Dior Homme (2005)

PerfumerOlivier Polge
PackagingTsutomu Kiyama
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Dior Homme

Dior Homme is a masculine fragrance by Christian Dior. The scent was launched in 2005 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Olivier Polge. The bottle was designed by Tsutomu Kiyama

Dior Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Dior Homme

As a former hardcore wearer of the original 2005 formula, i have to say that all newer formulations, while still good, are a lesser comparison.

The original 2005 formula packed those intense "dramatic" transitions between top/middle/base. The way it greets you with that carrot seed paralyzing intense iris opening, then completely morphing into this dark enveloping dusty woody cacao veil in the drydown is just mesmerizing. And it does it in such a dramatic in-your-face fashion.

The newer versions lack this intensity and drama i'm talking about. They blur those lines between top/middle/base, taming the entire composition down, making it smoother (not in a good way), less avant-garde, more predictable and almost linear. I still get the iris opening but it seems to be more behaved and fused in what to follow next in the scent's development.
In other words: PREDICTABLE.

So if you want to experience the true glory of this composition, grab a 2005 bottle if you can.
13th January, 2016
I decided to get a sample of this and try it since it's listed as one of the top ten sexiest masculine fragrances on a woman in the "A-Z Guide to Perfume!" I have to admit that I almost didn't want to try this one on, after I smelled it sprayed on a card from a tester bottle in a store! First of all, this one has a lot of sillage! (Although, in all fairness, I find many masculine fragrances do!) And secondly, on the card, and to my nose, it smelled like an Axe body spray! :D I love Axe body sprays, but I won't wear them because their advertising is so oriented toward very young males that it would just make me feel weird!
Today, I finally tried Dior "Homme" on from a small sample that I got. I only applied a very small amount dabbed on with the stick in the sample tube, and it still has big time sillage and projection. A bit too much for my taste actually, so I really don't think I would ever wear this one. That said, on me, and to my nose, it does actually smell like a high quality fragrance, not really like Axe, like I first thought! I think this is one I might consider buying as a gift for a man, since I think it would probably be really sexy and classy on a guy! But, on myself, I would definitely rather wear "Gris Clair" by Serge Lutens, which has very similar notes (as Dior "Homme") but, to me, "Gris Clair" just smells better! I am definitely giving Dior "Homme" a thumbs up and four stars, and recommending it to all the guys though! If you haven't tried it yet, you definitely should! I just don't necessarily think it should be listed as a great choice for a woman!
24th December, 2015
One of the best male fragrances ever. A beautiful, dark, elegant concoction of iris, cardamom and something that resembles raw cocoa.

Timeless classic and approved by ladies and gentlemen alike.
23rd December, 2015
This is a MASTERPIECE. This fragrance has been covered by DHI but this one is the true art piece. The combination of flowers and powder is wonderful. This fragrance is so fresh yet so elegant, so powerful yet so delicate and so inviting yet so mysterious. 10/10. It also has great longevity on my skin, actually better longevity than DHI for me.
21st December, 2015
Bought DH recently. Interestingly its the vintage version and I bought it for less than 40USD. The currency in my country has depreciated by over 40 percent but the stores that sell fragrances haven't increased there prices. And people here don't wear fragrances as much so shops have inventory from years ago which is stored really well. Long story short I love DH, better still I got it for a song...my new signature scent...cheers
09th December, 2015
Smells high quality and unique, but I don't find it that pleasant. Strong iris and not much else, maybe a little creamy vanilla. Masculine Purple. It is pretty linear, strong with good longevity. Does smell like lipstick in a woman's purse and becomes a tad cloying.
04th December, 2015