Acqua di Biella No. 1 (1872)
    by Acqua di Biella

Reintroduced in 2000

Shop for Acqua di Biella No. 1 products online

100ml Cologne

Reviews of Acqua di Biella No. 1

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.
    positive No Positive Reviews • neutral8 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Colin Maillard's avatar

Acqua di Biella N. 1 is an ultra-classic and quite conventional masculine "eau de cologne", structured on a texture of lavender, citrus, mossy notes. Several nuances sound a bit artificial and plastic to me, mostly on the base, where lies this nondescript, blurry rubbery-dusty-synthetic smell that does not really convince me that much. Other than that it has however a decent "rich" mossy heart (obviously built around evernyl, don't expect any "real" mossiness) and a nice "Italian barbershop" mood overall, especially on the drydown. Short persistence. Nothing to go mad for, and nothing different from dozens of other classic male colognes, but at least the price seems (almost) fair.

5,5-6/10

02nd August, 2014

Barbora's avatar

Upon application, Acqua di Biella No. 1 gives a lovely burst of lavender citrus - a very pleasant scent with whispers of mint and bergamot. Unfortunately, the fragrance disappears on dry down - disappears completely, even after multiple applications. Not a hint on it remained after 30 minutes. The warmth of my breath couldn't revive it.

I'm generally a fan of this category of fragrance, clean, soap and water type scents that are typified by Philosophy's Pure Grace, Victoria's Secret Pink Fruity & Bright and the mother (perhaps grandmother) of all clean soap & water scents, Jean Nate.

Although, Acqua di Biella No. 1 would probably be a more interesting fragrance if it lasted, my choice of this type of scent is still Philosophy's Pure Grace. The price and staying power of Pure Grace are what make it the clear winner in my book.

13th May, 2010

scentsitivity's avatar

Herbs and citrus, mint and lavender, but mostly indolic jasmine on me. None of the reviewers here note the jasmine, but thankfully one of the comments at luckyscent reflects my experience. Rather unremarkable and not worth the price.

14th March, 2010

Lots of citrus and citrus-like notes in this one, and the accords are quite spectacular. The herbals used in conjunction with the citrus augment the citruses almost silently, leaving the impression that itís all about citrusÖ but it isnít all about citrus, itís about richness and delicate variance in the citrus accords: It is as beautiful use of citrus as Iíve seenÖ Unfortunately, the beauty lasts all of ten minutes, and the fragrance becomes an uninteresting, extremely soft skin scent that lasts another half hour on my skin. I understand the concept of sandcastles, but Iím not into sandcastles built on the shore as the tide is coming inÖ This fragrance needs to last longerÖ

19th August, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Old fashioned fruity spicy. Man! Lavender all at once in the beginning! Mint, too. Very weak since it's an EdC. I detect the neroli early on (smells a little like Creed's Neroli Sauvage). Very nice but also very linear. Not that that is a bad thing. Smells like my lavender, mint and sage herb garden I have outback.

10th June, 2008

Scentologist's avatar

No 1 opens with a slight "Old World" feel. I agree that the mint and lavender play the major roles in this act. Upon first waft, mint water comes to mind. I say water because it literally conjures emotions of running water due to the EDC concentration. Upon further examination, I realize the lavender yields an earthy quality, and if shaved root bark soaked in water. For me, this note is dischordant and adds a bitter tinge that disrupts the composition and is incongrous with what the fragrance wants to be. The lavender also keeps the mint and bay. The mint is struggling to come out and play but remains reserved as if there is no confidence to socialize. I don't detect any of the other notes off hand. Overall, it smell fresh and good enough but rather fleeting. It would be hard to absorb the purchase price for this EDC. For real stunner however, check out Baraja by Acqua di Biella which is in my opinion, redemption for this house! I give No 1 a 4.5/10 earining it a neutral rating if you round up.

07th April, 2008