Average Rating: 4

Based on 341 ratings

Borneo 1834 Fragrance notes

Patchouli, Camphor, Cardamom, Cistus, Galbanum, Cacao

Borneo 1834 information

Borneo 1834 is a unisex fragrance by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido. The scent was launched in 2005

Reviews of Borneo 1834

Showing 1 to 6 of 59 reviews.

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

This was one of the first niche fragrances I ever bought, and although I don't wear it that often, it brings back a rush of good memories for me. First, its dark, musty, camphorous smell reminds me of the day I bought it - a cold, blustery day in Rome, walking in dark streets before they turned the street lamps, slightly drunk from the wine we had unwisely drunk at lunch. The scent of Borneo reminds me of that perfect day, one of those rare ones actually, when we are both happy and there are no undercurrents of tension between us. Smell this, I said, offering my collar - he sniffed, then thought a bit, then sniffed again, and said "Well, that's interesting." This, coming from a man whose sole comment on my perfume in over ten years was to exclaim to our son one day, "Hey, mama sure smells like flowers, doesn't she?" (It was Coco, by the way). So, this was progress. I bought it. How could I not?

I smelled it again today, after a too-long hiatus, and what struck me about it was how the dryness of this actually reminds me of the shut up rooms and papers in our old rambling house in Ireland where I grew up. Our decrepit old house, built originally as a forge the year the Irish Famine began in 1845, was impossible to heat. All the rooms were cold, musty and damp. My brothers and I all wore about five layers of jumpers to survive the winters, and we all looked like the Stay Puft marshmallow man. My mum, a teacher, kept all her school papers and homework in a study, where it was left to gently decay over the years. Borneo smells powerfully of this noble, gentle rot, like greenish-blackish spots of damp colonizing reefs of forgotten papers. It smells like wooden boxes opened up again after years lying in moldy attics. It is incredible. Evocative and emotional, for me. God knows, I was deeply ashamed of our house growing up, but now, this woman who lives in the arse end of the dusty, hot Balkans is nostalgic for the smell of home. Borneo is the one that takes me there.

I don't find it to be very wearable, though. It is quite pungent and singular in focus compared to Coromandel, which I prefer as a wearable composition. However, Coromandel does not perform the same memory trick for me as Borneo does, so it is likely that I will hang on to Borneo and bring it out every now and then to smell it and be transported back to happy times. I know that Borneo and Coromandel get compared a lot, so for the purposes of reviewing this, I sprayed one arm with Borneo, and the other with Coromandel. You might say I had a patchouli-off! Yes, I can see the two points of intersection (the patchouli and the chocolate), but to me they are utterly different in tone and effect. Where Coromandel is creamy, luxuriant as a cat, and comforting, Borneo is raw, dry, and confrontational. Coromandel is the better composition, in my opinion, because it arranges all the notes in a symphony, where Borneo is more of a haiku - sparse and to the point. But Borneo strikes me as the more genuine and sincere of the two, as well as clearer in focus. It also has that memory box effect on me that Coromandel does and can not. There is room in my heart and my wardrobe for both of these.

11th June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

Chocolate. Patchouli. There’s not much more I want to say about Borneo 1834. It’s a simple, weird, and compelling accord – I’m just not sure that I like it. My preferences aside, this is a bold, original scent, and an outstanding take on patchouli. Just try it first!

09 June, 2014

Jack Hunter's avatar

Straight out of the gate you get a wonderful blend of Patchouli and rich dark cocoa mixed in with some warm spices.

There is a woody backdrop to this scent giving the scent a old world feeling. I get a image of oak barrels filled with cocoa and spices been brought onto ships from tropical lands.

To sum up a delightful old world earthy blend of patchouli and rich cocoa.

08 June, 2014

nogame's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Cardamom very noticeable. A hard landing. Smelling like a lot of people that have a structure that bends the nose.
          Middle notes of mint greeted us when we came to a resinous. Perfume does not appeal to the public. Certainly not everyone will like structure.
          When we come to the end of cocoa used very weak and uncertain. Patchouli is not very pronounced in the same way. The smell of cardamom and pepper are progressing in weight. Does not show much change.

23 April, 2014

Dane77's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Named after the year and provenance of the first South-East Asian patchouli to be introduced in Paris, Bornéo 1834 is a beautifully deep and earthy exercise on a warm tropical theme. After a sharp and intriguingly camphorous very brief opening, a glorious full-bodied patchouli soon emerges along with a distinctively dusty, almost powdery, cacao note. A typical Lutens feature, the underlying base consists primarily of sweet resins and various warm spices. After the rapid transformations in its initial phase, Bornéo 1834's subsequent development is very linear indeed, the patchouli-resins combination yielding a luxuriously deep and earthy sweetness that is both fulfilling and comforting, not to mention very long-lasting. In many ways a simple composition with a very clear and elegantly executed tropical theme, Bornéo 1834 is one of those truly great patchouli fragrances that you have to experience. Very highly recommended!

26 March, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A simple but a really good and high quality fragrance.
    There are 6 notes in it but you will smell mostly patchouli, cocoa and warm honey sweetness and other notes are almost impossible to detect!
    The opening is a strong, sharp and earthy patchouli note mixed with heavy honey sweetness and cocoa all together.
    The sweetness is strong and it's honey like. it doesn't smell like vanilla.
    It's very sexy and yummy type of sweetness and it's not potent or offensive at all.
    The sweetness tune down the wild and earthy patchouli very much, but still you can easily detect patchouli.
    The cocoa and honey sweetness notes creating a very sexy charming scent and beside those, strong and earthy patchouli note give it a really nice masculine kick.
    It's linear and you will have this combo to the end.
    Projection is great and longevity is 8-10 hours which is pretty good.
    I like it.
    Serge Lutens fragrances never disappointed me!

01st February, 2014