Polo Black (2005)

PerfumerPierre Negrin
SupplierGivaudan
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Polo Black

Polo Black is a masculine fragrance by Ralph Lauren. The scent was launched in 2005 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Pierre Negrin and Ellen Molner

Reviews of Polo Black

I refrained from reviewing this back when it came out because I couldn't wrap my understanding around what it was trying to achieve. It smelled like pencil shavings with fruity intentions to me at the time.

Now I like it, especially considering the disasters released over the past decade. originality has largely gone out the window (though slowly coming back) and I think this will set you apart in today's aroma scene.

It only took 12ish years, but I think Polo Black has a point.
19th January, 2018
The opening on this is very clean, fresh (iced mango indeed), and nice. I was in love with it, right away. A little too "pretty" of a scent, but I like it.
Then the dry down comes into play.
It still has that mango-like scent, but instead of being sharp and watery, it gets creamy. Creamy, but for some reason, not in a good way. I don't if it's because it smells too common, but that dry down just doesn't do it for me. More recently, I tried it again, and the dry down smelled like some bad buttered popcorn.

SIMILAR TO: Marshall's Artisan Woods/TJ Maxx's Imperial Woods. The Marshall's version has a faux metal looking cylinder cap, the TJ Maxx one has a faux wooden rectangle cap.
That fragrance opens up very sharp and synthetic but immediately dries down into what the opening of Polo Black is like. It doesn't last that long, maybe 4 hours, but it's pretty much Polo Black done right. That queasy creamy dry down is not here, but instead, a smoother version of Polo Black's top notes.

CONCLUSION: Aside from my most recent experience with it (maybe THAT tester bottle went bad), it's pretty safe, but the dry down is nothing great, just generic.
28th November, 2017 (last edited: 12th April, 2018)
I just got this perfume (15 ml sample in a gift set), and I was actually pleasantly surprised.

I was fearing an overly-sweet blast of synthetic mango in the top, but this is actually not a sweet scent at all. The iced mango is detectable, but it smells like actual mango and not that orange gunk that can be found in ice cream and cheap soap.

Other than the iced mango, the patchouli and sandalwood play very well together (this definitely comes to show after you've worn it for a little bit). In general tha combination of ingredients form a very pleasant and interesting fragrance. The first word that comes to mind when having to describe its smell is "dark", so they've definitely done something right!

It's not as dominant as many RL perfumes tend to be, which makes this the perfect perfume when the wearer doesn't want to stand out too much. I find this to be great when at school/work. Especially if your outfit is mostly black. It is a bit mysterious, so it's actually pretty good for a quiet guy (like myself). It's very pleasant yet subtle. I love that!

I think this perfume can be worn on any occation. I probably wouldn't wear it for family get togethers, but that's the only occation I can think of.

Both longevity and projection is great on me. Lasts all day, and projection is pretty strong (although the perfume itself is a subtle one). Yeah, I'm one of those lucky bastards.

01st February, 2017
Salutation.

POLO BLACK?It is a symbol in RL young fragrances.Yes A nice young scent for any season of the year specially in SPRING/AUTUMN weather.quite Sweet and Casual.

This RL EDT is Fruity(mango) and Fresh at the begining.Soft and Romantic at the middle and upshot Warm in the end.in fact Fruity notes mixes well with the other notes and creates a very Yummy and Cute scent.

In my opinion is a forever attraction in this and truly makes you feel young beautiful.PB is Good for teenagers Too.one of those colognes Everytime you wearning it,Some people stop you on the street and asking what this fragrance is?However i still prefer DOUBLE BLACK!

Sillage?Ok

Longevity?Remarkabke on my skin.

15th May, 2015
Sickeningly sweet mango and spice dominant fragrance with poor longevity. I generally like Ralph Lauren and find most of their fragrances well balanced. Black however, is less than the Polo standard. The mango wears me out way before the fragrance can die, which was about two hours tops.

I can't imagine wearing this anywhere ever.
06th April, 2015 (last edited: 07th April, 2015)
I got this from my girlfriend (who in turn got it from polo as she is doing some work from them).

Yes it's a bit predictable, bland and generic. It also smells really good and fresh and won't offend anyone anywhere. You can be sure it will be gone by lunch time.

I quietly enjoy it the same way I enjoy burger king: With a smile. And there's nothing more to add.
22nd January, 2015