White Patchouli (2008)

HouseTom Ford
SupplierGivaudan
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About White Patchouli

White Patchouli is a feminine perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2008

Reviews of White Patchouli

Sometimes I apply scent to help myself feel more dressed and fully stimulated--to help myself sit up straighter. Other times, I use it to help myself feel more less constricted and more relaxed--to help ease my nerves. In those moments, I want something undemanding, something free of too much prissy femininity, something firm but quiet--and something, above all, predictable.

Lavender will do, as will vetiver, but sometimes the former becomes boring and the latter gloomy. Lately, I've added White Patchouli, which is becoming almost a daily ritual, something I use as a stimulant in the morning, or a signal that the hard part of the day is over.

I surprised myself when I liked this stuff, since I really didn't expect to find anything here. The idea of a "clean" patchouli seems oxymoronic, but this stuff works. It hooks a good, camphorated shot of patchouli that clears the head and cools the skin onto a dark rose that fades to a moist ambrette, which settles into a pleasant fug that hangs very close to the skin. Not much happens, but not much needs to happen when something makes you feel so calm and stimulated at the same time. This is what I want, at the moment, from an everyday, wear-around-the-house fragrance.

This perfume is the opposite of thought-provoking. It's just a comfortable scent that feels welcome in the context where I wear it, because I'm usually getting out of or into pajamas when I put this on. No grand statements here--just a sense of feeling at ease with the world.
28th April, 2016
My wife purchased WP about a month ago and I can always tell when she's wearing it. To me it's a pretty elegant and feminine patchouli scent that is pleasingly light. Owning several masculine patchouli fragrances, I find the WP composition an accurate and fairly authentic patchouli that has just enough floral note to sweeten it. It is somewhat linear, in that it smells exactly the same every time I smell it, same in the morning as in the end of the day. My wife does say it starts off a bit detergent like but settles into a sweetened patchouli after about 30 minutes. I like it and give it a Thumbs Up.
08th December, 2015
This certainly does have the laundry detergent whiff of which other reviewers have complained. For me, though, this element helps to clean up the "un-brushed teeth" smell which pervades this and many other offerings from Tom Ford (it predominates after the pineol dissipates in Italian Cypress, for example).

The rest is unremarkable 'elevator music': sloppy, castrated patchouli, generic synthetic florals, and sloppy citrus.

For something along the same lines, but executed much better, try Alyssa Ashley Essence de Patchouli.
12th October, 2015
White Patchouli by Tom Ford has been criticized for being too sterile and for drying down to laundry detergent. While, I do not entirely disagree with this—yes, the patchouli is cleaned-up, and yes the musk is a little like laundry detergent—the fragrance somehow holds its own among all of the other designer fruity patchouli offerings. Instead of a heavy dose of benzoin, tonka, or candy, this patchouli is balanced by white florals—the best example of this can be found in Noir Patchouli by Histoires de Parfums, which is a take no prisoners type of fragrance. WP, on the other hand, is an approachable option for people who want a patchouli fragrance but are not looking for candy. I can’t think of many other fragrances that provide this option. Pleasures by EL has an army of flankers and it’s too bad one of them doesn’t feature a large dose of patchouli (sans candy) because, as WP has demonstrated, it actually does work.

PS—If you really like the opening of WP, but are disappointed by the dry down, try applying a little coconut oil to your skin before applying. Spraying on hair and clothing can also help.
26th July, 2015
Salutation.

A perfectly balance between tradition and modernity is one of the best characteristics in TOM FORD fragrances in my mind.Regardless this EDP is not as Special&Seductive as BLACK ORCHID but for me this chypre floral is still both Strong and Wildly Alluring but not in a decadent way. Fresh,Chic,Subtle, Sensuous,Captivating,Exotic and Laudable.

It opens with fresh and dizzy by bergamot cool peony,elegant rose and jasmine reminiscent an imaginary bouquet of fresh flowers while the base gains sensuality and warmth from Patchouli and evoking memories of Hot Parties because it makes a unexpectedly intimate impression and it is also impressive when you are alone.

BLACK ORCHID dry down has more depth and seduction than this.WHITE PATCHOULI is perfect in the rainy weather.it is not absolutely feminine and i highly recommend this EDP for a Self Confident character who don't afraid of competition above all everybody who likes Patchouli scent and also A must have for those who likes all the types of perfumes.

Sillage?Graceful.

Longevity?+6 hours on my skin.

11th May, 2015
It’s definitely a patchouli, but it’s patchouli that's ashamed to announce itself as such, instead stylized under a series of lens flares and glimmering white lights. It has a draped, gauzy feel that’s a tad powdery, and it creates an olfactory image of cream and tan textures and fabrics. There’s a touch of rose peeking through, but barely enough to be identified as such. The overall feel is sort of a hazy, soft-focus, and dreamy kind of scent, but it’s a bit let down by a miserable department store precooked bases. All in all, a polite balsamic thing over a textbook synth-sandalwood base. Unambitious in all possible ways, but a solid enough offering for someone wanting a light, non-Woodstock patch.
31st October, 2014

Add your review of White Patchouli

Shop for White Patchouli products online

Shop for White Patchouli at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for White Patchouli

Member images of White Patchouli

There are no member images of White Patchouli yet. Why not be the first?