L'Homme Sage (2005)

Year of Launch2005

HouseDivine
PerfumerYann Vasnier

About L'Homme Sage

L'Homme Sage is a masculine fragrance by Divine. The scent was launched in 2005 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Yann Vasnier

L'Homme Sage fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Homme Sage

I picked up a bottle of this on my last visit to LA, and once again proved the old adage of "never buy on the strength of reviews". L'Homme Sage ("Wise Man") gets rave reviews all over, but I'm mystified as to why.

It opens with a herbacious saffron and cardamom note; the smallest hint of mandarin is in the mix too but I don't detect any of the lychee that people speak about. The base is a standard and rather insipid woody incense. It turns a bit powdery on my skin and I really don't like powdery fragrances.

For me, a fragrance must delight, intrigue or lift the senses. I find L'Homme Sage to be rather mediocre. It's an interesting experiment and it's okay on a soft autumn afternoon but I shan't be wearing this often.
22nd June, 2015
Unisex, slightly powdery and sort of soapy (not in a bad way). Projection and longevity are above average. A floral patchouli blend with a light wood in the background. Decent fragrance, but I think I would get tired of it. Seems more feminine to me. Overall a well done fragrance. 7.5/10
03rd January, 2015
So good one might, blind-folded, have thought it a Guerlain.

It begins its "spicy woody" Turin designation with resins, wood and spice, so well blended, that one is reminded of Heritage. There is a warmth here and a very slight undercurrent of a sweetness that must be the lychee.

Turin's three stars seems unfair. This is a four star (out of five) scent that is one of the best masculines on the market.
13th May, 2014
Rich, round, unmistakable opening with a really tight and complex texture. Basically a fruity, spicy, kind of gloomy blend, with a subtle but still bold accord of earthy oak moss and patchouli, which underline and support the raw, shady side of the scent, while the more prominent flower notes and the aromatic woods create a superb, unique, slightly boozy tea-like aroma melting with the wonderful, fruity-spiced accord of saffron, mandarin and pungent fruits (Vasnier used litchee notes and I trust that, although I only detect a pungent, syrupy, fresh fruit note that can actually be anything). Miles down you can feel the solid base of styrax and cistus, which kind of "shape" the scent with a masculine uplifting touch, giving it a slight unique fougère personality. Words fail a bit here, basing on my description this may sound messy and super-rich, while in fact it's really simple and wearable, just really compact, consistent, harmonic and tightly-packed – like looking a perfectly-formed thingy through a microscope lens, you then realize it's made of billions of (whatever it's made of). Highly wearable, with a perfect persistence and sillage, a real (and sadly, apparently much underrated) total marvel.

16th April, 2014 (last edited: 17th April, 2014)
as of September 2013 my favourite scent of all time

Ok this is my first review here ! Let me start by saying for the last two years i have treasured my bottle of this divine scent (pun intended) But trying to write about my subjective feeling seems different from that of other reviews, OK i've just sprayed it on my arm. 10 seconds in what i get is not all this fancy mandarin and lychee so talked of, what i get is furniture polish or even boot polish. but oh its wonderful. it lasts of only 15 seconds and already i miss that scent. is just. Just as I am about to brust in tears off we go on a roller coaster. Imagine an italian undercover agent dressed in slick well cut leather. The aroma begins to strengthen and 5 minutes in we are now sitting in the back of a bentley leather accords abound. then out comes a cigar and the scent of nicotinia begins to come to the for. Then well the car stopps outside a tibetan monetary, the guy grabs a few incense sticks then runs into a catholic church and lights them up. There is sort of sacred church like smell a bit damp warm glowing and the sweet resin grows , maybe he lit a candle i don't know. the guy is obviously on some sort journey but heads turn.

After 12 hours the warm embers of this wonderful scent still delight the senses.

Don't be fooled by hype. to me this is a very synthetic scent but one that would make me proud to admit it.

Literally everyone comments on this scent. to me nothing is like it. it is genius . I want to find a better scent than this so far can't . i love it , i love it , i love it.

Pros: Wonderfully masculine, heady , great silage and longevity
Cons: its hard to get the refills. "

09th September, 2013
It's hard to put a handle on this fragrance. While it presents a typically masculine visage with its aromatic woodsy-spicy incensey profile, there is no denying the existence of a sweetish fruity undertone. An interesting juxtaposition or an unnecessary distraction? You decide. But I don't really smell a wise guy here. More of a shy guy with its discreet projection.
30th April, 2013

Add your review of L'Homme Sage

Shop for L'Homme Sage products online

Shop for L'Homme Sage at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for L'Homme Sage

Member images of L'Homme Sage

There are no member images of L'Homme Sage yet. Why not be the first?