Lovely (2005)

PackagingChad Lavigne
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchBenckiser > Coty Inc > Lancaster Group > Lancaster

About Lovely

Lovely is a feminine perfume by Sarah Jessica Parker. The scent was launched in 2005 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Laurent Le Guernec and Clement Gavarry. The bottle was designed by Chad Lavigne

Lovely fragrance notes

Reviews of Lovely

Lovely is the first perfume by the mega-popular star of Sex and the City, whose name has been in the fashion and beauty magazines for 20 years - Sarah Jessica Parker. In collaboration with the house of Coty, Sarah launched her first perfume in 2005 and despite a negative opinion about celebrity perfumes, it was almost instantly at the top of the best quality perfume creations of the 21st century. Lovely inspired many, from well-known perfume reviewer Chandler Burr who dedicated an entire book to Lovely, called „The Perfect Scent: A year inside the Perfume industry“ to other people, like myself, to think about what makes one perfume lovely.

Loveliness. We all know what it is. We’ve seen it in romantic movies, read about it in tales of well known epic love stories and maybe even noticed it in the way rose petals sway when the wind blows. Do we know, however, anyone who possesses loveliness in their behaviour? Maybe some little girl, not yet corrupted by the world, a woman who never ever believed that being a woman is something lesser, even the elderly man, who cherishes this world in his kind and loving way, smiling, knowing that time could not touch him. Loveliness is timeless, and whispers to us through children’s laughter, feathery clouds…and Lovely.

This perfume gives us a lesson on loveliness. Its presence is modest and subtle. It’s delightful, but doesn’t bind us, it let us freely enjoy its scented notes.

Lovely is simple, but mysteriously unfathomable. Musk and lavender speak clearly with just a hint of mandarin and bergamot. It calms us down but does not allow us to fall asleep, because loveliness itself is located between dreamy sweetness and radiant energy. It allows you to be charming and gentle, characteristics that only a strong individual can allow himself to be like that. Large and sturdy oak a storm can break, but a gentle and flexible cane is left unharmed by the wind. Therefore start your day with a smile on your face and a few sprays of Lovely and show the world that you can win by being graceful.

Lovely is the ideal scent for spring, for during the day and carrying on into the evening. The price is not high and is ideal as a gift for someone’s first as well as their last perfume because loveliness is timeless.

It is designed for all women, from 7 to 107 years and occasionally some men who are so strong and unaffected by stereotypes that they are willing to show their gentler side. Although it is designed for women, scented oils from which Lovely is made of develops fantastically on men's skin. Whoever chooses this fragrance has my respect, because... you need to be really strong and tough to be lovely.
04th November, 2017
If you like mediocrity in all things -go for it.
31st December, 2016
I absolutely adored this perfume when it first came out – full-on, love at first sniff, couldn't wait to put it on again and again and again adoration. But I was on a very limited budget at the time, so I had to make do with a couple of tiny sample bottles, which I eked out very slowly, until the price dropped enough to be able to afford a full bottle. I loved it and I got so many comments on it whenever I wore it, and I’m probably on my fourth bottle (at least) of this – with a full, unopened box in my drawer (a Christmas present from one of my girlfriends). On me, this goes on in a soft, pretty, warm, floral cloud. It takes a while for the individual notes to come through, then after around an hour or so, the cedar, pepper, musk, patchouli and orange come through. Two hours in the bergamot and martini peep out. This perfume is true to its name – a lovely, soft, elegant floral. It makes me think of big, soft, fluffy pink clouds – it’s a scent that you sink into, soft, warm and comforting, and it lasts amazingly well. Although I don’t really care what time of day or night I wear a perfume, with this one, I tend to wear it to work more than anywhere else – I seem to overlook it when I’m looking for something to wear out at night or on the weekend. One of the ladies I work with wears it too, and I can always tell when she does – the sillage is amazing and it smells beautiful on her. All of that said, it’s been quite a while since I’ve worn this – in fact it would probably be at least a year, as I’ve not touched the bottle once this year. And it’s still pretty, but I’m said to say that don’t love it as I once did – it doesn’t make me feel happy like it once did. In fact, it makes me feel kind of, not sad exactly, but muted – not happy, but not sad either, and ever-so-slightly irritated, and antsy, and a bit anxious, and frustrated, and wanting more – oh. Ohhhhhhh…I just realised why all of that sounded/felt so familiar. It was pretty much what I felt like when I realised I’d fallen out of love. With an ex. Yep – I’ve fallen out of love with this, except this is a much more pleasant break-up ;) I still like it, and can admire it because it is a beautiful fragrance, but I don’t love it anymore – it’s just not for me anymore and don’t know if I’ll wear it again because I’m feeling so “meh” about it. Shame, because this was truly one of my favourite perfumes, for a very long time. I'm still giving it a thumbs up for old time's sake though and because it really is a lovely fragrance.
07th August, 2016
A pale generic woody floral.

Very chemical smelling, very light, almost nonexistent scent.

I cannot detect any of the notes listed. Ms. Parker certainly did not spend a great deal of cash on oil concentrations.

In contrast to the Emperor's New Clothes, this may well be the Empress's New Scent - in other words, none.
10th February, 2016
Bought a partial bottle of this to smell as I was reading Chandler Burr's book, "The Perfect Scent." I can't say that I love this fragrance -- it's not quirky enough for me to love -- but it's a very pretty, young, and eminently likable fragrance, with just enough masculine and non-floral notes to keep it from being as prissy and conventional as its packaging might suggest. I'll wear it from time to time because I feel like I "know" it after reading the book and learning about its creation.
13th November, 2015
Genre: Chypre

The top notes include a detestable air freshener synthetic hyacinth, but once that settles down the rest of the scent reveals itself as a very pleasant, upbeat, sweet floral and wood composition: a kind of Ivoire-meets-Flower by Kenzo. A mere trace of the opening hyacinth lingers in the background, but in the company of the primary accord its sharp, green flavor provides a measure of welcome balance and contrast to the prevailing sweetness. The whole thing is clean and snappy, but also playful in a way that traditional green floral chypres never are.

In its bright, translucent texture Lovely reminds me of such crisp green florals as Drôle de Rose, Une Zeste de Rose, and Eau du Ciel, and I’m encouraged to find this happy aesthetic trickling down from niche perfumery into a mass market celebrity fragrance. Lovely is reasonably potent and projects well off of the skin, leaving plenty of sillage in the air. Once the notes arrange themselves into their central pattern the development is linear for a few hours, after which the floral notes peel away to reveal a drydown of clean musk and brisk woods, primarily cedar. This is altogether a much nicer scent than I’d expected, and I wouldn’t be embarrassed to find my daughter running around in it.
19th June, 2014

Add your review of Lovely

Shop for Lovely products online

Shop for Lovely at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Lovely

Member images of Lovely

There are no member images of Lovely yet. Why not be the first?