Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 190 ratings

Miel de Bois information

Miel de Bois is a unisex fragrance by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido. The scent was launched in 2005

Reviews of Miel de Bois

Showing 1 to 6 of 43 reviews.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Honeyed Woods and Gasoline

Many thanks to my friend Suga for this sample.

I have read some horror stories regarding Miel de Bois . I find no horror in this fragrance - just a natural raw honey note supported with beeswax and and cedary woodiness plus some Iso E Super which I feel is in there somewhere. As the scent becomes its own on my skin, there is an element of gasoline to the woods.I love that smell.

Totally unisex and a beautiful unusual scent . Typically Serge Lutens . I love it.

Pros: Unusual and beautiful
    Cons: Not to everyone's taste and price"

20th August, 2013

Elzéard's avatar

I have been dipped in honey. It is effortlessly natural.

25th January, 2013

Andrè Moreau's avatar

Only for a few moments you can smell the honey, then turn in a somewhat strange intense sweet note. Long duration. Not bad, but not for everybody.

17th November, 2012

zenman7's avatar

Singapore Singapore

This surprising, bold, unabashed, extremely artistic masterpiece is one of those wonderful fragrances that one could very easily assume as a signature fragrance but only because so few would have the gall or the balls to do likewise. The blasts of ebony and oak that leap out of the bottle on opening or first application to skin are so sharp, so acrid and so masterfully bold, so excessively masculine to the point of being almost gender bending (how could anything masculine be so strong perfume-wise you ask?)
    well, Serge Lutens and Christopher Sheldrake must have been intent on creating something very personal when they sat down to this wonder.
    The honey is laced strong and unforgiving throughout but never ponderously so, next to the incredible sweetness of the liquid honey there is the bitterness of beeswax burning slowly, welling up and overflowing on an altar, an altar made up of burnt, smoked hardwoods.There is the treacle, urinary, ammoniac sillage of a hive broken open by a brute bear, but it somehow all combines into a music that resonates, one of those dynamic to and fros that is the hallmark of daring and genius.
    Intense, sweet, bitter, smokey.
    Miel de Bois!
    I am sure if I was some fading violet, some polite office citizen, some well-bred, happy lawyer I would hate this fragrance.
    That I am none of the above is a great source of joy to me and it was inevitable that a rare and precious bottle of Miel de Bois would be gifted to me by a banker of great perception "It seems made for you!" were his words as he let the box fall into my hands.
    Eternally grateful, I then realised that bottles of this wonder are only to be had at the Palais Royal shop in Paris.

It is fitting that I made the pilgrimage yesterday and walked away with 2 bell bottles.

For those who like strong, sharp scents beautifully crafted and balanced.
    Divisive, sensuous, beautiful, borderline.

19th June, 2012

Klute's avatar

I have quite conflicting feelings about this. I love the honey note (to me it is more beeswax), but I don't like the barnyard/cat pee thing going on there, I don't think it compliments the honey. To me, the honey is so syrupy it would be better to alleviate it a bit with something fresh. But this scent makes me feel sticky, like I've covered myself in that stuff they use in waxing studios. Or like I'm a fly trapped in a carnivorous plant, my feet sticking to the leaf and I can't get away...AAARRRGGGHHH! This the only fragrance I can think of that actually evokes a feeling of texture in me - but not in good way.

EDIT: I just let my DH smell my wrist. He gasped with disgust and said: "There's just one word to describe this: No." :laugh:

25th March, 2012

dollars&scents's avatar

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens - Upon application, one is treated to a sharp, somewhat harsh, dressed lumber accord. Ebony contributes its oily and ashy facets. Oakwood bestows its silage-like, sweetly sour yogurt character, with a urinous undertone. And, gaiacwood supplies its sweetish smokiness and faint rubber aspects. This sawmill illusion transitions to the faveolate middle. Here, in the mellifluous heart, thick, raw, ripened honey wafts vehemently with its alluring sweetness and spicy character, while an ever so slight ovine, some might say urinous, phantom presents. An herbally aromatic and subtly coniferous incense imparts a low-keyed, ceremonious backdrop. Segueing to the base, one is subsumed within the busyness of a honeycomb. A honeyed beeswax, incorporating the prized, unprocessed honey itself, entrails of bees as well as the fruity, floral and animalic propolis, presents. You can almost hear the cracking of the propolis. A stately iris imparts its somewhat powdery and violet-like coolness. A hint of clover scatters its sweet, haylike element. And, an evocative hawthorn instills its light, sweetish almond highlight as well as its pungent, rancidly decomposing element and vague whiffs of vaginal secretions. A charged drydown ensues. This titillating composition can be an all-season scent, and leans most certainly to the masculine side. A well-constructed fragrance, it has average projection and excellent longevity.

07th March, 2012