Italian Cypress (2008)

HouseTom Ford
Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Italian Cypress

Italian Cypress is a shared / unisex perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2008

Italian Cypress fragrance notes

Reviews of Italian Cypress

Stardate 20160908:

A great vintage Z-14 clone. I almost gave it neutral for the price when vintage Z-14 can be had for 1/10th but then changed my mind as this is not a bad fragrance and vintage Z-14 are getting harder to find.
08th September, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
Sure, a whiff of citrus-orange hits you at the beginning, but after a few minutes this is getting serious. A boozy wood emerges, a rich, dark tapestry of dark greenness, with the undertone of damp forest grounds and the earthy smell of coniferous aromas in the air.

In the drydown the cypress developed slowly but convincingly, and I am also getting some herbal undertones with occasional minty glimpses, like the sun rays breaking through the dense roofs of tree tops in the autumnal Šumava.

Yes, there are clear reminiscences of the vintage version of Polo Green, especially the old bottle I picked up from an old shop in Dunedin many years ago, but this TF is richer and boozier than the Ralph Lauren. Other similarities are found with Bogner's Deep Forest, with Torrente's for Men - without the spice and amber - with Monsiour Couturier and with one of my perennial favourites, Dunhill Blend 30, but Italian Cypress is quite linear, more straightforward, less rich, a bit less textured and less nuanced than those Greats are.

What Italian Cypress shares with these scents is that it is made of top-quality ingredients and how beautifully it is blended. This bears the hallmark of TF in his heydays at Gucci, when GPH I was released, before TF departed to set up his own shop and before Gucci focused on becoming a juvenile olfactory candy store.

The sillage is moderate, the projection excellent and the longevity a stupendously sensational sixteen hours on my skin - now THAT is longevity!

A great autumnal product of impeccable traditional craftsmanship, which is given a contemporaneous makeover. This is indubitably one of Tom Ford's finest. 4/5
13th July, 2016
She asked me what I was wearing and then she said "I thought I was having sex in a forest".
26th April, 2016

Short review to begin with, then more to come as time goes on. As others have mentioned, this is a complex fragrance. I've only worn it one day so far, but just wanted to put down my first impressions. The top notes are nice. A crisp, coniferous cypress. But, alas...it passes so quickly. I believe the brightness of the cypress might be enhanced by the citrus note, but fortunately, the citrus doesn't over power at all, it seems to only act as an enhancer for the cypress note. Middle notes start to become more musty. Having worn Polo for 33 years I can honestly say that like many others have stated, I can smell the similarities to Polo. I'm going to continue wearing and come back to this fragrance many times. I know it's been discontinued and it's another one I'd like to have. I'd better enjoy my samples for awhile. I got some bigger ones so I could work my way through this frag for a while.

Edit:

Celery. I wore Italian Cypress again today and I smelled celery. I'm surprised that I missed it the first day I wore it. I picked up celery in the opening notes this time instead of the citrus/cypress smell. I don't know if my nose is on the blink or not, but I don't like the Yatagan celery vibe from Yatagan, let alone from a fragrance as expensive as Italian Cypress. I don't hate the celery scent as much as I do the oregano smell I get from so many of the Amouage fragrances, but I also don't want my coniferous fragrances, (which are my favorites), smelling like celery. I also noticed more with this wearing that the longevity was only around 4.5 hours. I'm going to keep the thumbs up rating, but the longevity should be better, IMO.
24th April, 2016 (last edited: 28th April, 2016)
Italian Cypress is a somewhat uncharacteristic Tom Ford Private Blends fragrance. It avoids the brash and clumsy openings of many others from the line, and is more refined. Beginning with a nice lemon note, it soon moves into green and woody territory. There is a lot of pine and cypress, supported by woods and patchouly. Pine soon dominates the cypress as one gets a whiff of a leather accord. This is where the fragrance starts to become remarkably similar to Polo sans the tobacco. The fragrance doesn't show any further evolution.

While it is well done and smells good, Italian Cypress is ultimately too similar to Polo to be taken seriously. It takes many elements from Polo, Z14, Devin, Aramis 900 and Tuscany as influences. However, it is more of a play on the theme rather than being unique or distinctive. The top notes are well done, but the fragrance lacks body and personality from the heart onwards (as is usual with Tom Ford Private Blends releases). Additionally it has mediocre longevity and weak sillage and comes with a shockingly high price tag.

2.5/5
17th April, 2016
Take Polo, turn down the volume to 1/3, add that dollop of shaving cream mentioned in another review, add a smidge of cinnamon and basil and make it last a good long time. Voila, good scent but much too expensive for what it is and compared to other conifers. My decant's at least 5 years old.
07th February, 2016

Add your review of Italian Cypress

Shop for Italian Cypress products online

Shop for Italian Cypress at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Italian Cypress

Member images of Italian Cypress

There are no member images of Italian Cypress yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Italian Cypress