At The Beach 1966 (2005)

Year of Launch2005

HouseCB I Hate Perfume
PerfumerChristopher Brosius

About At The Beach 1966

At The Beach 1966 is a shared / unisex perfume by CB I Hate Perfume. The scent was launched in 2005 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Brosius

Reviews of At The Beach 1966

If a fragrance name was ever accurate and to the point, this is it.

Featuring a list of notes that you're certainly not going to find elsewhere (Coppertone 1967, North Atlantic Accord, Boardwalk, etc.), Chris Brosius put together a fragrance that just paints as realistic a picture as one can through scent. I certainly admire his take on perfumery, capturing snapshots of his childhood, other times in his life, or just concepts in general, and translating them into olfactory form.

This isn't to be experienced as a standard perfume with an opening, middle notes, then base. This is an all-at-once experience where if you close your eyes, you're transported to a time and place. Having grown up spending summer vacations in Ocean City, Sea Isle City, and other points along the New Jersey shore, this is the smell of those days, and it is accurate as can be. This may be listed as inspired by 1966, but I can tell you that it smelled the same in the '80s and '90s, and Brosius nailed the scent perfectly. I close my eyes, take a whiff, and I'm on the beach, with the boardwalk behind me, the surf in front of me. You can smell the ocean, the sand, the scent of suntan lotion from the people near you on the beach being carried by the ocean breeze coming off the water, the dried wood of the boardwalk...it's all there, and it's recreated masterfully.

And it's a wearable scent, too. It's not one of those olfactory experiences that accurately captures a scene, but is just impractical to wear and smells too out of place. This brings the beach to you. And for me, it is a recreation of a very real time and place that I can vividly recall, and it is 100% accurate and on the money. For those of you who have those memories of the beach back then, this is a real treat. For those of you who didn't experience it, now is your chance to step back in time to a wonderful melange of smells faithfully recreated in bottled form.

A big, big thumbs up for a very fun and extremely well-crafted scent.
08th August, 2019
This is a scent for me that evokes memories of my childhood sitting in the back of my parents big station wagon going for a day on the beach and I've slathered on Coppertone oil from head to toe and I'm excited that I'm going somewhere with my friends and we are going to have fun. In this context I think it is a really very interesting scent.

What Mr. Brosius has done is create an almost identical or better recreation of the old Coppertone oil from that period that is probably more appreciated by people that remember that scent.

Perfectly unisex that would suit someone going outside during the weekend with a surprisingly long skin scent time for a water based perfume. Moderate sillage detected, quite linear with restrained floral notes arising near the end but never too feminine.
Probably not for the office or formal evenings in the city so this full bottle should last me forever and I'm glad I have it.

27th January, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
An initial aquatic whiff of a bright and gentle sea breeze mingles with impression of mineralic vibes, sand, and dries wood. There is a hint of ozonic saltiness in the air, that in the drydown is joined by the notes of sun tan lotion and sea shells.

This scent tries to combine two sides that traditionally kept more separate. There is the sea-sand-beach-breeze side, epitomised by the likes of Erolfa and Bergamotto Marino, and the hot-beach-crowd-cum suntan lotion character, so well captured by Fire Island. This CB scent is less vivid and less intensive than these more pure and concentrated approaches, but therefore it manages to combine them well.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and seven hours of longevity on my skin. Overall this composition tries to marry the abovementioned different elements in one fragrance, not by separating them into separate sequentially presented phases, but by mixing then together in a concurrent pattern. And this is done well. 3.25/5.
18th January, 2016
Absolutely convincing from start to finish. What’s brilliant about this is that it’s not just the ocean or the sand, it’s the ocean sand and suntan lotion with emphasis placed on the latter. This is one of several in the line in which you smell it and struggle to imagine how he could have pulled this off on a technical level. It appears to be a yellow floral of some kind—something a bit buttery—combined with some salty aquatics that never feel like the aquatics that terrorize mainstream releases. While I’m not sure how it would function as a perfume unto itself (it’s linear, somewhat diaphanous, and smells literally like a beach), it’s a real showpiece for Brosius’ talents as faithful replicator of both environment and memory.
07th September, 2014
At the Beach 1966 is an extraordinarily accurate -- and extraordinarily *evocative* -- olfactory replication of a hot day at the beach in the northeastern United States in the late 1960s. For those of the right age and background to have memories of such days, this fragrance's effect can seem almost uncanny. One whiff and I can see the schmear of white zinc oxide on my Uncle Joel's nose and feel the elastic around the leg holes of my Speedo chafing me where the sand and salt got caught beneath it. This is not perfume as fashion, but perfume as art. It is a narrative rendered entirely in smell.

The narrative opens with the unmistakable sweet, chemical smell of Coppertone -- not current Coppertone, but the Coppertone suntan lotion of the late '60s and early '70s, back before anyone called it "sunscreen," back when only the palest and stodgiest of middle-aged grown-ups used the bottles that came with SPF ratings. It is a very distinctive smell, and in the context of this fragrance, it operates almost as a chevron pronouncing the time and place in a film might. It is the olfactory equivalent of a title card reading "August, 1966."

Having thus established the time frame of the narrative, the suntan lotion accord seems to recede somewhat, allowing other smells to come forward to share the spotlight. There is a realistic sea water accord, cold and so briney you can practically taste it. A touch of ozone gives the impression of the breeze coming off the water. Then there is the mineral tang of hot beach sand, the organic chalk of crushed shell. There is a dry and sun-bleached woody note: a boardwalk, perhaps, or possibly a set of silvered cedar planks laid as a pathway across some sharp-grassed dunes.

And then, as dry-down approaches, there comes what to me is the most extraordinary note of all: a smell that I can only describe as that of hot skin. Not the smell of sweat, mind you, but the smell of skin that has been heated by the sun. It is a hot sunny skin smell. So compelling was this illusion of warmth, of literal *heat,* in fact, that I actually found myself doing a touch test, just to convince myself that the skin where I had applied the fragrance wasn't really any warmer to the touch than my bare skin elsewhere. Now that is extraordinary.

While the show At the Beach puts on is stunningly evocative, it does not last very long -- not, at any rate, in the water perfume (the absolute might well last longer). In a few hours, it is all over save for a white musk rather reminiscent of dryer sheets, which sticks around for some time after the narrative proper has ended. But that's just as well, really. It's hard to imagine wearing this fragrance the same way one might wear, say, something that you slap on in the morning to smell nice for the next eight hours at your workplace. And frankly, I'm not sure if I'd really *want* to smell like mid-century suntan lotion all day long. A shorter duration seems more appropriate for a fragrance that acts so effectively as a window to another time, another place.

As a memory in a bottle.
12th November, 2012
I've been on a quest for quite some time to find a scent that was reminiscent of those warm, care free and sensual days of the beach. And yes, for me, that would include the scent of sun tan lotion. Very distinct one that just stimulates the mind whenever you smell it. If you're not a beach type, this probably sounds insane, if you are that type, then you KNOW what I'm taking about here.

Never seemed to find the right combination, and can tell you, coconut, fruit and rum just doesn't cut it. That lotion scent, however it is achieved, is a key component. Even went so far as to spritz on the now discontinued, light spray pump version of Coppertone - which actually works pretty well:)

Beach 1966 is AMAZING. It has reviewed well, so thought I would give it a try and bot the 100ml water version and crossed my fingers. Feared that it would smell WAY to much like a chemical, or that it was all a lie and would be just another sweet/fruity scent with a Beachy name.

It indeed captures the idea. Just a nice hint of the lotion, combined with scents of sand and marine. Very unisex in that it has a pleasant softer quality as well. A winner here!

$80 is not big deal for Beach 1966, for the 100ml will last for a very long time. And for those wanting their own sense of style and statement, it's pretty unique in that is appears to be available almost exclusively from CB and is a pretty well kept secret - one has to do some serious searching on the web just to find it!
28th July, 2012 (last edited: 05th August, 2012)

Add your review of At The Beach 1966

Shop for At The Beach 1966 products online

Member images of At The Beach 1966

There are no member images of At The Beach 1966 yet. Why not be the first?