Début (2004)

Year of Launch2004

HouseDelrae
PerfumerMichel Roudnitska

About Début

Début is a shared / unisex perfume by Delrae. The scent was launched in 2004 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Michel Roudnitska

Début fragrance notes

Reviews of Début

Genre: Green Floral/Chypre

Début starts off with a weird, strident cherry Lifesaver accord that I find highly off-putting. The artificial fruit flavor is soon joined by sharp, dry aromatics and nose-tweaking aldehydes, which at least serve to mask some of the opening’s excessive sweetness.

The aldehydes eventually dissipate and the screechy fruit esters recede a bit to reveal intensely soapy chypre-like foundation that’s softened by a cool white flower accord. The composition grows greener over time, and completely sheds its fruity cloak after the first hour of wear. Later on a mélange of buttery woods spreads itself over the blend to smooth out the angular and somewhat bitter foundation.

Début is tremendously loud throughout its duration, with extraordinary projection and plenty of sillage. Between its potency and its bold structure it works as an olfactory blunt instrument – say a mace. Don’t wear Début when subtlety or understatement are required, and please don’t wear too much of it!

None of this is to say that Début is a bad fragrance. On the contrary, I think it quite fine once I get past the abrasive top notes. In a market dominated by faceless fragrances, Début is bold, distinctive, and full of personality. So much so that I’d have to reserve it for special occasions.

(As an aside, I think Début would work well on either gender – at least theoretically. As a man I’d have to go to great lengths to apply it lightly enough for comfort.)
12th June, 2014
I find this to be a fairly successful rendering of Lilly-of-the-valley. It is pleasantly sweet and green to my nose. It reminds me of springtime and great silage for such a delicate scent. Rather remarkable.
26th January, 2014
Opens as a promising indolic white floral but quickly develops into the scent of pub toilets. But I agree with JaimeB that linden is a key player in this, and it's a tricky note to pull off. I think I prefer Andy Tauer's Zeta for a linden-centric perfume but will do a sniff-test and report back!
26th April, 2013
cello Show all reviews
Debut is a lily floral to my nose, but it opens with such a tart and green burst that it is almost offputting. It is very, very green. The florals are present almost from the start though, with the lily slowly gaining hold. Even as the lily continues to unfold, the fragrance stays green and tart.

The saving grace for me, although I love lily fragrances, is the emergence of a linden note. The linden seems to balance out the harshness of the green, and the thick, headiness of the lily. This blend sits for hours as a beautifully executed, soft, pillowy white floral blend. It finishes with soft woods and musk.

I would imagine that this Delrae has many fans, as it is certainly easy to wear, after the bitter opening, and also is very well executed. This one seems a little more subdued than several of the other Delrae fragrances that I have tried or own, but is not without it's substance.

The neutral rating is for the harsh opening that, to me, continues on into the heart, leaving this fairly difficult for me to wear. Just my taste though.
24th March, 2013
Debut by Delrae - Upon application, one is treated to a pleasant plume of vivacious lushness from green leaves along with sweet and fruity ylang-ylang wafting on a winsome cloud of bittersweetness furnished by bergamot and lime. Floating to the floral middle, cool verdancy dominates with the fresh, green lily-of-the-valley, slightly sweet and bitter linden blossom as well as light, semi-sweet cyclamen. Aldehydes enhance the brilliance of the florals; and indoles supply a faint inky underpinning. This alluring pas de trois meanders to the waiting base. Robust vetiver predominates the base with its scent of dried field grass and accompanying clean earth, wonderfully tempered by creamy sandalwood and warm, skin-like musk. An appealing dry down ensues. This airy and distinctive composition has very good longevity and sillage/projection - easy on the trigger is the catchphrase here.
02nd January, 2012
The opening is sharp & green on me, almost bitter, with notes of lime & cut grass. l like the middle phase best, when floral notes of lily of the valley & something like lilac come through. l've never smelled linden blossom, so l can only assume that's what l'm smelling here. Later on the vetiver makes an appearance, & it becomes quite masculine again. l can definitely see this working on a man. This fragrance isn't really me, l find it much too tart & green, but it's very well structured, interesting & high quality, with good sillage & longevity, therefore l'm giving it a thumbs up.
03rd February, 2011

Add your review of Début

Shop for Début products online

Search Amazon for Début

Member images of Début

There are no member images of Début yet. Why not be the first?