Opus 1870 (2005)

HousePenhaligon's
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Opus 1870

Opus 1870 is a masculine fragrance by Penhaligon's. The scent was launched in 2005

Reviews of Opus 1870

Nice scent with a fruity berry blast.
29th January, 2017
Really love the combination of Ciara Wood, Cedarwood, Australian Sandalwood, and Black Pepper in the opening. The Rose and Yuzu Fruit gives this fragrance the balance it needs to stand out among others. I just received this and am in love!! [As a side note...in Opus 1870's dry down, I detect a very reminiscent opening of Merchant Loup's woodiness, yet, unique...]

Overall, a lovely fragrance that I am going to have a field-day displaying!
27th November, 2016
This is a masterpiece, a true gentleman scent. I wear it when i have a dinner jacket party at the club.
02nd March, 2016
Why does Opus 1870 seem to embody the clichés of English ‘men’s ’ perfumery of the aftershave variety when clearly it is doing a few different things? Maybe it’s the discreet powdery florals tucked almost out of perception in the centre, or could it be the rather ho-hum quality it projects, or maybe it is just the emphasis on the fresh and bracing? Whatever, it is unusual for the above average dose of black pepper in the composition, which rests on a shaved pencil woods accord and is introduced by something citrusy with a hint of swimming pool bleach at the start.
The woods are clean and just shaved off and the pepper similarly has the liveliness and faint citric punch of the stuff that is just ground. But the presentation of these decent notes seems a touch indifferent and middle of the road – nothing here that is truly radiant. An offering that is likeable but not among the first tier of guests you want to invite to the party of your life.
27th November, 2015
So English, it bleeds red and white. Not Queen Victoria England but more Clive Owen and Daniel Craig. I know, I know, they hawk other non-English juice but I could easily see them wearing and being the face for Opus.

What’s Opus like? The opening is a refreshing blast of red fruit (I’m told it’s Yuzu but my local grocery store doesn’t have Yuzu so I’ll take their word for it) and black peppercorn (my local grocery store DOES have black peppercorn!). I’m not a big fan of red fruits but the commingling of black pepper really tampers the screechy fruit. From grocery store, we head straight into the heart of England – rose and cloves. It doesn’t get any more English than this. The plumy rose juxtaposed against the dark cloves really takes Opus into another direction. Opulent England. Red velvet and stiff upper lip England. There’s also a dash of cinnamon and incense that meld into the rose and clove accord. Slowly, we start to leave England and head to the cedar chest buried in Grandma’s closet. Warm, soothing cedar. Smells expensive and expansive at the same time. I can’t think of another fragrance in production that uses Cedar this well.

Performance, unlike the English national football team, is great. Easily lasts 7 or 8 hours and projects just at the right level. I should add that Opus only works in English weather – overcast, rainy, and cold. Don’t bother wearing Opus when the sun is high in the sky and temps are warm. Opus is best enjoyed on cold, winter nights.

05th November, 2015
Sampled while traveling in Chicago on a cool day. Opus is a nice, safe, clean scent that is less than anything memorable. It has a clean spice opening that is soft and short. The remaining duration is a wood laundry soap experience. Nothing very definitive, although I was in 60 degree weather and perhaps it needed a little body heat or humidity to open the silage.

It's a fragrance that would make a better room fresher or wardrobe deodorant than a men's cologne. Didn't turn me off, but not compelling either, so I give it a kind Neutral rating.
08th October, 2015 (last edited: 09th September, 2016)

Add your review of Opus 1870

Shop for Opus 1870 products online

Shop for Opus 1870 at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Opus 1870

Member images of Opus 1870

There are no member images of Opus 1870 yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Opus 1870