Dior Homme (2005)

HouseChristian Dior
PerfumerOlivier Polge
PackagingTsutomu Kiyama

About Dior Homme

Dior Homme is a masculine fragrance by Christian Dior. The scent was launched in 2005 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Olivier Polge. The bottle was designed by Tsutomu Kiyama

Dior Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Dior Homme

I have a strange relationship with Dior Homme. I used to love it and, according to many people who smelled it on me, Dior Homme really loves me. I've only gotten more compliments on one other fragrance ever. To me, wearing Dior Homme is like wearing the olfactory equivalent of a nice chambray shirt and a well-tailored navy blazer---it suits my age and lifestyle and I can't seem to go wrong with it. But as I learn more about fragrance and try new things, it feels a little staid. And just like I get bored with my good navy blazer and wear it anyway, I 'm getting bored with DH despite how suitable it is for me.

To be fair, it smells good. I can smell the iris note, faintly, but it fades quickly. It's strongest scent component for me is of a just-opened packet of instant hot cocoa, the kind with the tiny dried marshmallows inside. There's a powder puff, cocoa and caramelized sugar sweetness thing that's pleasant. Many reviewers mentioned a leather note that I don't get but I agree with those reviewers who picked up a suede note---it reminds me of a suede shirt I own.

Just like I need to dress up my good navy blazer with a jaunty pocket square, I've started to accessorize Dior Homme by layering it with other fragrances. Pairing it with Bulgari Black creates a nice effect on me. I follow the advice of other Basenoters and put on the Bulgari first, wait ten minutes for the burnt rubber opening blast to calm down and then spray on DH.

But the DH layering combo that gets me guaranteed compliments comes from pairing it with the ridiculously cheap Axe/Lynx body spray Dark Temptation. When I spray that and DH on together some sort of alchemy takes place and I get lots of compliments. I asked my teenage daughter, why more women talk to me when I wear the Dior Homme/Dark Temptation combo than any other scent I wear. And she told me, "Because it makes you smell like a chocolate chip cookie." Yes, but a sexy chocolate-chip cookie in a suede shirt.
23rd April, 2015
Salutation.

You can not feel bad wearning this fragrance if you are a real Gentleman!DIOR HOMME is truly one of the best fragrances in the world and for ever.very complex fragrance and very surprising how many man wear this!

My father always wears this cologne and my opinion smelled like the perfect fragrance.Definitely very SPECIAL and CLASSY.a great night fragrance for the colder months of the year.

The top notes is a little fresh with bergamot.The middle notes make the composition seem so romantic and warm.The base notes is more masculine and woody on my skin and long lasting.anyway it is HIGH QUALITY.

Thank You CD.

8.5/10
22nd April, 2015
To be honest I had so much confidence in this masterpiece as I tested the reformulation instead but got the vintage bottle due to overwhelming response to a thread I posted but to be brutally honest I think I enjoyed the reformulation more and I think it performed way better than the vintage. It was more spicy and edgy to say the least but I can't go without saying that the vintage DH feels more refined and richer. Vintage DH is without a doubt a masterpiece in its own right but compared to the reformulation, I think I'd have to say the reformulation sails my boat.
15th April, 2015
I know everyone loves this one, but I really struggle with Iris notes. They always seem to be too feminine for a men's fragrance. Dior Homme is no exception. Great quality, great house, just not to my liking.
16th March, 2015
Oviatt Show all reviews
I am bewildered by the success of this scent. Lipstick, makeup and lipstick..... I cannot think why any man would want to smell like this. Drag queen in a bottle (a great looking bottle, by the way). I am SORT of on board with the gender blurring of certain florals and cross-ever frags like Jicky, Mitsouko, etc. (although I do not wear them) but why would a man want to smell like expensive foundation? Do women want men to smell like this? Or for that matter, do other men want men to smell like this? While I know that the current line of thinking is that no particular essence--particularly a floral one--is inherently either feminine or masculine, the fact is that the iris note is so closely associated with woman's makeup that it is really hard to imagine why this appeals. On a woman, it would smell like she spent a lot of time at the makeup counter and walked right past the fragrances. NOT deserving of having a place alongside the Eau Sauvages of the world.... What would Jules say to this?
25th February, 2015
I tried a sample of this. I like it but it's not very strong on my skin. The iris and leather at the beginning makes it seem like black licorice. After a few minutes the vetiver, lavender and leather come out at the same time with neither overpowering the other. This could be used by a man or woman. The result is nice when I don't drink deeply of the scent but waft my wrist next to my nose. I would love to spray a ton of this on me and go on a date or to a movie.
24th November, 2014 (last edited: 05th December, 2014)

Add your review of Dior Homme