Shanghai (2004)
    by Marc Rosen

Reviews of Shanghai

Showing 1 to of 3 reviews.
    positive 3 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative No Negative Reviews

knit at nite's avatar
    knit at nite

I've had this in my collection since 2009 but in preparing for the Friday sync of "forgotten scents" in your wardrobe, dug this out of hibernation.
    Shanghai is intoxicating, not cloying as it warms on skin. The normally citrus opening of bergamot has got to be tempered by the smidge of green apple(and it's more of a perception than picking out the green apple note).
    This Cinnamon note is very shy on me, I can't pick it out. As it dries down the osmanthus and deep plum come out and of course, the PATCHOULI waved hello as soon as the spray left the nozzle. The base is an Ok woodsy amber- not as exciting as the transition between top and mid.
    A beautiful bottle- the weight of it and feel of the glass in your palm is lovely and satisfying. The cap to me is not as nice as the bottle. One of the plastic appendages broke off soon after purchase.
    Overall, a big positive for a grownup fruity floral that transitions well from day to night.
    One note about the juice, which is a gorgeous red color. I think avoiding clothes spraying with this one might be wise as it might stain.

31st May, 2012

sophywt's avatar
    sophywt
    China China

Shanghai seems the only perfume from Marc Rosen who is famous for perfume bottle design, but this single work is really a nice one! I got a sampler recently. The first sniff has a powdery rose floral notes, very pink-ish. I don't like it much. but after spraying some on my wrist, the smell turns into a mild sweet fruity notes combining with soft floral and warm vanilla.

I like its subtle softness which is not often seen in oriental perfumes. I always warn my friends that Oriental is not very suitable for Chinese since its strong smells. but I recommend this one for night. It has a touch of some real chinese characters: passion-hided, never go extreme, soft and peaceful nature.

06 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2008)

TDDanae's avatar
    TDDanae

Shanghai by Shanghai is a most delicate oriental floral with fruity notes.
    Top Notes: bergamot, green apple, touches of cinnamon oil of Ceylon, Asian magnolia flower.
    Middle notes: Ancient Chinese Osmanthus flower with slight apricot notes, carnation, jasmine, patchouli
    Bottom notes: Vanilla bourbon, balsam wood, ambergris, Chinese wild plum. I and my husband truly love this fragrance. It is a very mild oriental and so could be worn anywhere, day or night. Love it!

22 December, 2006