Costes (2004)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 109 ratings

Costes Fragrance Notes

Costes information

Created by Rami Mekdachi and Olivia Giacobetti for the famous Hôtel Costes. Basenotes' member, Griff says that is fabulous!

Reviews of Costes

Showing 1 to 6 of 31 reviews.

drseid's avatar

Costes opens with a soft rose and mild lavender floral laced "red hots candy" cinnamon accord. As the scent enters the heart phase the cinnamon spice becomes more prominent but turns dry as the early florals recede though do not completely disappear yet. Cutting through the spice and its underlying floral undertone is an ever-growing non-animalic musk spiked woody incense accord rising from the base that mixes with the spice in the later heart phase, then gradually replaces the supporting florals in total during the final part of the dry-down as the cinnamon also sharply dissipates late. Projection is deceptively strong and longevity is below average at 4-6 hours on skin.

Costes was a blind buy for me that I initially thought went awry. I sprayed a piece of paper with the fragrance initially, and the "red hots candy" and musky incense aspects went wild (it seemed all too apropos that the bottle resembled the color of red hots candy). The accord was powerful and almost cloyingly synthetic-smelling on paper, coming off as more of a high-end room freshener than a fragrance one would wish to wear. Luckily, on skin the effect is quite different. The rose and lavender floral aspects are much more noticeable on skin, softening the cinnamon and incense quite effectively by adding an almost watery floral undertone, making the scent work. Leave it to a brilliant nose like Giacobetti to skillfully make this kind of a composition work so well on skin when it seemingly fails on paper. All in all, Costes is a success and is also a rather good value at its $80 for 50ml or $135 for 100ml retail price. I am not quite sure that if I had sampled it first I would still have made the purchase (especially as it does not last as long as I would like on skin), but I surely don't regret it either and award Costes a "very good" 3.5 stars out of 5 rating outright.

16 March, 2013

0j76's avatar

England England

Smells like Christmas. They should have named it Christmas. Startling quality. Beautiful, lucid notes. Spicey. Luxury Diesel Plus Zero. Though the Diesel may be more wearable; this will satisfy hardened fume heads better.

23 January, 2013

teardrop's avatar

England England

For a fleeting moment in the opening, this smells surprisingly green & floral to me, before the wood & spices come in. The most prominent spice is clove, transitioning to a peppered, dark rose with a layer of sandalwood beneath. The rose slowly recedes over the next four-five hours, leaving a smooth, sweetish & clean sandalwood base. The incense note is very subtle here, but the projection is big. Very nice!

04 January, 2013

nefastvs's avatar

Starts of very nice and interesting, with a musky, dusty, incensed rose scent. After about a half hour, it dries down to a cloying old-lady smell.

27 August, 2012

stanmar's avatar

Wearing it right now and here is what I think of Costes. First of all, the rose in this scent has made me less wary of rose going forward. Given that I am usually baulk at the mere mention of rose and denounce it as feminine and not for my tastes. Perhaps they refined the rose note and surrounded it with lavander and incense to make it more wearable and less flowery. The result is puzzling as it is at once lithe, fresh and confident while still holding an air of affluent modern decadence. I imagine chic trendy hotel corridors with successful assertive hipsters of all ages as the clientele. As for the fragrance, sleek and urbane and what Nicole Kidman and her hubby might share. Do I like it ?..... not for everyday but it has a place in my collection. i am surprised the cinnamon resemblence has not turned me off as of yet. More of a fragrance of novelty value rather than something that will reach for when the need for a safe scent choice arises.

I have to downgrade my previous rating of Costes to neutral based on wearability issues in the long run. Somebody else remarked of its value as more of a home fragrance . Now I agree.

04 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 December, 2011)

almasinti's avatar

I love the smooth and delicate wood/incense background of this scent. However, I do not like rose scents. This smells like rose potpourri. Once I smell that, the fragrance becomes rose, rose, rose, and I cannot get past it...Also, for me rose is not a masculine scent and if I wore this in public, I would be looking over my shoulder all the time to see is anybody was staring at me - "what's with that guy and the roses?" Silly but true. Too bad, it is a nice scent, thumbs up for women and guys less insecure than me.

10th October, 2011

Add your review of Costes

Search for on eBay United States

COSTES HOTEL COSTES EDT NICHE DRY BODY OIL SEALED BOX 100 ML NEW ITEM
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 21 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)
    HOTEL COSTES PERFUME BOTTLE EAU DE TOILETTE 4.2 FL OZ REFILLABLE BOTTLE FRANCE
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 24 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)