Ta'If (2004)

HouseOrmonde Jayne
PerfumerLinda Pilkington
PerfumerGeza Schoen

About Ta'If

Ta'If is a feminine perfume by Ormonde Jayne. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Geza Schoen and Linda Pilkington

Ta'If fragrance notes

Reviews of Ta'If

A dry dusty rose, very faint and restrained.

When I read Turin's description of Ta'if as a "peppery floral," I was expecting something along the lines of Perles de Lalique or Coriandre. In those the pepper and patchouli drew the rose center down to deep, dark realms.

I find Ta'if, for my nose, to resemble the scent from roses that have dried and are either on their way to potpourri or to be tied with a ribbon and hung from the rafters.

I get none of the other notes listed, just a dry, dusty rose. Nice, but unremarkable.
27th January, 2016
Ta’if is one of those fragrances where I seem to be experiencing something completely different to everyone else. People use the words “rich”, “dark”, and “exotic” to describe it and suggest a texture as heavy as velvet – close to Lyric Woman or Portrait of a Lady even – whereas all I experience is a sheer peppery floral layered over a musky, dried-fruit base. Even the praline/date note is sheer and sort of dry.

I don’t even experience the rose in this as straight-up rose but as a big, blowsy peach and orange blossom chiffonade, with only brief flashes here and there of something that might be interpreted as a tart, green rose swimming in the murk. The peachy, powdery feel of the fragrance makes me think of something cheap and functional I used to use when I was a teenager - the Impulse O2 body spray perhaps, or a deodorant spray, I don’t know. So each wearing of Ta’if comes with a huge helping of nostalgia and wistfulness that clouds my judgment of the fragrance itself.

The dry down is a slightly powdery musk with a streak of dates running through it – a very pretty end, and also quite a deliberately “perfumey” one, I think. It doesn’t tilt you too literally in the direction of any one particular note, but bathes you in a pink-tinged miasma of musk, fruit, orange blossoms, and caramel that reminds me of some of the prettier dry downs in designer perfumery, such as Coco Mademoiselle, or Elie Saab.

So, not the rose of my dreams, or even a rose at all (to my nose), but it sure wins on the account of being a winningly pretty peach and white floral. Its popularity goes to show that you can market what is basically a designer perfume to people at niche prices if the marketing is pitched right and if its appeal is broad enough (for which read, a universally-appealing charm).
17th January, 2016
I have an uneasy relationship with florals, so I was cautiously optimistic with this one. I blew me away...in a good way. The saffron, pepper and dates hold this rose back from crossing over into cloying, like so many others do....or into a sticky-sweet mess. It's a warm, slightly heady fragrance, but somehow stays fresh. On me, it turns into a skin-scent at about hour two, but never loses it's rosiness. In all, gorgeous.
20th February, 2015
The opening may seem a tad perfumey to some, with a melange of notes that to my nose are far too well-blended for individual components to be identified with any degree of certainty. I could not tell if saffron or date are actually part of the picture. What is in evidence however is its ascerbic floral piquancy that gradually resolves into a soapish if slightly fruity rose. A desert rose in its early stages of bloom, as I imagined.

And what an elegant rose this is! The beauty lies in the way the Ta'if rose is presented and supported. It stays fresh yet deftly sidesteps the intensely green shrillness of tomato stems, with a dash of spices sustaining its peppery vibrancy. The ambery oriental base provides a more than adequate foundation but thanks to the perfumer's judgment, it remains subservient to the central floral accord even long into the dry down. Projection and longevity on skin are both excellent.

Can a man wear Ta'If? Absolutely. But on the right woman, it could well be a weapon of mass seduction.
22nd September, 2014
Genre: Floral Oriental

Tai’if is a spicy rose that goes on sharp and acidic but soon settles into a more agreeable dry woody-green groove. I’m reminded of Diptyque’s L’Ombre dans l’Eau, but drier, and with some warm Near Eastern spices sprinkled on top. In fact, when I think about it, I’m reminded even more of Diptyque’s Opone. Lo and behold, Ta’if’s pyramid lists saffron, which besides rose is the dominant note in Opone.

Tai’if is very quiet for this kind of scent, and its green tinge renders it wearable for either gender. Ta’if marks my traversal of the entire Ormonde Jayne range, and it stands as one of my favorites in the line. Good stuff, if not terribly exciting, but apparently meant to appeal to more staid tastes than mine.
05th July, 2014
I find Rose fragrances very tough. I love the sweetness of real old-fashioned lines of roses (before genetic tinkering to improve their stability for shipping and longevity bred out any scent from the petals), but as a soliflore, rose perfume can smell soapy and cloying, conjuring up memories of lingerie drawer paper or those awful little guest soaps. I love this floriental! Begins with a subtle whiff of pink pepper, blossoms into a lush pink rose, rounded out by a base of Amber. Feminine, but not girly. Slightly mysterious, but approachable. I wear this during the day all the time. I think the sillage is appropriate for work. (Thank goodness the male olfactory nerve seems to be less sensitive than mine!) Regarding Creed Fleur de Thé Rose, I found it unidimensional and insipid. I sampled about twenty high end/niche rose fragrances and this was the clear winner!
11th March, 2014

Add your review of Ta'If

Shop for Ta'If products online

Shop for Ta'If at online perfumeries

Ormonde Jayne TA'IF 8ml Eau de Parfum Travel Spray

2 x Ormonde Jayne TA'IF 2ml Eau de Parfum Natural Spray Vial

End Date: Friday Feb-22-2019 11:33:08 PST
Buy It Now for only: $21.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Ormonde Jayne Ta'If 2ml Bottles New In Box! Fast Shipping!

End Date: Wednesday Feb-27-2019 8:00:53 PST

Ormonde Jayne 13 samples Black Gold Rose Nawab of Oudh Montabaco Tolu Ta'if QI

End Date: Friday Mar-15-2019 7:51:46 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $89.99

Member images of Ta'If

There are no member images of Ta'If yet. Why not be the first?