Ambra di Venezia
    by Montgomery Taylor

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 13 ratings

Ambra di Venezia information

Ambra di Venezia is a women's fragrance by Montgomery Taylor.

Reviews of Ambra di Venezia

Showing 1 to of 6 reviews.
    positive 2 Positive Reviewsneutral3 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Opoponax's avatar

Ambra di Venezia begins with a rather overwhelming blast of fizzy, effervescent citrus notes, like opening a lemon soda. Thereís an incense note riding along with the citrus, which makes the whole experience vaguely like getting spritzed in the face with a refined version of Lemon Pledge. The amber does not initially make itself apparent, but it comes into greater prominence as the wallop of lemon wears off. Then the scent improves, in my opinion, as starts to smell like a fantasy of churchly treasure: precious resins, incenses, ambers, clean linen, and a musty mineral smell like stone. This amber must be located in a Venetian church, probably one of the small, forgotten, dimly lit ones that surprise travelers at the end of the narrowest Venetian alleys.

I wish the scent were earthier. Itís an engaging experience but the cleaning-product intensity of the opening minutes, especially, can be hard to take. It also possesses a rather alarming staying power: after sampling it in the late afternoon, I could still smell it on my wrists the morning after.

March 17, 2013

12th March, 2013 (Last Edited: 18th March, 2013)

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

I think this is a definitive scent - a smell you just won't forget once you smell it.
    The citrus notes ,the fruit and florals are not separate to me - I feel there is not much progression but all the notes become one smell on me. A strong and strident new type chypre - clean and long lasting with a shampoo type fruit in it. It doesn't move me in any way .
    Very long lasting !

06th August, 2012

cheryl's avatar

The notes attributed to this are:
    TOP NOTES: Bergamot, lime, tangerine
    MIDDLE NOTES: Jasmine, narcissus, mango
    BASE NOTES: Sandalwood

I am blind sampling the EDT. My first impression...and nice swirl of soft white florals with shampoo-"froot". S'ok. It's nice enough..I guess. Then I was reminded of a ghostly Anne Klein (another floral (hyacinth) effort). For a few brief seconds there is a flash of milky papaya, which I suppose is the mango note. It's all rather indistinct, vague-pretty and ok.

My main issue with it is I'm a bit disappointed that this composition is the result of THOSE notes. Because you might imagine those notes to have some zing, pow and wow in them. I'm guessing each note is a synthetic simulacrum of the real experience....thinned out to an extremely modest and inoffensive "scent". I wouldn't describe it as PERFUME, if you see my distinction.

17th June, 2012

posy1974's avatar

This is a lovely and eminently wearable fragrance. It will appeal to fans of bright florals (like me) but also contains some great mellow, warm, romantic notes, including sandalwood. The notes of jasmine and narcissus appeal to the Southern lady in me. There are also some citrusy notes, similar to the Italian fragrances whose packaging it resembles, but I find it a lot more sophisticated and interesting than, say, Roma or 1881. Also a great summer fragrance, as the other reviewer mentioned!

08th July, 2009

Nathan214's avatar

I find Ambra di Venezia to be a very soft, balanced work, expertly blending citrus oils, jasmine and sandalwood for a warm glow of a fragrance that lasts for a good 6-8 hours.

The narcissus at the opening smells very bright and fresh, then the scent evolves into a much more relaxed and smooth piece. I didn't get too much sweetness out of it at all, and think it's easily suitable for both men and women.

Note: I only have the perfume formulation. There's an EDP version available, as well, and I have not yet tested it for comparison's sake.

25th April, 2009

nonobadkitty's avatar

I heard about this fragrance because it's one Broadway star Bernadette Peters wears/wore, so I had to try it. I find it's a very sweet smelling fragrance, almost annoyingly so, but after awhile it smells REALLY good. It's too strong and sweet for daily wear though, but for a special night out, especially when it's a warm and sultry night, it's great.

22nd May, 2008

Add your review of Ambra di Venezia

Search for on eBay United States

Ambra di Venezia Parfums 30ML 1OZ Unisex J Montgomery Taylor FRANCE
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 23 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)