable of the now-trendy woodsmoke genre, it avoids the worst excesses of its pricier niche brethren. Average longevity.

19 February, 2013

gmstrack's avatar
    gmstrack

Comme des Garcons 2 Man by Comme des Garcons is an incense lover’s delight. I love smelling like I just stuck my head in a camp fire and then rolled around in random greenery. The usage of aldehydes is a stroke of genius that lends a cool yet waxy aspect to balance the huge bonfire burning in the back yard. The leather is aged liked a lived in jacket and doesn’t have that “beefy” steak-on-skin feel that can become overwhelming after a while. Yes, CdG 2 Man is much better than putting a steak in your pants. Also, this is loaded with Iso E super, but I guess I really enjoy my flavor enhancers. The rest of the fragrance involves citrus, spices, and in general, wood, but I really couldn’t tell you exactly what the notes are. The only issue I have with CdG 2 Man is development on the skin; after a couple hours the fragrance becomes a little generic.

4.5/5 Super! (heh)

12 February, 2013

jtd's avatar
    jtd

Iso E super has gotten a bad rap in the past few years. What started out as a simple aromachemical in the early 1970s has become the monster responsible for a monotonous (monolfactive?) genre of perfumes that has brought shame to the word woody. Drama, huh? Don’t blame the chemical,though. Blame the system.

There is an era specific (late 1980s - mid-1990s) group of perfumes, perfumers and houses that used iso-E Super as a panacea for problems of longevity and richness in perfume composition. Reliance on iso E Super led to a system like the 1980s Chelsea gay male clone conundrum. That is to say, an identifiable visual (or olfactory) and fashion style that broadcast anonymity and identity simultaneously. Context is the icing that finishes the cake. The person being considered, along with cultural clues (20th and 8th in NYC) and the context of the viewer (trolling Rawhide for action) go a long way to answering the question: Is that man a straight marine or a hardcore homo?

Both situations (the queers and the perfumes) led to a similar problem. For the Chelea fags, what if you didn’t look like a Ken-doll to start with? Altering themselves to fit the clone mold, a lot of urban fags I knew wound up ghettoized in a world that they felt shunned them. Perfumers wound up not simply using Iso-E Super as an adjective in their compositions, they began to envision compositions that were answers to the question, “What would Iso-E Super be just perfect for?!” They sought to create the ideal radiant, spicy woody perfume, and in the end made perfumes that just smelled of Iso-E Super. A bunch of clones. Rather than using the aromachemical as a floralizer, intensifier or optimizer (how the chemical is marketed by producers) this genre treats Iso-E Super as the end goal, and uses other bits and pieces to bring it out. The first Iso-E Super homage is interesting, and might be a commentary of sorts. The second and third show that this aromachemical can be a bull in a perfume shop. After that it's either creative complacency, laziness or a rut.

CDG Man 2 is one of the better iterations of what I'll call iso-style perfumes. (Others are Encre Noir, Ormande Woman, Terre d'Hermes, Feminite du Bois and Poivre Scaramandre.) It’s a riff on incense and other balsams, woody, but managing to be waxy and oily as well, suggesting essential oils and balms. It captures the acrid sear of smoking incense but also has the pine-like woody cleanliness of olibanum essential oil. 2 Man gets at a number of incense’s facets simultaneously in a way that neither burned incense nor incense oil could on their own. The drydown, much softer than the opening, is soothing.

When you read the following words or phrases in perfume marketing or criticism, beware. They often serve as code for iso-style.  Radiant, sheer, tenacious, velvety, woody, plush, atmospheric. When you see notes of cedar, incense, pepper and the classic "rare woods", think twice. Iso-E style perfumes are fine as long as you know what you’re in for, and if that is what you’re looking for, you CDG 2 Man is worth a try.

25 December, 2012