L'Art et la Matière : Rose Barbare (2005)
by Guerlain

L'Art et la Matière : Rose Barbare information

Year of Launch2005

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerFrancis Kurkdjian
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About L'Art et la Matière : Rose Barbare

Part of a new line of fragrances named "L'Art et la Matiere", where different perfumers create a scent based around a "raw material". The line is available at the flagship Champs-Elysees store.

L'Art et la Matière : Rose Barbare fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Art et la Matière : Rose Barbare

A very old fashioned rose – soft and honeyed, in contrast to the harsh, sharp modern rose scents that seem to proliferate in the perfume world today.

It is the antithesis of Nahema, that very green rose masterwork of an earlier Guerlain era.

It is also the antithesis of this series' other rose, Rose Nacree, with its bitter oud and patchouli base. This is the sort of rose you would expect from vintage Worth, such as their Dans La Nuit.

One of the gentlest and most uncomplicated rose scents in many a year. As a soliflore it is quite linear, but very welcome. The name is a misnomer. It is the very opposite of barbarous.
26th June, 2017
I don't get it. A very soft, light rose. When spraying, it's almost only alcohol. It's acid in the opening and goes soapy very quickly. It could be positive if longevity and sillage were better. I don't like to define a perfume according to its price, but you'd expect better performances from any fragrance anyway.
30th April, 2017
Rose and a sweet syrup. Fruity, juvenile, tinny-metallic at times. Bleh.
02nd July, 2014
I've been wary of putting up reviews because I am not an expert, I'm terrible at recognizing notes, I'm no writer and to top it all off, I'm both fickle and promiscuous fragrance wise. Something that was love last year could leave me cold now, and vice versa. I'd never have the patience to actually wear something a few times before forming and opinion, as there are just too many wonderful things to try and not enough time or skin to go around. Despite all that, the old new format gave me a chance to put down my thoughts in a less threatening way, and I enjoyed it.

I received a split of Rose Barbare along with 5 others new or new to me from the most amazing fragrance maven ever. I sniffed the sprays of them all this morning and Rose Barbare was the winner. Anything rose is very hit or miss for me, but this has something wonderful and powdery that softens and ages it. Rose via Violet lane, perhaps. The top is lovely, and I was happy for about an hour. Then I caught a whiff of something that screamed "ingredient from an inexpensive, modern dept. store". Wish I knew what it was, so I can avoid it like the plague. This unpleasantness lasted for at least an hour. The drydown is better, but not good enough to make up for the unhappy middle.
29th October, 2013
Elegant, sensual rose

The finer the perfume, the more reluctant I am to write a review. All the previous reviews cover every base---and the beauty of this fragrance leaves me wondering how to come up with anything new and useful for readers that's not already spelled out so eloquently already. But I'll try anyway.

The aldehydes are gentle, and the rose in the opening notes is a delicate pink rose, subtle and feminine. But as the heart opens, the rose becomes deeper and more full-bodied and truly sensual. The base, patchouli and woody notes, add a bit of earthiness while the honey and peach helps to soften these notes in a tender way.The strong rose note runs throughout the life of the fragrance, it's really the star of the show in every way. Sillage is good but not huge, longevity is 8+ hours. (I use sparingly because I want this sample to last!)

Refined, elegant, sensual, and unforgettable. Perfumery at its best.

Pros: Complex, refined rose fragrance
Cons: None"

10th October, 2013
redrose Show all reviews
Yes, this is a pretty rose chypre which, if you like rose and don't already have a similar scent in your wardrobe, is worth investigating. As others have noted, however, it's quite similar to Gucci's L'Arte and Nahema.
The rose opens clearly and continues to sing as the chypre base develops, along with some curious peachy-honey notes which are becoming very popular as bases these days, probably with the restrictions on oak moss.
Nothing remotely barbaric here, and the perfume it most resembles in my view is the late-lamented vintage Femme by Rochas. If you liked that scent, and are disappointed with the current reformulation, give Rose Barbare a try - it might be just what you're looking for.
I already own quite a few rose chypres, and don't find this version outstanding enough to add to my collection, but it's pleasant and well made, so a thumbs up.
01st February, 2012

Add your review of L'Art et la Matière : Rose Barbare

Shop for L'Art et la Matière : Rose Barbare products online

Search Amazon for L'Art et la Matière : Rose Barbare

Member images of L'Art et la Matière : Rose Barbare

There are no member images of L'Art et la Matière : Rose Barbare yet. Why not be the first?

L'Art et la Matière : Rose Barbare News