Lovely (2005)

PackagingChad Lavigne
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchBenckiser > Coty Inc > Lancaster Group > Lancaster

About Lovely

Lovely is a feminine perfume by Sarah Jessica Parker. The scent was launched in 2005 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Laurent Le Guernec and Clement Gavarry. The bottle was designed by Chad Lavigne

Lovely fragrance notes

Reviews of Lovely

If you like mediocrity in all things -go for it.
31st December, 2016
I absolutely adored this perfume when it first came out full-on, love at first sniff, couldn't wait to put it on again and again and again adoration. But I was on a very limited budget at the time, so I had to make do with a couple of tiny sample bottles, which I eked out very slowly, until the price dropped enough to be able to afford a full bottle. I loved it and I got so many comments on it whenever I wore it, and Im probably on my fourth bottle (at least) of this with a full, unopened box in my drawer (a Christmas present from one of my girlfriends). On me, this goes on in a soft, pretty, warm, floral cloud. It takes a while for the individual notes to come through, then after around an hour or so, the cedar, pepper, musk, patchouli and orange come through. Two hours in the bergamot and martini peep out. This perfume is true to its name a lovely, soft, elegant floral. It makes me think of big, soft, fluffy pink clouds its a scent that you sink into, soft, warm and comforting, and it lasts amazingly well. Although I dont really care what time of day or night I wear a perfume, with this one, I tend to wear it to work more than anywhere else I seem to overlook it when Im looking for something to wear out at night or on the weekend. One of the ladies I work with wears it too, and I can always tell when she does the sillage is amazing and it smells beautiful on her. All of that said, its been quite a while since Ive worn this in fact it would probably be at least a year, as Ive not touched the bottle once this year. And its still pretty, but Im said to say that dont love it as I once did it doesnt make me feel happy like it once did. In fact, it makes me feel kind of, not sad exactly, but muted not happy, but not sad either, and ever-so-slightly irritated, and antsy, and a bit anxious, and frustrated, and wanting more oh. OhhhhhhhI just realised why all of that sounded/felt so familiar. It was pretty much what I felt like when I realised Id fallen out of love. With an ex. Yep Ive fallen out of love with this, except this is a much more pleasant break-up ;) I still like it, and can admire it because it is a beautiful fragrance, but I dont love it anymore its just not for me anymore and dont know if Ill wear it again because Im feeling so meh about it. Shame, because this was truly one of my favourite perfumes, for a very long time. I'm still giving it a thumbs up for old time's sake though and because it really is a lovely fragrance.
07th August, 2016
A pale generic woody floral.

Very chemical smelling, very light, almost nonexistent scent.

I cannot detect any of the notes listed. Ms. Parker certainly did not spend a great deal of cash on oil concentrations.

In contrast to the Emperor's New Clothes, this may well be the Empress's New Scent - in other words, none.
10th February, 2016
Bought a partial bottle of this to smell as I was reading Chandler Burr's book, "The Perfect Scent." I can't say that I love this fragrance -- it's not quirky enough for me to love -- but it's a very pretty, young, and eminently likable fragrance, with just enough masculine and non-floral notes to keep it from being as prissy and conventional as its packaging might suggest. I'll wear it from time to time because I feel like I "know" it after reading the book and learning about its creation.
13th November, 2015
Genre: Chypre

The top notes include a detestable air freshener synthetic hyacinth, but once that settles down the rest of the scent reveals itself as a very pleasant, upbeat, sweet floral and wood composition: a kind of Ivoire-meets-Flower by Kenzo. A mere trace of the opening hyacinth lingers in the background, but in the company of the primary accord its sharp, green flavor provides a measure of welcome balance and contrast to the prevailing sweetness. The whole thing is clean and snappy, but also playful in a way that traditional green floral chypres never are.

In its bright, translucent texture Lovely reminds me of such crisp green florals as Drle de Rose, Une Zeste de Rose, and Eau du Ciel, and Im encouraged to find this happy aesthetic trickling down from niche perfumery into a mass market celebrity fragrance. Lovely is reasonably potent and projects well off of the skin, leaving plenty of sillage in the air. Once the notes arrange themselves into their central pattern the development is linear for a few hours, after which the floral notes peel away to reveal a drydown of clean musk and brisk woods, primarily cedar. This is altogether a much nicer scent than Id expected, and I wouldnt be embarrassed to find my daughter running around in it.
19th June, 2014
review by thanks sixx

I just received my bottle of Lovely. Eight years late, but oh well.

The opening is very floral, which I expected. I didn't recognize the lavender until about 10 minutes in, although it is listed as a top note. This may be my inexperience showing through.

My brain kept registering lily-of-the-valley, but lo and behold, the white floral influence is paperwhites, a daffodil! How clever of SJP to throw something so unexpected into the mix (well.... she personally didn't formulate it, but she did approve it).

Anyone who grows paperwhite bulbs indoors knows you either love or loathe the scent.

I'm not a big fan, but for some reason, it works in Lovely. It provides a white floral fragrance with a "dirty edge," totally unexpected from a pale pink juice in a very feminine-shaped bottle.

There is just enough earthiness in the drydown to keep this from being a run-of-the-mill floral perfume. It is definitely more Carrie Bradshaw than Charlotte York (for fans of Sex In The City).

I don't buy celebrity perfume, per se. I don't care who's name is on the bottle. My sole concern is what the juice smells like on my skin.

After reading Chandler Burr's book, I felt compelled to try Lovely. I think what sold me is how involved Ms. Parker was in the creation of the first commercial perfume to bear her name.

Her involvement and passion paid off, figuratively and, I assume , literally.

Autumn is in full swing on the US east coast. I can wear Lovely today, and am also pretty sure I can still wear it when the weather heats up in spring.

I did not expect to enjoy this perfume as much as I do.

Great job, Coty.

Superb job, Ms. Parker.

28th September, 2013

Add your review of Lovely

Shop for Lovely products online

Shop for Lovely at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Lovely

Member images of Lovely

There are no member images of Lovely yet. Why not be the first?