Original Santal (2005)

Original Santal information

Year of Launch2005

Parent CompanyCreed

About Original Santal

Original Santal is a masculine fragrance by Creed. The scent was launched in 2005

Original Santal fragrance notes

Reviews of Original Santal

While trying out Creed fragrances a few months back, I didn't find this one memorable; however, I ultimately decided to purchase it. I like cinnamon a lot, and that, juniper, and the vanilla-tonka combination are the notes that stand out the most here. The sandalwood note is discreet, and the fragrance seems to be more of an interpretation of the powdery, milky feel of sandalwood in the same way Royal Oud is an interpretation of the feel of oud without a heavy oud note. Original Santal projects quite well. If you don't like cinnamon, this one probably isn't for you.
03rd August, 2015
Trying not to be judgemental here, but Original Santal by Creed is really a depressing fragrance given the price and the pretenses it has. I can accept the fact there is no (I mean: no!) sandalwood here, and obviously no “original” sandalwood therefore, but even putting that aside, it smells really, clearly and desperately mediocre. Don’t expect any luxury out of this, it is basically a really generic herbal juniper-lavender blend with a lot of spices on the smooth-sweet side, mostly cinnamon and tonka, and that’s it. Pleasantly outdated if you want, but that’s a really miserable cold comfort to pay that money to feel like a wealthy distinguished connoisseur while actually smelling like a lower-class accountant from the early 1990s. Not saying Original Santal stinks; it is decent, in the least enthusiastic meaning ever, something which I would consider acceptable for a 15/20 EUR fragrance. “Drugstore/chainstore-decent” as any Montblanc and similar fragrances would be. Sadly I am given to understand Creed fans are most of the time so devotedly stubborn that my review will just appear as some snobbish grumpy opposer bashing the brand for the sake of it... well I am not. I admit this would be fine with a way lower price, so I do see some margin of acceptability with this fragrance, but as-is (over 2 EUR/ml?) it’s objectively preposterous - this being in the same broad price range of, say, Hermès Cuir d’Ange? Insulting.

27th June, 2015
Original Santal mixes a heavy dose of sandalwood with fresh and spicy elements. I get more of the lavender and ginger than cinnamon, more of a floral/spicy mix than strictly a spicy mix, as the whole fragrance still feels somewhat light and fresh as opposed to dense and spicy.

The fresh sandalwood aspect of Creed Original Santal makes it strikingly similar to Himalaya, which certainly isn't a negative since Himalaya is one of the more agreeably better Creed offer.

With good longevity and projection, this might be a bottle-worthy despite its similarities to Himalaya. I've noticed no comments mentioning Himalaya before this but found it worth mentioning since it was the first thought that came to mind after trying this on for the first time. Excellent composition that brings together fresh, woody, and spicy elements.

8 out of 10
01st June, 2015
A pleasant scent, but at these rates, that is not going to cut it. Low silage and projection.Pass.
25th February, 2015
I own several Creeds, so my rating isn't based on a prejudice against the line.

This is a pleasant scent that would be good if:

It lasted longer
It wasn't so expensive

Nothing special here. With more sillage and longevity I could easily see adding it to my wardrobe. But, as it, no.
21st January, 2015
Cinnamon is one of my favourite smells and tastes. Therefore, this scent was always going to be a winner for me. Its a really underrated scent in the Creed line, with Aventus taking most of the limelight. But Santal should be taken seriously. For me, this fragrance lasts most of the evening, which is when, like many others, i would suggest wearing this. Its a perfect scent for the cold winter months. The warm cinnamon and vanilla notes create such a distinctive and sexy smell. Another winner from Creed
31st December, 2014

Add your review of Original Santal

Shop for Original Santal products online

Shop for Original Santal at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Original Santal

Member images of Original Santal

There are no member images of Original Santal yet. Why not be the first?