Ormonde Man (2004)

Year of Launch2004

HouseOrmonde Jayne
PerfumerLinda Pilkington

About Ormonde Man

Ormonde Man is a masculine fragrance by Ormonde Jayne. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Linda Pilkington

Ormonde Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Ormonde Man

It is refined no doubt, but almost refined to the point that it becomes over-balanced. It feels like Ormondo Jayne is so eager to express almost every statement of modern masculine fragrances - it loses distinction to its voice.

But on the other hand, it DOES express almost every statement of what i associate with modern masculinity in perfumes, and it does every one of those statements better than most. Beautifully balanced and without a trace of dissonance.

Effortless elegance, but a tiny bit boring.
13th April, 2015
The opening of Ormonde Man is quite bold and almost overwhelming at first; all I smell is a slightly syrupy sandalwood note, citrus, spices (a load of cumin and red pepper), vetiver, cedar, and a strong salty note with a slight camphor aftertaste that I guess comes from musk. Basically, imagine a bold woody-spicy scent with a sweet-salty vein, and a vibrant Mediterranean aromatic herbal breeze (juniper?). The oud note is really light, more just a dark medicinal feel on the base. That’s pretty much it, for hours. Frankly this fragrance left me completely indifferent: I find it quite static, cloyingly thick, and too “powerfully generic” to be at least “safely” refined or elegant. Honestly it smells to me like whatever spicy-fresh-boisé designer scent, just “on steroids”, louder and more concentrated. Not bad, but... meh!

15th January, 2015
Genre: Woods

2008:
If Ormonde Man were a color, it would be charcoal gray. It goes on dusty-dry and herbal, smelling of rosemary, pepper, and sage. A tightly integrated oudh accentuates the peppery accord, which is sweetened only slightly by spices in the background. All of this rests upon foundation of sharp-edged woods and vetiver, and though no incense notes are listed, the combination of oudh and spices leaves me with the impression of a dry, craggy incense fragrance. Ormonde Man’s mossy, vetiver-flavored drydown is both rugged and austere – I only wish it lasted longer. The fragrance runs its course within two or three hours, even when applied generously. After a few days’ wear I've decided that I like the stuff but it hasn’t knocked my socks off. And at Ormonde Jaynes’s price point and two hours duration, it would need to leave my toes showing.

2010:
I’ve been revisiting some of the Ormonde Jayne scents, and while I have found one or two my thoughts have evolved on, Ormonde Man is something else altogether. In this case, I’d hardly recognize the scent I’m wearing from my previous description. Yes, I smell the oudh, the aromatics, and the pepper, but all are cloaked in such a brisk, green, resinous conifer accord that I’d hardly characterize the overall effect as “dusty-dry.” If anything, it’s the smell of my adopted home’s soaring conifer forests after a cool spring rain. “Charcoal gray?” No, dark green is more like it.

I’m not smelling incense this time around, nor would I describe the vetiver and wood base notes as “sharp-edged.” Rugged and craggy, yes, but too rounded to be truly “austere.” The scent is now lasting much longer on me -or I’m habituating less rapidly. In any case, I’m getting far more than two hours’ wear out of Ormonde Man, though the scent is without question understated at all times. In short, I like it much better the second time around, and will obtain a bottle for my spring wardrobe forthwith.
22nd June, 2014
This fragrance opens up with a very fresh and pleasant, but also very generic combination of bergamot that give the scent a fresh and tart citrusy aroma and also juniper that give the scent a green and herbal and at the same time sweet fruity feeling.
I can smell some woods too but it's in the background.
It's fresh, fruity, soapy with some woods and some green notes.
The opening was pleasant and kind of disappointing for me but things got very interesting in the dry down and base of the fragrance.
As time goes by, the scent has that fresh and herbal aroma in a nicer and smoother way, but it gets woodier and darker and suddenly some spices joined in and this is the lovely part of this fragrance.
The dry down and base are bitter dark woody scent of oud and cedar with noticeable amount of pepper and some fruits and citruses in the background plus a little amount of vanilla.
Projection is OK and longevity is around 6-8 hours on my skin.
The base of the fragrance is woody and spicy but it's not that strong and also because of those fresh and green notes you will have a versatile fragrance which you can wear all year round.
There is nothing unique and different about it but it's very pleasant, versatile, well balanced and wearable.
30th January, 2014
Post modern take on old day scent. Herbal green, pepper undertones. Oriental woody, spicy juniper, woody drydown. Low duration for an edp
25th September, 2013 (last edited: 29th December, 2013)
On first application to your skin you get a really invigorating blast of fresh spicy juniper berries and bergamot which leads into a spicy creamy heart of woods and pepper. Mixed in with this is the oud and cardamom and other spices.

The opening is really good then it seems to settle down to boring creamy woody accord. But this is where I nearly misjudged this fragrance because I was smelling this up very close on my wrist.

When I went out the scent transformed and unfurled into a amazing haze of subtle green sappy spices and creamy woods all around me. It was subtle but smelling this scent when it takes to the air was very different from up close.

It smelled really good but in a enigmatic way where I was at a loss how to interpret what I was smelling as it was different from what I'm used to. It must be the oud and hemlock notes in this giving the green spicy notes a air of mystery.

Good fragrance and one that must be smelled when it takes to the air and surrounds you and not judged too quickly by smelling it up close.
03rd April, 2013

Add your review of Ormonde Man

Shop for Ormonde Man products online

Shop for Ormonde Man at online perfumeries

Ormonde Man (EDP, 50ml)

Search Amazon for Ormonde Man

Member images of Ormonde Man

There are no member images of Ormonde Man yet. Why not be the first?