Rose Barbare (2005)

Based on 83 ratings

Rose Barbare Fragrance notes

Ottoman rose, Honey-chypre notes

Rose Barbare information

Part of a new line of fragrances named "L'Art et la Matiere", where different perfumers create a scent based around a "raw material". The line is available at the flagship Champs-Elysees store.

Reviews of Rose Barbare

Showing 1 to 6 of 18 reviews.

odysseusm's avatar

Rose and a sweet syrup. Fruity, juvenile, tinny-metallic at times. Bleh.

02nd July, 2014

bookhouseshell's avatar

I've been wary of putting up reviews because I am not an expert, I'm terrible at recognizing notes, I'm no writer and to top it all off, I'm both fickle and promiscuous fragrance wise. Something that was love last year could leave me cold now, and vice versa. I'd never have the patience to actually wear something a few times before forming and opinion, as there are just too many wonderful things to try and not enough time or skin to go around. Despite all that, the old new format gave me a chance to put down my thoughts in a less threatening way, and I enjoyed it.

I received a split of Rose Barbare along with 5 others new or new to me from the most amazing fragrance maven ever. I sniffed the sprays of them all this morning and Rose Barbare was the winner. Anything rose is very hit or miss for me, but this has something wonderful and powdery that softens and ages it. Rose via Violet lane, perhaps. The top is lovely, and I was happy for about an hour. Then I caught a whiff of something that screamed "ingredient from an inexpensive, modern dept. store". Wish I knew what it was, so I can avoid it like the plague. This unpleasantness lasted for at least an hour. The drydown is better, but not good enough to make up for the unhappy middle.

29th October, 2013

dlane1953's avatar

Elegant, sensual rose

The finer the perfume, the more reluctant I am to write a review. All the previous reviews cover every base---and the beauty of this fragrance leaves me wondering how to come up with anything new and useful for readers that's not already spelled out so eloquently already. But I'll try anyway.

The aldehydes are gentle, and the rose in the opening notes is a delicate pink rose, subtle and feminine. But as the heart opens, the rose becomes deeper and more full-bodied and truly sensual. The base, patchouli and woody notes, add a bit of earthiness while the honey and peach helps to soften these notes in a tender way.The strong rose note runs throughout the life of the fragrance, it's really the star of the show in every way. Sillage is good but not huge, longevity is 8+ hours. (I use sparingly because I want this sample to last!)

Refined, elegant, sensual, and unforgettable. Perfumery at its best.

Pros: Complex, refined rose fragrance
    Cons: None"

10th October, 2013

redrose's avatar

Yes, this is a pretty rose chypre which, if you like rose and don't already have a similar scent in your wardrobe, is worth investigating. As others have noted, however, it's quite similar to Gucci's L'Arte and Nahema.
    The rose opens clearly and continues to sing as the chypre base develops, along with some curious peachy-honey notes which are becoming very popular as bases these days, probably with the restrictions on oak moss.
    Nothing remotely barbaric here, and the perfume it most resembles in my view is the late-lamented vintage Femme by Rochas. If you liked that scent, and are disappointed with the current reformulation, give Rose Barbare a try - it might be just what you're looking for.
    I already own quite a few rose chypres, and don't find this version outstanding enough to add to my collection, but it's pleasant and well made, so a thumbs up.

01st February, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

I'm not normally a rose person. It came as quite a surprise when I had decided to order a whole bunch of samples so that I might find the perfect rose fragrance. I was interested to see what an expensive, exclusive and somewhat niche rose fragrance, such as Rose Barbare, would do for me.

Guerlain has managed to create something that stands out in a crowd of rose perfumes lining our department store counters. On paper, Rose Barbare seems cold and metallic, watery in a sense with delicate rose petals, mostly white.

When applied to the skin, Rose Barbare becomes much more characteristic. I still sense an element of watery-ness, however the rose seems more natural this way. It's a much darker, redder rose than on paper.

The honey sweetens this fragrance considerably, with the spices providing an interesting balance. I enjoy the depth that this fragrance has.

When first applied, Rose Barbare smelt a little like turkish delight, so I certainly got the gourmand reference straight away. However once settled, the sugary tartness softens, making way for an incredibly feminine and natural rose concoction, which is rich in some ways, but not particularly warming.

Rose Barbare strikes me as more of a Spring scent, the cold weather doesn't seem to highlight its beauty. It makes me think of pretty pink dresses and tea parties.

My above statement leads me to question why Rose Barbare is not barbaric, wild and uncivilised like its name suggests. I get an edible rose with a somewhat refined nature. There's no dirty innuendos or rankness to be found here I'm afraid.

The sillage of Rose Barbare is very intimate, sometimes there are moments when I can't smell it at all. Lasting power is so-so. For an ordinary fragrance, I would be impressed, yet by something arising, like this fragrance does, from a big house like Guerlain with such a price tag, I'm a little disappointed.

The quality is commendable, however the longevity left me lusting for more.

07th November, 2011

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

What bothers me about some fragrances on this Guerlain line is the lack of link with either the note proposed or the artistical idea they supposed to evoke. Cruel Gardenia, for instance, it`s beautiful, but has very little of the complex and difficult to work with aroma of Gardenias. Angelique Noire is just ok, a flowery vanillic thing that could work if love addict but find it unwearable. Rose Barbare, on the other side, doesn`t seem distant from the Rose idea and it`s not a better worked version of a mainstream fragrance idea. But, as an artistical rose fragrance, it fails to evoke me love. I like it, it`s a good quality rose soliflore with just a hint of aldehydes, a good control of the bitter side of rose and a slight liqueur honeyed aura. But it stops here, doesn`t explore any other rose sides and doesn`t take advantage of the talented Francis Kurkdijian to extract much more of the rose than just a pretty slightly dark face. Idylle Duet does almost everything that this one does, but intenser and more complex. In a section where you have tons of rose fragrances, Rose Barbare doesn`t stand out and doesn`t seems up to the price charged on it.

04th July, 2011

• Time Left: 13 days
    Guerlain Rose Barbare Eau de PARFUM Spray 2.5oz Made France Btl 75% Full No Box
    • Time Left: 4 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    GUERLAIN * ROSE BARBARE * SENSUAL REBEL !!!
    • Time Left: 22 days