Armani Privé Bois d'Encens (2004)
by Giorgio Armani

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens information

Year of Launch2004

HouseGiorgio Armani
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Armani Privé Bois d'Encens

One of four fragrances which launched Giorgio Armani's Privé range in 2004.

Each fragrance is encased in a glass-lined wooden (African Kotibe wood) container, with a pebble-like cap. The fragrances aren't designed to be masculine, nor feminine and will sit on both men's and women's fragrance counters. Launched in December in selected stores such as Harrods, Bon Marche, 10 Corso Como and El Corte Ingles.

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens fragrance notes

Reviews of Armani Privé Bois d'Encens

Safe bet for fans of incense. Definitely doesn’t shy away from showing it’s synthetic-smelling mechanics, but they combine with piney, churchy frankincense for an amped up, long-lasting, arid, fuzzy incense extravagnza for a good 6-8 hours. Fits into the genre with Avignon, Full Incense, Lavs etc. but I have found it to be the most satisfying for an incense fix. I recently gutted my perfume collection to narrow it down to favorite essentials and Bois d’Encens isn’t going anywhere, it’ll be on my shelf for the rest of my life.
05th March, 2018
Quartz Show all reviews
Really nice smell- frankincense to me- but the projection & longevity are poor at best, even after spraying clothing. Overspraying didn't seem to help either. I get an occasional whiff of it 3 hours after application and when I asked someone what they thought of it, they couldn't smell it and their nose was almost right on my neck. Someone else mentioned it was more of a skin scent and that is correct. For this kind of performance, it's worth nowhere near the asking price. This is something I'd spend $60-$70 on, not $200+.
Neutral rating only because of the smell.
28th February, 2018
I know incense and incense blends from an association with a monastery that made its own. Frankincense is essentially sweet and signature "incense" is derived from mixing it with other resins and woods (myrrh, rose, cedar) to create a rich, multi-layered fragrance which, when spooned over live charcoal, creates the smoke for liturgical ceremonies, dispersed through censers, swung around the altar.

What my nose picks up here is simply pepper and cedar - dry, bitter and rather nasty - this is the scent of "burnt" incense, not in the sense of consuming by flames, but in the sense of hard, black, ruined, finished incense, the point at which the censer should be retired to avoid offending the noses of both the congregation and the deity being honored.

It is a poor performance, and a joke considering the price. If you want true and beautiful incense, try Etro's Messe de Minuit, a quarter of the price and four times as good.

29th January, 2016
First sniffed this in 2004 at Sak's.
The Dry Pepper grabbed me, the Vetiver shook me,and the Frankincense sealed the deal. It was the first Armani, for me, that captured the essence of elegance since the Vintage Eau Pour Homme.
In 2008 I purchased it along with a pair of Black Label Gray Flannels.
It remains as my favourite of the Prive Line.
10th January, 2016 (last edited: 27th July, 2017)
An excellent, mysterious incense fragrance, actually my favorite, it realy is a skinscent so if you are looking for "statements" avoid. It starts of peppery and then follows a pungent ambery, slighlty animalic note (labdanum) along with a light airy franckincense which also reveals a citrusy vibe. Then it dries down to a mainly musky cedar with some vetiver. Personally I find all the phases extremely beautiful and I adore the fact that it wears as a cologne. If you like incense BLIND BUY IT.
20th February, 2015
Without question, this is the highlight of the line and one of the best frankincense perfumes on the market.

It’s basically a cerebral chin-stroker of a frankincense with cedar facets that are balanced out by what seems to me to be some kind of floral note. Frankincense can be quite bitter, and here it’s smoothed over in a way that exalts the material’s richness. There are some spices present, but they’re really just there for texture rather than flavor. It’s a cold scent—not quite as sharp as the similarly-themed Avignon—but chilling all the same. However, it has a calming, meditative quality to it that offsets some of the coldness. It’s linear and it winds down to Iso E quite fairly quickly, but it’s really all about highlighting the frankincense—and that’s what this does well. It feels like a solinote, so if you’re looking for a more developed perfume, I’d turn to Clive Christian’s V or perhaps Sahara Noir, but this is great for what it is, and it’s by far the best thing from the line.
07th January, 2015