True Star Men (2005)

AvailabilityDiscontinued

HouseTommy Hilfiger
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies > Aramis and Designer Fragrances

About True Star Men

Fronted by Enrique Iglesias, this scent's target market is 18 to 35-year-olds, though Hilfiger reckon's it will appeal to men from 16 to 60. make your minds up then!
The bottle is inspired by the shape of a microphone

True Star Men fragrance notes

Reviews of True Star Men

The opening is a mix of a reasonable grapefruit with a steely-metallic fresh impression. In the drydown I get liquorice, but is quite faint, as is the rather generic wood note in the base; towards the end a slim vanilla emerges, which is o limited sweetness. Limited projection and poor silage on my skin, but the longevity is quite decent at around five hours.
Interesting opening but a bit dull from then on.
11th July, 2014
Discovered this scent many years ago. I think this is one of the scents that Hilfiger got right. Very aquatic and leathery smelling to me which seems to be a unique combination. Smells good on cool days and warm nights. As picky as my wife is about the colognes I wear she likes this one.
23rd March, 2012
I always was verry fond of this scent, I never got around to buy it mainly becouse of the fact that most people in my city used this at the time. I'd discribe this scent as "Le Male but better done". Weird I know but thats what came to my mind when I first tried it.
17th October, 2010
Oh how much ones nose can change. The first time I smelled this it smelled like watermelon and cucumber. A generic fresh aquatic. I questioned myself, did I smell this? Or maybe it was Tommy 10?

Regardless, I am glad I picked this guy up. At Walmart for 20 bucks I got a 2 pack of 1 oz bottles -- True Star and Tommy. Tommy is a high school classic scent to me. True Star is different, and along with Tommy, it's very unique for a designer fragrance.

The TH house doesn't get much attention, but this fragrance deserves it. It's niche-like. It's very woodsy yet also very aquatic. The "wet notes" are definitley there. The top is a combination of woods and anise. Or perhaps it's licorice. I'd say anise though, since it smells more vegetable like, and dirty. Result: mulch. Yes it smells like freshly chipped mulch. It stays pretty linear, with the combo of mulch and wet notes. A nice sharper cedar or sandalwood comes in in the dry down.

An excellent modern woodsy scent. Great bang for the buck. Niche quality. I would love to know the perfumer behind this one, because he/she/they knocked this one out of the ball park.
27th February, 2010 (last edited: 30th March, 2012)
I do not agree with the statement that this is for 18-35s. I'd add half a dozen years to the lower, and ten or more to the upper end. Maybe that's what happens with all men's fragrances, over time there is age migration, because the fickle young and cool wannabes move on to the next new thing. A fragrance has to grab a non super-young audience, or die.

I like the instant clean grapefruit/sweet lemony element, there might even be a very slight trace of warm honey also, and this instant element mix has some staying power. After a time, a wet leathery, black liquorice emerges without being overpowering. This mixed nicely with the sweet first wave. There is ultimately a whiff that, indeed, as someone else hinted at, hits a bit like laundry water with fresh scent detergent in it.

I don't perceive the advertised sandalwood, which is completely fine by me, because too many men's scents these days are too musky/woody. True Star is a nice anti-wood option.

The scent is not strong, so I'd apply near sweat glands, the side of the neck, or toward the front opening of a v-neck or buttoned shirt. I'm looking forward to wearing this one on a sunny day next Spring, as I think it may be most suitable for Spring/Summer.
10th November, 2009
This is one of the most unique smelling colognes. Its hard to describe. The initial blast is a blend of licorice and some boozy accord kind of like a pleasant/ light whiskey with some aquatic and citrus mixed in. It is pretty linear but it does dry down to a more warm scent as the vanilla and saffron kind of takes over. There's also something about this that reminds me of the smell of a a clean leather jacket. Overall, I love it. I just wish it had better silage and longevity. Thumbs up
23rd February, 2009

Add your review of True Star Men

Shop for True Star Men products online

Shop for True Star Men at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for True Star Men

Member images of True Star Men

There are no member images of True Star Men yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to True Star Men